modprobe psmouse - Slackware

This is a discussion on modprobe psmouse - Slackware ; I boot Slack 12.0 from a grub boot disk (cd) that is configured to use an initrd.gz file. I have been using vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp for the kernel. The (grub) instructions to use this kernel and the kernel file are both on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. modprobe psmouse

    I boot Slack 12.0 from a grub boot disk (cd) that is configured to use
    an initrd.gz file. I have been using vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    for the kernel. The (grub) instructions to use this kernel and the
    kernel file are both on the cd.

    So when I decided I wanted to try the vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.24.3-smp
    kernel I thought I knew what to do. I downloaded the kernel and
    modules from the Slackware packages page and installed by running
    installpkg. Then I made a new initrd.gz file that uses them, and I
    used that initrd.gz file to make a new grub boot disk.

    Well, it works. The new boot disk boots my Slackware 12.0 using the
    new kernel. Some graphics operations seem to go much faster.
    Otherwise I don't see much of a change. I was hoping that my
    DFE690-TXD (D-Link) pcmcia card bus nic would work with the new kernel,
    but it didn't help.

    But here's the question:

    Now with the new kernel one thing troubles me. My mouse is dead at the
    console and in Fvwm2 until I do

    modprobe psmouse

    Shouldn't udev be taking care of that for me? I had just barely gotten
    comfortable with Hotplug. I know almost nothing about udev, but it
    seems to me it isn't doing its job. Do I need to download and install
    a package that includes a new /etc/udev/rules.d?

    Or is it a bad idea to try to upgrade just the kernel and the modules
    as I have?

    -Joe

  2. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:52:47 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:

    > Now with the new kernel one thing troubles me. My mouse is dead at the
    > console and in Fvwm2 until I do
    >
    > modprobe psmouse

    I've the same issue with 2.6.24.3 from current that I'm fooling with on a
    laptop. I would have thought that doing modprobe psmouse would make that
    module load on next reboot but so far no luck. I'm going to keep
    whacking away at it today and will report any success.

  3. Re: modprobe psmouse

    "mr.b" (mist@b.com) writes:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:52:47 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:
    >

    >> Now with the new kernel one thing troubles me. My mouse is dead at the
    >> console and in Fvwm2 until I do
    >>
    >> modprobe psmouse

    > I've the same issue with 2.6.24.3 from current that I'm fooling with on a
    > laptop. I would have thought that doing modprobe psmouse would make that
    > module load on next reboot but so far no luck. I'm going to keep
    > whacking away at it today and will report any success.

    Why would doing it once ensure it was loaded next time you reboot?

    modprobe is a command to load a kernel module. That's all it does, well
    with the right flag you can remove a module.

    If you want a given module, you either have to recompile the kernel and
    include that module, or have one of the startup scripts, in /etc/rc.d run
    modprobe on that module.

    rc.local might be the place to put it, I'm not sure if that's the best
    place.

    The bigger question would be why the specific module isn't loaded
    each time things are rebooted. In standard Slack 12, it's there without
    the user needing to do anything.

    Michael

  4. Re: modprobe psmouse

    Michael Black wrote :

    > rc.local might be the place to put it, I'm not sure if that's the best
    > place.

    The canonical way to do it would be putting it in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: modprobe psmouse

    Thomas Overgaard (thover@post2.tele.dk) writes:
    > Michael Black wrote :
    >
    >> rc.local might be the place to put it, I'm not sure if that's the best
    >> place.

    > The canonical way to do it would be putting it in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

    You're right.

    Michael

  6. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:24:00 +0000, Michael Black wrote:

    > Why would doing it once ensure it was loaded next time you reboot?

    because I misunderstood how modprobe worked

    > The bigger question would be why the specific module isn't loaded each
    > time things are rebooted. In standard Slack 12, it's there without the
    > user needing to do anything.

    well this kernel is from _current_

  7. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:31:27 +0100, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > The canonical way to do it would be putting it in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

    thank you, my reading had led me to this

  8. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:31:27 +0100, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Michael Black wrote :
    >
    >> rc.local might be the place to put it, I'm not sure if that's the best
    >> place.

    > The canonical way to do it would be putting it in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

    And in the recent updates that was slightly modified
    and we're now supposed to use the "new" way which is
    to set up a file in the modprobe dir:
    $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse
    options psmouse proto=imps

    (You'll find comments about it in the rc.modules-2.6.24.3 file)

  9. Re: modprobe psmouse

    loki harfagr (loki@theDarkDesign.free.fr) writes:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:31:27 +0100, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Black wrote :
    >>
    >>> rc.local might be the place to put it, I'm not sure if that's the best
    >>> place.

    >> The canonical way to do it would be putting it in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

    > And in the recent updates that was slightly modified
    > and we're now supposed to use the "new" way which is
    > to set up a file in the modprobe dir:
    > $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse
    > options psmouse proto=imps
    >
    > (You'll find comments about it in the rc.modules-2.6.24.3 file)

    That's why I wasn't sure exactly of the right place. A couple of
    weeks ago I did want something loaded on booting, and I looked into
    it and that was the other place suggested for it.

    What's worth mentioning is that in the standard kernels in Slack 12,
    both
    /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.21.5
    /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp
    have lines to modprobe psmouse

    So either that line is missing from the rc.modules associated with
    the later kernel, or there isn't such a config file.

    I note that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules is a link to the needed
    rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp so perhaps that link needs to be made in
    the case of the original poster?

    Michael

  10. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:52:47 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:

    > Now with the new kernel one thing troubles me. My mouse is dead at the
    > console and in Fvwm2 until I do
    >
    > modprobe psmouse

    solved.

    first off, none of this worked:

    1. touch /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse
    2. vi psmouse -->adding options psmouse proto=imps
    3. linking /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to rc.modules-2.6.24.3
    4. reboot

    this worked:
    uncommenting line 56 in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.24.3
    /sbin/modprobe psmouse proto=imps

    HTH

  11. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:19:05 +0000, Michael Black wrote:

    > loki harfagr (loki@theDarkDesign.free.fr) writes:

    >>> The canonical way to do it would be putting it in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

    >> And in the recent updates that was slightly modified
    >> and we're now supposed to use the "new" way which is to set up a file
    >> in the modprobe dir: $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse
    >> options psmouse proto=imps
    >>
    >> (You'll find comments about it in the rc.modules-2.6.24.3 file)

    > That's why I wasn't sure exactly of the right place. A couple of weeks
    > ago I did want something loaded on booting, and I looked into it and
    > that was the other place suggested for it.
    >
    > What's worth mentioning is that in the standard kernels in Slack 12,
    > both
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.21.5
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp
    > have lines to modprobe psmouse
    >
    > So either that line is missing from the rc.modules associated with the
    > later kernel, or there isn't such a config file.

    I'd say only the "TEAM" and Pat would give a correct answer on this
    but my sentiment on it is that's there is no simple way, now in the 2.6*
    generation to devine if a machine really *MUST* or *NOT* or *MAY*
    need to be under a -smp arch and as time goes by it'll soon be
    just a footstep on parched sand ;-)
    I just don't know why the rc.modules-2.6.24* aren't 'cp -l'ed ?
    (may be some machines tested by Pat&|Team needed different blood)

    > I note that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules is a link to the needed
    > rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp so perhaps that link needs to be made in the
    > case of the original poster?

    That's a fact :-)

  12. Re: modprobe psmouse

    mr.b wrote:

    [snip]

    > solved.

    > first off, none of this worked:

    > 1. touch /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse
    > 2. vi psmouse -->adding options psmouse proto=imps
    > 3. linking /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to rc.modules-2.6.24.3
    > 4. reboot

    > this worked:
    > uncommenting line 56 in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.24.3
    > /sbin/modprobe psmouse proto=imps

    > HTH

    Hello, OP here.

    My tests agree with the above, however I took some time to "read the
    manual". Doing

    man modprobe.d

    gave some distressing nonsense. It needs to be re-written. I think
    perhaps it was saying that the options command only sets options and
    doesn't actually do the modprobe. The install command looked like it
    might do a modprobe, but I couldn't tell. Neither did I test it.

    For now I'll use a rc.modules-2.6.24.3-smp with "/sbin/modprobe psmouse
    proto=imps" in it.

    Sad that the recommendation in rc.modules-2.6.24.3-smp wasn't clear (or
    correct) enough that I could follow it.

    -Joe

  13. Re: modprobe psmouse

    Michael Black wrote:

    [snip]

    > I note that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules is a link to the needed
    > rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp so perhaps that link needs to be made in
    > the case of the original poster?

    I got it, thanks.

    And I don't know if they are needed, but I also updated the three links
    in /boot

    System.map
    config
    vmlinuz

    I would guess that of these three only config matters since I'm booting
    from a boot disk, but I'm guessing.

    Nice to have everything set to right. Did I miss anything?

    -Joe

  14. Re: modprobe psmouse

    Joseph Rosevear (joe@max.hopto.org) writes:
    > Michael Black wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> I note that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules is a link to the needed
    >> rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp so perhaps that link needs to be made in
    >> the case of the original poster?

    > I got it, thanks.
    >
    > And I don't know if they are needed, but I also updated the three links
    > in /boot
    >
    > System.map
    > config
    > vmlinuz
    >
    > I would guess that of these three only config matters since I'm booting
    > from a boot disk, but I'm guessing.

    Those links are in case there are things that expect the short name, or
    maybe because there are things that expect the short name (I don't know).

    YOu could just rename the things that they point to, but then it wouldn't
    be so clear which version you are using. vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 is far
    mroe descriptive than a mere "vmlinuz". This is especially so when you
    have multiple kernels.

    I don't know what might expect just the short names. I have a separte
    boot partition, and I just put everything in there with its original names,
    and there's no problem.

    Booting would not be the issue, because with both lilo and grub, you have
    to specify the kernel you want to use, so they aren't use whatever is
    labelled "vmlinuz".

    config is what was compiled into the associated kernel. Thus you can
    tell what's in there. Putting it in the /boot directory is just a convenient
    way of keeping it with the actual kernel.

    system.map may be the one of the three that actually is used by programs
    by that name.

    Michael

  15. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 01:25:25 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:
    > Doing man modprobe.d
    >
    > gave some distressing nonsense. It needs to be re-written. I think
    > perhaps it was saying that the options command only sets options and
    > doesn't actually do the modprobe.

    yes I read it that way... listed as a command in /etc/modprobe.d/
    psmouse does not actually load the module, there needs be a
    call from some location...I'm thinking a correct syntax might be to have
    listed in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.24.3 and psmouse proto=imps listed in /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse

    furthermore, I have just tested the above and it works...it does appear
    to be nothing more than a syntax question and your observation about the
    lack of clarity of the man page is valid

  16. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:27:42 +0000, mr.b wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 01:25:25 +0000, Joseph Rosevear wrote:
    >> Doing man modprobe.d
    >>
    >> gave some distressing nonsense. It needs to be re-written. I think
    >> perhaps it was saying that the options command only sets options and
    >> doesn't actually do the modprobe.

    > yes I read it that way... listed as a command in
    > /etc/modprobe.d/ psmouse does not actually load the module, there needs
    > be a call from some location...I'm thinking a correct syntax
    > might be to have listed in
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.24.3 and > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse

    Well, not so sure:

    nothing in blacklist:
    ------
    $# grep psmouse /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    ------

    options in hand:
    ------
    $# grep psmouse /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse
    # The default options when the psmouse module is loaded will completely
    options psmouse proto=imps
    ------

    nothing in the sleeves:
    ------
    $# grep psmouse /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
    # for the psmouse module is in /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.
    #/sbin/modprobe psmouse proto=imps
    ------

    your card was Queen of Hearts
    ------
    $# lsmod | grep psmou
    psmouse 40336 0
    ------

    > furthermore, I have just tested the above and it works...

    It certainly won'd do any harm to try to load the module twice :-)

    > it does appear
    > to be nothing more than a syntax question and your observation about the
    > lack of clarity of the man page is valid

    Now, as for the clarity of the page I reckon it's sadly on the level
    with most of the Linux manpages...
    Not to mention the mythic tool "generate_modprobe.conf" that's nowhere to
    be seen in the distro ;D) (or did I miss a package some time?)

  17. Re: modprobe psmouse

    Hallo, loki,

    Du meintest am 23.03.08:

    > Not to mention the mythic tool "generate_modprobe.conf" that's
    > nowhere to be seen in the distro ;D) (or did I miss a package some
    > time?)

    It should be included in older "module-init-tools", try

    ls /sbin/generate*

    I had found it last time in "module-init-tools-3.2.2-i486-1"

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  18. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On 2008-03-23, Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > Hallo, loki,
    >
    > Du meintest am 23.03.08:
    >
    >> Not to mention the mythic tool "generate_modprobe.conf" that's
    >> nowhere to be seen in the distro ;D) (or did I miss a package some
    >> time?)

    > It should be included in older "module-init-tools", try
    >
    > ls /sbin/generate*
    >
    > I had found it last time in "module-init-tools-3.2.2-i486-1"

    That was removed intentionally - its only purpose was to automatically
    generate a modprobe.conf file from the contents of the old modules.conf
    (or whatever it was that older modutils used - it escapes my memory now).

    BTW, I'm working on a generic reply to the rest of this thread.

    -RW

  19. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On 2008-03-22, Joseph Rosevear wrote:
    > I boot Slack 12.0 from a grub boot disk (cd) that is configured to use
    > an initrd.gz file. I have been using vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
    > for the kernel. The (grub) instructions to use this kernel and the
    > kernel file are both on the cd.
    >
    > So when I decided I wanted to try the vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.24.3-smp
    > kernel I thought I knew what to do. I downloaded the kernel and
    > modules from the Slackware packages page and installed by running
    > installpkg. Then I made a new initrd.gz file that uses them, and I
    > used that initrd.gz file to make a new grub boot disk.
    >
    > SNIPPED
    >
    > Now with the new kernel one thing troubles me. My mouse is dead at the
    > console and in Fvwm2 until I do
    >
    > modprobe psmouse
    >
    > Shouldn't udev be taking care of that for me? I had just barely gotten
    > comfortable with Hotplug. I know almost nothing about udev, but it
    > seems to me it isn't doing its job. Do I need to download and install
    > a package that includes a new /etc/udev/rules.d?
    >
    > Or is it a bad idea to try to upgrade just the kernel and the modules
    > as I have?

    Well, it's a good idea to keep kernel, udev, and module-init-tools synced
    with whatever ships together in Slackware-$VERSION, as they are sometimes
    (perhaps even often) tied together.

    That being said, here's a snippet from -current's CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT:

    [start]
    The pcspkr module is no longer loaded by default in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules,
    and there are many other changes to rc.modules, including commented options
    to load various acpi modules.

    The version of module-init-tools in -current now respects the blacklisted
    modules in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, even if there are aliases pointing
    to them, so pcspkr should not be autoloaded any more against the wishes
    of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

    The psmouse module is no longer blacklisted by default; instead, it is loaded
    with the imps protocol per /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse -- if you need/want a
    different protocol, edit that file.

    The /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file has been changed significantly; be sure to
    move/merge the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.new file in its place.
    [stop]

    To clarify, and as someone else already surmised in another post in this
    thread, the things in /etc/modprobe.d/* do not actually *load* any modules;
    instead, they specify options and/or additional parameters or even alternate
    actions to take when a module is loaded. IOW, in -current, we're not
    blacklisting the psmouse module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, so the info
    in /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse should cause it to be loaded with proto=imps by
    default. This *requires* that the /etc/modprobe.d/*.new files are moved into
    place though.

    As always, other options are just as valid if they work for you -- for example,
    I have everything in /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse commented out, as I want the
    psmouse module loaded with the default kernel options (the 3rd party synaptics
    xorg modules requires that).

    -RW

  20. Re: modprobe psmouse

    On 2008-03-22, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:19:05 +0000, Michael Black wrote:
    >
    >> loki harfagr (loki@theDarkDesign.free.fr) writes:

    >>> And in the recent updates that was slightly modified
    >>> and we're now supposed to use the "new" way which is to set up a file
    >>> in the modprobe dir: $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse
    >>> options psmouse proto=imps
    >>>
    >>> (You'll find comments about it in the rc.modules-2.6.24.3 file)

    >> That's why I wasn't sure exactly of the right place. A couple of weeks
    >> ago I did want something loaded on booting, and I looked into it and
    >> that was the other place suggested for it.
    >>
    >> What's worth mentioning is that in the standard kernels in Slack 12,
    >> both
    >> /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.21.5
    >> /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp
    >> have lines to modprobe psmouse
    >>
    >> So either that line is missing from the rc.modules associated with the
    >> later kernel, or there isn't such a config file.

    > I'd say only the "TEAM" and Pat would give a correct answer on this
    > but my sentiment on it is that's there is no simple way, now in the 2.6*
    > generation to devine if a machine really *MUST* or *NOT* or *MAY*
    > need to be under a -smp arch and as time goes by it'll soon be
    > just a footstep on parched sand ;-)
    > I just don't know why the rc.modules-2.6.24* aren't 'cp -l'ed ?
    > (may be some machines tested by Pat&|Team needed different blood)

    Well, if you're going to be making edits to rc.modules that you want
    to stick around across kernel version updates, a much better choice is
    rc.modules.local:

    $ cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.local
    #!/bin/sh
    # rc.modules 12.1 Wed Mar 5 23:51:09 CST 2008 pp (rb), pjv
    # Customized version for rc.modules.local -- 20080323 rlw
    #
    # This file loads extra drivers into the Linux kernel.
    #
    # Determine the version of the running kernel:
    RELEASE=$(uname -r)

    ### Update module dependencies ###
    # If /usr is mounted and we have 'find', we can try to take a shortcut:
    if [ -x /usr/bin/find -a -e /lib/modules/$RELEASE/modules.dep \
    -a /lib/modules/$RELEASE/modules.dep -nt /etc/modules.conf ]; then
    NEWMODS="$(/usr/bin/find /lib/modules/$RELEASE -type f -mindepth 2 -newer /lib/modules/$RELEASE/modules.dep)"
    # Only rebuild dependencies if new module(s) are found:
    if [ ! "" = "$NEWMODS" ]; then
    echo "Updating module dependencies for Linux $RELEASE:"
    /sbin/depmod -a
    else
    echo "Module dependencies up to date (no new kernel modules found)."
    fi
    else # we don't have find, or there is no existing modules.dep, or it is out of date.
    echo "Updating module dependencies for Linux $RELEASE:"
    /sbin/depmod -A
    fi

    # ACPI Stuff
    modprobe acpi_cpufreq
    modprobe thinkpad_acpi
    modprobe ac
    modprobe video
    modprobe thermal
    modprobe processor
    modprobe fan
    modprobe button
    modprobe battery
    modprobe nvram

    # Power scaling
    modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
    modprobe cpufreq_conservative

    # Modules for PPTP VPN
    modprobe ppp_mppe
    modprobe nf_conntrack_pptp

    $

    Some of those (particularly the acpi modules) probably aren't needed any
    more with 2.6.24.x kernels, but they don't hurt anything either, and at
    least you get the idea I'm trying to get across.

    Oh, btw, have a look at rc.S if you're curious about where rc.modules.local
    came from

    -RW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast