2.2 kernel based os? - Slackware

This is a discussion on 2.2 kernel based os? - Slackware ; I need to setup an os with a 2.2 kernel in order to support the iBCS module. I'll need a minimal userland with SSHD and the ability to compile the kernel. The ability to keep SSHD up to date is ...

  1. 2.2 kernel based os?

    I need to setup an os with a 2.2 kernel in order to support the iBCS module.
    I'll need a minimal userland with SSHD and the ability to compile the
    kernel. The ability to keep SSHD up to date is a requirement. Anyone see a
    straightforward way to do this?

    Cheers!

  2. Re: 2.2 kernel based os?

    "FanJet" wrote:
    > I need to setup an os with a 2.2 kernel in order to support the iBCS module.

    The last Slackware using kernel 2.2 is Slackware 8.0 from year 2001.

    > I'll need a minimal userland with SSHD and the ability to compile the
    > kernel. The ability to keep SSHD up to date is a requirement.

    AFAIK Slackware 8.0 is no longer maintained with security patches. To keep
    sshd up to date you will have to download the and compile it yourself
    whenever thers is an update you want.

    You should also keep in mind that running an OS from 2001 on recent
    hardware might not work. Things lika SATA-disks and modern network
    controllers are not known by the 2.2 kernel. In short you will probably
    also have to find hardware from that age.

    Another solution might be to run Slackware 8.0 within qemu or another
    virtual computer on a modern PC running a modern distribution like
    Slackware 12.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: 2.2 kernel based os?

    FanJet wrote:
    > I need to setup an os with a 2.2 kernel in order to support the iBCS module.
    > I'll need a minimal userland with SSHD and the ability to compile the
    > kernel. The ability to keep SSHD up to date is a requirement. Anyone see a
    > straightforward way to do this?

    appears to have patches for 2.4 kernels and even
    a set for 2.6.11. can't you use one of those? then you'd at least be able
    to use a somewhat more modern kernel...

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  4. Re: 2.2 kernel based os?

    "Joost Kremers" wrote in message
    news:slrnfu7dav.lv7.joostkremers@j.kremers4.news.a rnhem.chello.nl...
    > FanJet wrote:
    >> I need to setup an os with a 2.2 kernel in order to support the iBCS
    >> module.
    >> I'll need a minimal userland with SSHD and the ability to compile the
    >> kernel. The ability to keep SSHD up to date is a requirement. Anyone see
    >> straightforward way to do this?

    > appears to have patches for 2.4 kernels and even
    > a set for 2.6.11. can't you use one of those? then you'd at least be able
    > to use a somewhat more modern kernel...

    I've managed to get what I need using the ABI patch and RH 9 (kernel
    2.4.20). I do have a boxed copy of Slack 9 but could not get 2.4.20 to
    compile. Now it's a matter of finding some hardware to run this on. 2.4
    isn't that far behind so I think it's doable. BTW, the latest of both SSL
    and OpensSSH compiled correctly on RH9 so overall, I could probably keep
    this setup running forever.

    Thanks very much for the pointers!!

+ Reply to Thread