rt2500 +slack12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on rt2500 +slack12 - Slackware ; Intro; Having a little fun with an HP zt1155 laptop. Have installed a pc2700 ram stick into it and it is detected and runs just fine despite the specs calling for pc2100. Have installed the full 2.6.24.3-smp kernel set (headers, ...

  1. rt2500 +slack12

    Intro;
    Having a little fun with an HP zt1155 laptop. Have installed a pc2700
    ram stick into it and it is detected and runs just fine despite the specs
    calling for pc2100. Have installed the full 2.6.24.3-smp kernel set
    (headers, source, modules, kernel) from current and it boots and runs
    fine.

    Glitches;
    1: I have to do modprobe psmouse to get the kernel to recognize the
    touchpad, but I'll get that sorted out shortly.
    2: lsmod shows all relevant modules related to the rt2500 usb wifi I
    have attached, yet no amount of voodoo will light this badboy up.

    Research;
    has brought me to Eric Hameleer's rt2500 site...whoa!

    Questions:
    1. if the kernel is showing all of the relevant modules for the rt2500
    as having been loaded, do I need to install the actual driver that Eric
    maintains?
    2. if yes, the newest driver in Eric's slackbuild -current directory
    seems to be for the 2.6.23.1 kernel. Is this alright to use with a newer
    kernel?

    OT questions:
    1. How do you guys feel about 58C as an operating temperature for a P4M
    cpu?
    2. Who's going to win the Marathon at Beijing this summer?
    3. Just why is Pilsner Urquel so damn tasty anyways?

  2. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:36:04 +0000, mr.b wrote:

    > 1. How do you guys feel about 58C as an operating temperature for a P4M
    > cpu?

    How did you get that? Pack it in ice???? Mine run at like 70C on a cool
    day.

    > 2. Who's going to win the Marathon at Beijing this summer?

    No-one, all the athletes will die of air pollution before the finish.

    > 3. Just why is Pilsner Urquel so damn tasty anyways?

    You're deluded. It's ****e.

  3. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:15:29 +0100, marksouth wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:36:04 +0000, mr.b wrote:
    >
    >> 1. How do you guys feel about 58C as an operating temperature for a
    >> P4M cpu?

    > How did you get that? Pack it in ice???? Mine run at like 70C on a
    > cool day.

    well I am posting from the Great White North...being packed in ice is
    situation normal from Dec->Mar (and here I was worried about frying the
    damn thing)

    >> 2. Who's going to win the Marathon at Beijing this summer?

    > No-one, all the athletes will die of air pollution before the finish.

    heh...yes they will suffer...oh yes

    >> 3. Just why is Pilsner Urquel so damn tasty anyways?

    > You're deluded. It's ****e.

    hmmm..."****e"...poster is perhaps from the UK...maybe even Scotland...
    one question master mark...which is better, northern style bitters or
    southern?
    tick-tock-tick-tock

  4. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:54:21 +0000, mr.b wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:15:29 +0100, marksouth wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:36:04 +0000, mr.b wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1. How do you guys feel about 58C as an operating temperature for a
    >>> P4M cpu?

    >> How did you get that? Pack it in ice???? Mine run at like 70C on a
    >> cool day.

    > well I am posting from the Great White North...being packed in ice is
    > situation normal from Dec->Mar (and here I was worried about frying the
    > damn thing)

    I really think that would count as running cool for a P4. Anything else
    would have fried by now, but P4s are "differently abled" from other
    processors.

    Imagine if Intel had picked them to make their dual core CPUs....

    >>> 2. Who's going to win the Marathon at Beijing this summer?

    >> No-one, all the athletes will die of air pollution before the finish.

    > heh...yes they will suffer...oh yes

    If the drugs don't kill them first.

    >>> 3. Just why is Pilsner Urquel so damn tasty anyways?

    >> You're deluded. It's ****e.

    > hmmm..."****e"...poster is perhaps from the UK...maybe even Scotland...

    Not even close :-)

    > one question master mark...which is better, northern style bitters or
    > southern?

    It's personal choice really, but I prefer Ales down South and Bitters up
    north. A few years back I spent a very pleasant evening with a group of
    friends at the Black Sheep Brewery, which allows me to state with
    confidence that I *can* organise a piss-up in a brewery.

    ;-)

  5. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:36:04 -0000, "mr.b" wrote:

    >Intro;
    >Having a little fun with an HP zt1155 laptop. Have installed a pc2700
    >ram stick into it and it is detected and runs just fine despite the specs
    >calling for pc2100. Have installed the full 2.6.24.3-smp kernel set
    >(headers, source, modules, kernel) from current and it boots and runs
    >fine.
    >
    >Glitches;
    >1: I have to do modprobe psmouse to get the kernel to recognize the
    >touchpad, but I'll get that sorted out shortly.
    >2: lsmod shows all relevant modules related to the rt2500 usb wifi I
    >have attached, yet no amount of voodoo will light this badboy up.
    >
    >Research;
    >has brought me to Eric Hameleer's rt2500 site...whoa!
    >
    >Questions:
    >1. if the kernel is showing all of the relevant modules for the rt2500
    >as having been loaded, do I need to install the actual driver that Eric
    >maintains?
    >2. if yes, the newest driver in Eric's slackbuild -current directory
    >seems to be for the 2.6.23.1 kernel. Is this alright to use with a newer
    >kernel?

    Tried these from serialmonkey ?
    http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt2500-cvs-daily.tar.gz

    >OT questions:
    >1. How do you guys feel about 58C as an operating temperature for a P4M
    >cpu?

    Room temperature here ..... well, not far off
    >2. Who's going to win the Marathon at Beijing this summer?

    Don't watch TV. It IS a TV program, right ?
    >3. Just why is Pilsner Urquel so damn tasty anyways?

    ? I don't drink

  6. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    > >2: lsmod shows all relevant modules related to the rt2500 usb wifi I
    > >have attached, yet no amount of voodoo will light this badboy up.

    > Tried these from serialmonkey ?
    > http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt2500-cvs-daily.tar.gz

    I have an RT2500 device that has a USB plug on a ~ 1 meter
    long cable that attaches to an antenna at the end. Thought
    this would be cute for trying out high gain variants of the
    infamous WiFi "Pringles cantenna". That was over a year ago,
    but I also had a lot of problems getting it to work. It did
    work fine under Windows on same box, so clearly software
    issue. I hope you will be kind enough to tell us about your
    progress.

    Dominic

  7. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    One point I can offer that could help is to check
    exactly which RT2500 you have and relate this to the
    kernel/software you are using. I ended up getting some
    drivers from the Ralink company. There were different
    drivers for different RT25xx chips AND kernels. They did
    not have a driver that exactly matched both my specific
    RT25xx (RT2550???) AND kernel (2.6.x.x) AND ALSO what
    the Linux Wifi software expected. The Linux software
    specified it worked with RT2500, and apparently they
    meant exatly RT2500 and not RT2550 and others. Maybe
    you should check your chipset with lsusb (don't
    remember) and be sure to specify this exactly when
    discussing this problem. Again, this was about a
    year ago. I do not remember exact details. I hope
    this gives ideas what to look for.

    Dominic

  8. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:38:46 +0100, Dominic-Luc Webb wrote:

    > One point I can offer that could help is to check exactly which RT2500
    > you have and relate this to the kernel/software you are using. I ended
    > up getting some drivers from the Ralink company. There were different
    > drivers for different RT25xx chips AND kernels. They did not have a
    > driver that exactly matched both my specific RT25xx (RT2550???) AND
    > kernel (2.6.x.x) AND ALSO what the Linux Wifi software expected. The
    > Linux software specified it worked with RT2500, and apparently they
    > meant exatly RT2500 and not RT2550 and others. Maybe you should check
    > your chipset with lsusb (don't remember) and be sure to specify this
    > exactly when discussing this problem. Again, this was about a year ago.
    > I do not remember exact details. I hope this gives ideas what to look
    > for.
    >
    > Dominic

    merci Dominic, the exact item is an rt2750 and I've been trying to use
    the same meter extension wire you mention...I'll give the serialmonkey
    cvs source a try and then look at ralink's site this weekend

  9. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:55:54 -0300, Shadow wrote:

    > Tried these from serialmonkey ?
    > http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt2500-cvs-daily.tar.gz

    thanks will look again

    >>OT questions:
    >>1. How do you guys feel about 58C as an operating temperature for a P4M
    >>cpu?

    > Room temperature here ..... well, not far off

    you posting from Hell?

    >>2. Who's going to win the Marathon at Beijing this summer?

    > Don't watch TV. It IS a TV program, right ?

    not for the kids running the race it isn't

    >>3. Just why is Pilsner Urquel so damn tasty anyways?

    > ? I don't drink

    well, good on you then!

  10. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, mister b wrote:

    > merci Dominic, the exact item is an rt2750 and I've been trying to use
    > the same meter extension wire you mention...I'll give the serialmonkey
    > cvs source a try and then look at ralink's site this weekend

    I am stuck at home this holiday weekend, so planned on tinkering
    with this anyway. I will try and dig up what I have.

    If you contact Ralink as I did (maybe a good idea), remember
    to mention you are using Slackware (12.0 ???) and which kernel.
    Maybe not bad to send the lsusb output for clarity.

    Dominic

  11. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, mister b wrote:

    > merci Dominic, the exact item is an rt2750

    The top of the Seamonkey site has a link to a specific
    driver for the rt2750

    Dominic

  12. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:29:29 +0100, Dominic-Luc Webb wrote:

    > The top of the Seamonkey site has a link to a specific driver for the
    > rt2750

    ughhh...this is getting ugly

    bash-3.1# make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.3'
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.o
    /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c: In function 'usb_rtusb_probe':
    /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c:1859: error: implicit declaration
    of function 'SET_MODULE_OWNER'
    /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c:1883: error: 'struct net_device'
    has no member named 'weight'
    /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c:1905: error: 'dev_base'
    undeclared (first use in this function)
    /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c:1905: error: (Each undeclared
    identifier is reported only once
    /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c:1905: error: for each function it
    appears in.)
    /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c:1905: error: 'struct net_device'
    has no member named 'next'
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.3'
    rt2570.ko failed to build!
    make: *** [module] Error 1

    I don't know where to go with this next

  13. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008, mr.b wrote:
    > > rt2750

    > ughhh...this is getting ugly
    >
    > bash-3.1# make
    > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.3'
    > CC [M] /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.o
    > /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c: In function 'usb_rtusb_probe':
    > /tmp/rt2570-1.1.0-b2/Module/rtusb_main.c:1859: error: implicit declaration
    > of function 'SET_MODULE_OWNER'

    BUG report to sea monkey? From the message, we can speculate
    a permissions problem. Do you compile as root? I am pretty
    sure some of the modules I got (not for your chipset sadly)
    was pre-compiled. you may want to ask Ralink directly.

    Dominic

  14. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:41:59 +0100, Dominic-Luc Webb wrote:

    > BUG report to sea monkey? From the message, we can speculate a
    > permissions problem. Do you compile as root? I am pretty sure some of
    > the modules I got (not for your chipset sadly) was pre-compiled. you may
    > want to ask Ralink directly.

    yes I will forward the debug report to serialmonkey...I am compiling as
    root...compiling as a user got 3 or 4 lines further and then borked...I
    got the ralink driver from their site and I got to a point where I was to
    convert a .dat file, but it required installing a program called
    dos2unix...almost more trouble than it's worth to me at this point

  15. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    On 2008-03-23, mr.b wrote:

    > convert a .dat file, but it required installing a program called
    > dos2unix...almost more trouble than it's worth to me at this point

    fromdos < file.dat > file.dat.unix ; mv file.dat.unix file.dat

    -RW

  16. Re: rt2500 +slack12

    mr b. wrote :

    > compiling as a user got 3 or 4 lines further and then borked

    I downloaded rt2570-1.1.0-b2.tar.gz and ran 'make' just to see if I
    could find whats wrong but it went without any errors. So maybe the
    package you have downloaded is somehow b0rken:
    $ md5sum rt2570-1.1.0-b2.tar.gz
    f4131d670920a878b4d4a0f5d4d8b93a rt2570-1.1.0-b2.tar.gz
    --
    Thomas O.