starting cupsd at boot - Slackware

This is a discussion on starting cupsd at boot - Slackware ; I configured CUPS to print to my HP Laserjet 1012. However, when I installed Slackware 12.0, I didn't configure it to start cupsd at boot time. I would like to fix this, but I cant figure out from Slackware Essentials ...

  1. starting cupsd at boot

    I configured CUPS to print to my HP Laserjet 1012.

    However, when I installed Slackware 12.0, I didn't configure it to
    start cupsd at boot time.

    I would like to fix this, but I cant figure out from Slackware
    Essentials or Running Linux exactly where to do this.

    I've looked through inittab, inetd, rc.inet1 and rc.inet2, thinking I
    might find some code to uncomment. Can someone give me some direction
    here?

    Thanks & Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    On Mar 5, 12:15 am, Vwaju wrote:
    > I configured CUPS to print to my HP Laserjet 1012.
    >
    > However, when I installed Slackware 12.0, I didn't configure it to
    > start cupsd at boot time.
    >
    > I would like to fix this, but I cant figure out from Slackware
    > Essentials or Running Linux exactly where to do this.
    >
    > I've looked through inittab, inetd, rc.inet1 and rc.inet2, thinking I
    > might find some code to uncomment. Can someone give me some direction
    > here?
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    su
    chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.cups

  3. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    On Mar 4, 6:21 pm, simesmindl...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 12:15 am, Vwaju wrote:
    >
    > > I configured CUPS to print to my HP Laserjet 1012.

    > > However, when I installed Slackware 12.0, I didn't configure it to
    > > start cupsd at boot time.

    > > I would like to fix this, but I cant figure out from Slackware
    > > Essentials or Running Linux exactly where to do this.

    > > I've looked through inittab, inetd, rc.inet1 and rc.inet2, thinking I
    > > might find some code to uncomment. Can someone give me some direction
    > > here?

    > > Thanks & Best Regards,
    > > Vwaju
    > > New York City

    > su
    > chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.cups

    Yes, thank you. So somewhere, there is a script that checks to see if
    rc.cups is executable and if it is, runs it. Can you tell me what the
    script is that runs rc.cups? (I tried to write a script with a for-
    loop to grep all the files in rc.d for rc.cups, but my shell
    programming is a little rusty...)

    Thanks & Best Regards
    Vwaju
    New York City

  4. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Vwaju wrote:

    > On Mar 4, 6:21 pm, simesmindl...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Mar 5, 12:15 am, Vwaju wrote:
    >>
    >>> I configured CUPS to print to my HP Laserjet 1012.

    >>> However, when I installed Slackware 12.0, I didn't configure it to
    >>> start cupsd at boot time.

    >>> I would like to fix this, but I cant figure out from Slackware
    >>> Essentials or Running Linux exactly where to do this.

    >>> I've looked through inittab, inetd, rc.inet1 and rc.inet2, thinking I
    >>> might find some code to uncomment. Can someone give me some direction
    >>> here?

    >>> Thanks & Best Regards,
    >>> Vwaju
    >>> New York City

    >> su
    >> chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.cups

    > Yes, thank you. So somewhere, there is a script that checks to see if
    > rc.cups is executable and if it is, runs it. Can you tell me what the

    rc.M

    > script is that runs rc.cups? (I tried to write a script with a for-
    > loop to grep all the files in rc.d for rc.cups, but my shell
    > programming is a little rusty...)

    I'll say it has if you've forgotten grep

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  5. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:22:03 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > Yes, thank you. So somewhere, there is a script that checks to see if
    > rc.cups is executable and if it is, runs it. Can you tell me what the
    > script is that runs rc.cups? (I tried to write a script with a for-
    > loop to grep all the files in rc.d for rc.cups, but my shell
    > programming is a little rusty...)

    Is it all that difficult to cd to /etc/rc.d and grep for cups?

  6. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:22:03 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > Yes, thank you. So somewhere, there is a script that checks to see if
    > rc.cups is executable and if it is, runs it. Can you tell me what the
    > script is that runs rc.cups?

    /etc/rc.d/rc.M

    > (I tried to write a script with a for-loop to grep all the files in rc.d
    > for rc.cups, but my shell programming is a little rusty...)

    Dude.

    cd /etc/rc.d
    grep cups *

  7. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    Vwaju wrote:
    >rc.cups is executable and if it is, runs it. Can you tell me what the
    >script is that runs rc.cups? (I tried to write a script with a for-
    >loop to grep all the files in rc.d for rc.cups, but my shell
    >programming is a little rusty...)

    grep -n will even tell you the line numbers:

    # grep -n rc.cups /etc/rc.d/*
    /etc/rc.d/rc.M:150:if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.cups ]; then
    /etc/rc.d/rc.M:158: /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

    (translation: if /etc/rc.d/rc.cups is executable, then rc.cups start)

    Many (most?) shell scripts in /etc/rc.d are enabled or disabled by
    setting them executable or not.

    -Beej

  8. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    Vwaju wrote:

    [snip]

    > Yes, thank you. So somewhere, there is a script that checks to see if
    > rc.cups is executable and if it is, runs it. Can you tell me what the
    > script is that runs rc.cups? (I tried to write a script with a for-
    > loop to grep all the files in rc.d for rc.cups, but my shell
    > programming is a little rusty...)

    Here's a script that I use:

    vvv
    #!/bin/sh

    # forall
    # Copyright (C) 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Joseph Rosevear

    # This file is part of an application of SAM for GNU/Linux Slackware
    # known as SAM-GLS.

    # SAM-GLS is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    # under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
    # Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
    # your option) any later version.

    # SAM-GLS is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    # WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    # MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
    # General Public License for more details.

    # along with this program. If not, see .

    # (Slackware is a registered trademark of Patrick Volkerding and
    # Slackware Linux, Inc.)

    if [ 1 = `expr 2 \> $#` ]
    then
    echo Usage: $0 dir cmd [optargs]
    exit 1
    fi
    dir="$1"
    shift
    find "$dir" -type f -printf "\"%p\" " | xargs "$@"
    ^^^

    Then to use it...

    Make it available in your PATH. The traditional way to do that is to
    put the script in /usr/local/bin.

    Make sure it has useful permissions (do "chmod 755 forall").

    Then run it like this:

    forall /etc/rc.d grep cups

    Or

    cd /etc/rc.d
    forall . grep cups

    The forall script used this way will search all subdirectories too.
    This can be very useful when you are looking thru files for something,
    and you don't know where it is.

    Combine it with less and you have an even more useful search tool:

    forall grep | less

    By the way, forall is a part of a SourceForge project which you can
    visit at:

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/sam-kernel.

    -Joe

  9. Re: starting cupsd at boot

    Joseph Rosevear wrote:
    > Vwaju wrote:

    > [snip]

    > > Yes, thank you. So somewhere, there is a script that checks to see if
    > > rc.cups is executable and if it is, runs it. Can you tell me what the
    > > script is that runs rc.cups? (I tried to write a script with a for-
    > > loop to grep all the files in rc.d for rc.cups, but my shell
    > > programming is a little rusty...)

    > Here's a script that I use:

    Uh, oh. I made the grand point, but missed the obvious. You can get
    sub directories this way:

    grep -r

    I've been in the habit of using "forall".

    The script forall has other uses too, but that is OT.

    -Joe

+ Reply to Thread