KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling - Slackware

This is a discussion on KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling - Slackware ; Hi. I dipped a toe for the first time into 'slackare current' and installed the latest Xorg server packages from the Slackware site on my Slackware 12 system. I did this to try and get RandR to work ... you ...

  1. KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling

    Hi. I dipped a toe for the first time into 'slackare current' and installed
    the latest Xorg server packages from the Slackware site on my Slackware 12
    system. I did this to try and get RandR to work ... you might see me here
    tomorrow asking about that! :-)

    Running KDE with xorg-server-1.4.0.90-i486-1 I find that KDE is pumping
    out a number of error messages like this to my .xsession-errors:

    X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
    Major opcode: 158
    Minor opcode: 6
    Resource id: 0x13b
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    Major opcode: 20
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x1c00005
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    Major opcode: 20
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x1c00005

    .... and so forth. For example, every time I create a terminal window and
    then exit it I get at least one of these messages. But KDE itself seems to
    be working okay.

    I'm honestly not sure if I was logging these errors before I upgraded to
    the new
    version of the xorg-server package. I ended up installing every Xorg server
    and libX* package (and some of the XFree86 ones) from slackware-current
    in the hopes that this was some sort of library incompatability, but the
    problem remains.

    (I *think* it may have happened even with my 'pure' Slackware 12; because
    I see it logged when I run KDE under VNC, and the Xvnc X11 server wasn't
    changed when I upgraded Xorg)

    If I do a search on the web I see this sort of error popping up all over the
    place (although there's not many solutions). If it's a generic sort of X11
    problem I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me where I should look,
    if not details on this exact problem with KDE.

    I'm curious as to whether:

    - folks here with a 'pure' Slackware 12 installation have this problem?

    - people who have brought their system totally up-to-date with
    'slackware-current' - downloading and upgrading every package - have
    this problem?

    Or if anyone can tell me what the actual problem is caused by, of course!

    While I'm here ... even with the pristine Slackware 12 I noticed a lot of
    messages being syslogged to /var/log/messages:

    sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

    at a rate of about once a second. I only get this problem with KDE; when
    I'm running fvwm2 as my window manager it's not logged at all. If I put
    a DVD disc in the drive KDE shuts up :-). After it launches a popup window
    asking me what I want to do with the disc.

    When I go into Control Panel / Peripherals / Storage Media and
    enter the 'Advanced' tab there are three tick boxes:

    [X] Enable HAL backend
    [X] Enable CD polling
    [ ] Enable medium application autostart after mount

    but the first two are disabled - greyed out - so I can't untick those
    boxes.

    HAL is running normally on the system anyway; and as I mentioned before
    the syslog messages aren't produced unless I'm running KDE.

    Can anyone help with either of these KDE problems?

    Thanks,

    Brad

  2. Re: KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling

    Brad wrote:

    > Running KDE with xorg-server-1.4.0.90-i486-1 I find that KDE is pumping
    > out a number of error messages like this to my .xsession-errors:
    >
    > X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
    > Major opcode: 158
    > Minor opcode: 6
    > Resource id: 0x13b
    > X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    > Major opcode: 20
    > Minor opcode: 0
    > Resource id: 0x1c00005
    > X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    > Major opcode: 20
    > Minor opcode: 0
    > Resource id: 0x1c00005

    This is pretty standard for KDE, at least on Slackware. On my Slackware-12
    installation, as well as previous versions, these messages are logged to
    the console. I have always attributed it to overzealous error-reporting on
    the part of KDE, and I've never noticed any related problem actually
    manifesting.

    > While I'm here ... even with the pristine Slackware 12 I noticed a lot of
    > messages being syslogged to /var/log/messages:
    >
    > sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

    I don't recognize this error; it may be new in -current.

    > When I go into Control Panel / Peripherals / Storage Media and
    > enter the 'Advanced' tab there are three tick boxes:
    >
    > [X] Enable HAL backend
    > [X] Enable CD polling
    > [ ] Enable medium application autostart after mount

    This much is similar on Slackware-12.

    Jeffrey

  3. Re: KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling

    Brad wrote:

    > Running KDE with xorg-server-1.4.0.90-i486-1 I find that KDE is pumping
    > out a number of error messages like this to my .xsession-errors:
    >
    > X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
    > Major opcode: 158
    > Minor opcode: 6
    > Resource id: 0x13b
    > X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    > Major opcode: 20
    > Minor opcode: 0
    > Resource id: 0x1c00005
    > X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    > Major opcode: 20
    > Minor opcode: 0
    > Resource id: 0x1c00005
    >
    > ... and so forth. For example, every time I create a terminal window and
    > then exit it I get at least one of these messages. But KDE itself seems
    > to be working okay.
    >

    > (I *think* it may have happened even with my 'pure' Slackware 12; because
    > I see it logged when I run KDE under VNC, and the Xvnc X11 server wasn't
    > changed when I upgraded Xorg)
    >
    > I'm curious as to whether:
    >
    > - folks here with a 'pure' Slackware 12 installation have this problem?
    >
    > - people who have brought their system totally up-to-date with
    > 'slackware-current' - downloading and upgrading every package - have
    > this problem?

    I am up to day with -current, and yes, I get the same errors. They appear
    to be harmless noise, as everything works fine. The errors are generated
    only when running KDE and it's window manager, and they are logged when the
    window is closed. They are not generated under XFCE.

    --
    Old Man

    Playing with the ODE will make you go blind.

  4. Re: KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling

    Jeffrey Froman wrote:

    > Brad wrote:
    >
    >> Running KDE with xorg-server-1.4.0.90-i486-1 I find that KDE is pumping
    >> out a number of error messages like this to my .xsession-errors:
    >>
    >> X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
    >> Major opcode: 158
    >> Minor opcode: 6
    >> Resource id: 0x13b
    >> X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    >> Major opcode: 20
    >> Minor opcode: 0
    >> Resource id: 0x1c00005

    > This is pretty standard for KDE, at least on Slackware. On my Slackware-12
    > installation, as well as previous versions, these messages are logged to
    > the console. I have always attributed it to overzealous error-reporting on
    > the part of KDE, and I've never noticed any related problem actually
    > manifesting.

    Well, that's interesting. I don't think the errors are completely
    inoccuous;
    for example, I got errors almost the same with xscreensaver, and in that
    case
    it was actually failing to function correctly.

    Still, your information is what I wanted - to know if I'd stuffed things
    up or
    if this was 'typical' behaviour on an untouched Slackware 12 installation.
    Thanks for the advice.

    >> When I go into Control Panel / Peripherals / Storage Media and
    >> enter the 'Advanced' tab there are three tick boxes:
    >>
    >> [X] Enable HAL backend
    >> [X] Enable CD polling
    >> [ ] Enable medium application autostart after mount

    > This much is similar on Slackware-12.

    Thanks again. I understand why HAL would be grayed out; it's running as
    separate daemons as part of the OS. Not sure what 'cd polling' is
    though.

    Thanks Jeffrey,

    Brad

  5. Re: KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:34:59 +1000, Brad wrote:

    > Not sure what 'cd polling' is
    >though.

    Polls the CD and DVD drives to detect when a new disk is inserted.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  6. Re: KDE errors with 'slackware current' Xorg server + CD-ROM polling

    The OP should consult our local expert in KDE "Tom N" for advice
    relating to KDE errors

+ Reply to Thread