External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel - Slackware

This is a discussion on External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel - Slackware ; Greetings, I'm not a newbie, but it's been some time since I worked regularly with a Linux system. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, so please bare with. I installed Slackware 12 onto my Western Digital ...

  1. External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel

    Greetings,

    I'm not a newbie, but it's been some time since I worked regularly
    with a Linux system. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things,
    so please bare with.

    I installed Slackware 12 onto my Western Digital 160GB drive, which I
    normally attach to my dell (xp) inspiron 9300 laptop. The installation
    process was like butter. No problems. I installed the mbr onto the
    external drive. Two linux partitions: 1GB swap (sdb1) and the root
    (sdb2) ext2.

    I've seen the following problem on other posts, but haven't found a
    solution.

    I set my bios to boot, first, from a usb device and this works. I boot
    and get the lilo screen. I hit enter at the boot prompt and it goes
    through the process and shortly thereafter I get the following error
    message:

    "VFS: Cannot open root device '812' or unknown-block(8, 18)
    Please append a correct 'root=' boot option
    kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    block(8, 18)"

    The process freezes at this point.

    Here is my relevant lilo.conf for Slackware:
    boot = /dev/sdb

    #
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sdb2
    label = /dev/sdb2
    read-only
    #

    I'm able to go into this Slackware installation using Wolvix and it
    works fine. It just won't boot correctly. Any suggestions?

    Many thanks...

  2. Re: External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, KAdwhammy wrote:

    > I set my bios to boot, first, from a usb device and this works. I boot
    > and get the lilo screen. I hit enter at the boot prompt and it goes
    > through the process and shortly thereafter I get the following error
    > message:

    How abouts showing us what you see first. before this

    > "VFS: Cannot open root device '812' or unknown-block(8, 18)
    > Please append a correct 'root=' boot option
    > kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    > block(8, 18)"

    This seems to me like it doesnt know about/cant handle your FS

    Can you boot with setup CD/DVD so you have a semi usable system,
    1/ mkdir /tmpf
    2/ cd tmpf
    3/ chroot tmpf
    - then, is the system usable?
    if yes type 'lilo' (any errors?)
    if not exit, reboot and see what happens

    > Here is my relevant lilo.conf for Slackware:
    > boot = /dev/sdb
    >
    > #
    > image = /boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/sdb2
    > label = /dev/sdb2
    > read-only

    Looks fine to me

    #

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  3. Re: External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel

    On Feb 28, 4:45 pm, Res wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, KAdwhammy wrote:
    > > I set my bios to boot, first, from a usb device and this works. I boot
    > > and get the lilo screen. I hit enter at the boot prompt and it goes
    > > through the process and shortly thereafter I get the following error
    > > message:

    > How abouts showing us what you see first. before this
    >

    > > "VFS: Cannot open root device '812' or unknown-block(8, 18)
    > > Please append a correct 'root=' boot option
    > > kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    > > block(8, 18)"

    > This seems to me like it doesnt know about/cant handle your FS
    >
    > Can you boot with setup CD/DVD so you have a semi usable system,
    > 1/ mkdir /tmpf
    > 2/ cd tmpf
    > 3/ chroot tmpf
    > - then, is the system usable?
    > if yes type 'lilo' (any errors?)
    > if not exit, reboot and see what happens
    >
    > > Here is my relevant lilo.conf for Slackware:
    > > boot = /dev/sdb

    > > #
    > > image = /boot/vmlinuz
    > > root = /dev/sdb2
    > > label = /dev/sdb2
    > > read-only

    > Looks fine to me
    >
    > #
    >

    > > I'm able to go into this Slackware installation using Wolvix and it
    > > works fine. It just won't boot correctly. Any suggestions?

    > > Many thanks...

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Res
    >
    > mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';

    I think it goes through a fairly normal boot process up until the
    panic. It freezes, so it's hard for me to record said process. These
    are the 10 lines preceding those shown relating to the panic:

    device-mapper: ioctl: 4.11.0-ioctl (2006-10-12) initialised: dm-
    develo@redhat.com
    tcp cubic registered
    Initializing XFRM netlink socket
    NET: Registered protocol family 1
    NET: Registered protocol family 17
    Using IPI Shortcut mode
    input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input2
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun...
    md: ... autorun DONE.

    Yes, I can access the system, if I boot with Wolvix and then use
    chroot. I can launch kde, view pages on the internet, etc.

    I did try $ lilo and I got the following:

    Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist, disk scan bypassed
    Warning: /dev/sdb is not on the first disk
    Added /dev/sdb2 *
    Added WinXP
    3 warnings were issued

    Hope this helps. Thanks.

  4. Re: External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel

    KAdwhammy :
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm not a newbie, but it's been some time since I worked regularly
    > with a Linux system. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things,
    > so please bare with.
    >
    > I installed Slackware 12 onto my Western Digital 160GB drive, which I
    > normally attach to my dell (xp) inspiron 9300 laptop. The installation
    > process was like butter. No problems. I installed the mbr onto the
    > external drive. Two linux partitions: 1GB swap (sdb1) and the root
    > (sdb2) ext2.
    >
    > I've seen the following problem on other posts, but haven't found a
    > solution.
    >
    > I set my bios to boot, first, from a usb device and this works. I boot
    > and get the lilo screen. I hit enter at the boot prompt and it goes
    > through the process and shortly thereafter I get the following error
    > message:
    >
    > "VFS: Cannot open root device '812' or unknown-block(8, 18)
    > Please append a correct 'root=' boot option
    > kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    > block(8, 18)"
    >
    > The process freezes at this point.

    I'm betting that the usb driver is a module, and not yet loaded into the
    kernel at this point since it's sitting on the root filesystem and all.
    Recompile the kernel with your USB driver compiled into the kernel
    instead of a module, and badabing, life is copacetic.

    Either that or I'm talkin out of my hindquarters.

    --
    LIFE ISN'T FAIR

    www.websterscafe.com

  5. Re: External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel

    Hallo, KAdwhammy,

    Du meintest am 28.02.08:

    > I installed Slackware 12 onto my Western Digital 160GB drive, which I
    > normally attach to my dell (xp) inspiron 9300 laptop. The
    > installation process was like butter. No problems. I installed the
    > mbr onto the external drive. Two linux partitions: 1GB swap (sdb1)
    > and the root (sdb2) ext2.

    [...]

    > I set my bios to boot, first, from a usb device and this works. I
    > boot and get the lilo screen. I hit enter at the boot prompt and it
    > goes through the process and shortly thereafter I get the following
    > error message:

    > "VFS: Cannot open root device '812' or unknown-block(8, 18)
    > Please append a correct 'root=' boot option
    > kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    > block(8, 18)"

    The system searches sdb2 (as you have told it). But when it boots via
    USB it may see the drive as sda. Can you change the entry in "/etc/
    lilo.conf" (and "/etc/fstab") to sda2?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  6. Re: External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel

    KAdwhammy wrote:

    > These
    > are the 10 lines preceding those shown relating to the panic:
    >
    > device-mapper: ioctl: 4.11.0-ioctl (2006-10-12) initialised: dm-
    > develo@redhat.com
    > tcp cubic registered
    > Initializing XFRM netlink socket
    > NET: Registered protocol family 1
    > NET: Registered protocol family 17
    > Using IPI Shortcut mode
    > input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input2
    > md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    > md: autorun...
    > md: ... autorun DONE.

    the interesting question is: are there any lines relating to USB? Watch out
    for lines beginning with ehci_hcd, uhci_hcd and hub.

    Also important:

    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
    USB Mass Storage support registered.

    And subsequent detection of disks (lines beginning with sda or sdb).

  7. Re: External drive, installed Slackware & the panicked kernel

    On Feb 28, 7:07 pm, KAdwhammy wrote:

    > "VFS: Cannot open root device '812' or unknown-block(8, 18)
    > Please append a correct 'root=' boot option
    > kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    > block(8, 18)"
    >
    > The process freezes at this point.

    Try booting with rootdelay=10 at the lilo prompt.

+ Reply to Thread