How to Read a Microsoft XML File - Slackware

This is a discussion on How to Read a Microsoft XML File - Slackware ; Somebody sent me what looks an awful (literally and figuratively) lot like a Microsoft XML set of files and I haven't got a clue how to read the thing. Unzipping the file that was sent I wind up with...

  1. How to Read a Microsoft XML File

    Somebody sent me what looks an awful (literally and figuratively) lot
    like a Microsoft XML set of files and I haven't got a clue how to read
    the thing. Unzipping the file that was sent I wind up with

  2. Re: How to Read a Microsoft XML File

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:44:45 -0500, Thomas Ronayne wrote:

    > Somebody sent me what looks an awful (literally and figuratively) lot
    > like a Microsoft XML set of files and I haven't got a clue how to read
    > the thing. Unzipping the file that was sent I wind up with
    >
    > .
    > [Content_Types].xml
    > _rels
    > / .rels
    > docProps
    > / app.xml
    > / core.xml
    > word
    > / _rels
    > / / document.xml.rels
    > / document.xml
    > / fontTable.xml
    > / settings.xml
    > / styles.xml
    > / theme
    > / / theme1.xml
    > / webSettings.xml
    >
    > Anybody know what to do with one of these; I've got OpenOffice 2.3.1 and
    > I might have something else (I dunno what) that might be able to open it
    > and read it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    if it is a .docx file, try:
    http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/

    --
    i.

  3. Re: How to Read a Microsoft XML File

    Ivan Rajkovic wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:44:45 -0500, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    >

    > if it is a .docx file, try:
    > http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/

    Yep, that's what I got; I'm looking at the web site now, thank you for
    your help.

  4. Re: How to Read a Microsoft XML File

    On Feb 27, 8:44 pm, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    > Somebody sent me what looks an awful (literally and figuratively) lot
    > like a Microsoft XML set of files and I haven't got a clue how to read
    > the thing. Unzipping the file that was sent I wind up with
    >
    > .
    > [Content_Types].xml
    > _rels
    > / .rels
    > docProps
    > / app.xml
    > / core.xml
    > word
    > / _rels
    > / / document.xml.rels
    > / document.xml
    > / fontTable.xml
    > / settings.xml
    > / styles.xml
    > / theme
    > / / theme1.xml
    > / webSettings.xml
    >
    > Anybody know what to do with one of these; I've got OpenOffice 2.3.1 and
    > I might have something else (I dunno what) that might be able to open it
    > and read it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    i wouldn't touch that with a barge pole... looks dangerous!

    why don't you ask for the file in another format?

  5. Re: How to Read a Microsoft XML File

    Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    > Ivan Rajkovic wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:44:45 -0500, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    >>

    >> if it is a .docx file, try:
    >> http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/
    >>

    > Yep, that's what I got; I'm looking at the web site now, thank you for
    > your help.

    Oh! Ouch! Microsoft only, no gots, no wants, alas.

    Oh, well...

    Thanks again.

  6. Re: How to Read a Microsoft XML File

    On 2008-02-27, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    > Somebody sent me what looks an awful (literally and figuratively) lot
    > like a Microsoft XML set of files and I haven't got a clue how to read
    > the thing. Unzipping the file that was sent I wind up with
    >
    > .
    > [Content_Types].xml
    > _rels
    > / .rels
    > docProps
    > / app.xml
    > / core.xml
    > word
    > / _rels
    > / / document.xml.rels
    > / document.xml
    > / fontTable.xml
    > / settings.xml
    > / styles.xml
    > / theme
    > / / theme1.xml
    > / webSettings.xml
    >
    > Anybody know what to do with one of these; I've got OpenOffice 2.3.1 and
    > I might have something else (I dunno what) that might be able to open it
    > and read it.

    What I would likely do is

    rm filename
    echo 'I cannot read this POS Microsoft crap file' | mail -s 'Send me a PDF' sender@wherever.invalid

    You can modify the message body based on who the sender is, of course. ;-)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: How to Read a Microsoft XML File

    Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    > Somebody sent me what looks an awful (literally and figuratively) lot
    > like a Microsoft XML set of files and I haven't got a clue how to read
    > the thing. Unzipping the file that was sent I wind up with
    >
    > .
    > [Content_Types].xml
    > _rels
    > / .rels
    > docProps
    > / app.xml
    > / core.xml
    > word
    > / _rels
    > / / document.xml.rels
    > / document.xml
    > / fontTable.xml
    > / settings.xml
    > / styles.xml
    > / theme
    > / / theme1.xml
    > / webSettings.xml
    >
    > Anybody know what to do with one of these; I've got OpenOffice 2.3.1
    > and I might have something else (I dunno what) that might be able to
    > open it and read it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Google is my pal.

    OpenOffice.orgNinja
    (http://www.oooninja.com/2008/01/conv...nux-using.html)
    has a Microjunk OpenXML-to-ODF converter; got it, installed it, tested
    it, works like a charm.

    All is well that ends.

+ Reply to Thread