Record fundtions don't work on SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card - Slackware

This is a discussion on Record fundtions don't work on SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card - Slackware ; Hello group, None of the record functions work on my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card. The play function work well. I can raise the volume on the line, mic and CD lines, but there are no switches to set a record ...

  1. Record fundtions don't work on SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card

    Hello group,

    None of the record functions work on my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card. The
    play function work well.

    I can raise the volume on the line, mic and CD lines, but there are no
    switches to set a record source and no sources records. It seems that
    data is being written to /dev/dsp as I get a wav file if I do "rec
    test.wav." But "play test.wav" yields silence.

    Lspci says that the Creative controler is
    04:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04). I
    understand there are a number of drivers for the Audigy, and I might be
    using the wrong one.

    There is also an on-board ich6 sound system, but this is turned off at the
    BIOS level. I tried turning this on and using the integrated sound system.
    It works but is only a single channel device and is lacking in the
    bass.

    I am running Slackware 12.0 with the 2.6.21 kernel. The machine is a Dell
    Dimensions 8400.

    This has been a chronic problem with Slackware but I've been able to work
    around it by using the OSS emu10.1 driver. But this driver is gone in the
    2.6.21 source so I've got to solve this problem or downgrade the kernel to
    a version that has the OSS driver, which has always been satisfactory.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Record fundtions don't work on SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:45:43 -0800, Mike Keithley wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > None of the record functions work on my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card. The
    > play function work well.
    >
    > I can raise the volume on the line, mic and CD lines, but there are no
    > switches to set a record source and no sources records. It seems that
    > data is being written to /dev/dsp as I get a wav file if I do "rec
    > test.wav." But "play test.wav" yields silence.

    http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...8?dmode=source

    Maybe that should help you, basically the problem with the SB Live is
    that some of the recording controls are in the playback section. Maybe
    the problem is similar with the Audigy 2.

    Richard James
    --
    If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and

  3. Re: Record fundtions don't work on SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Richard James wrote:

    -On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:45:43 -0800, Mike Keithley wrote:
    -
    -> Hello group,
    ->
    -http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/msg/cccd4fad0687b3e8?dmode=source
    -
    -Maybe that should help you, basically the problem with the SB Live is
    -that some of the recording controls are in the playback section. Maybe
    -the problem is similar with the Audigy 2.
    -
    -Richard James
    -
    I examined your message and put all the line and mic sliders up. Still
    silence. The aspect that seems strange is that the only switch relating
    to recording is the capture playback switch, wich, I think, means whether
    we hear the source being recorded. There is no control that indicated
    which source is to be recorded. Maybe this means that all sources can
    record at once!

    Mike Keithley

+ Reply to Thread