xorg - Slackware

This is a discussion on xorg - Slackware ; Hey guys i'm the guy from the inspiron 1420 but now I have a problem with the graphics. Im using the intel gma 3100 but I dont know what to install I googled it up and im confused, do I ...

  1. xorg

    Hey guys i'm the guy from the inspiron 1420
    but now I have a problem with the graphics. Im using the
    intel gma 3100 but I dont know what to install I googled it up
    and im confused, do I need to install the xorg-server, or is there
    other stuff I need to install.

    What to do or where to find it.

    Thanks again.

  2. Re: xorg

    On Feb 26, 6:12 pm, Abijr wrote:
    > Hey guys i'm the guy from the inspiron 1420
    > but now I have a problem with the graphics. Im using the
    > intel gma 3100 but I dont know what to install I googled it up
    > and im confused, do I need to install the xorg-server, or is there
    > other stuff I need to install.
    >
    > What to do or where to find it.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    The XOrg package is for your GUI. As part of the XOrg setup, there's
    also the graphics driver that you select to actually talk to the card.

    According to Wikipedia, the gma3100 is supported in XOrg 7.3 (not
    sure about the 3D acceleration, though). Based on the entry, the
    gma3100 is the newer Intel chip for mobile computing (G31/33 and
    Q33/35 chipset family. Quote: "The GMA X3100 is the mobile version of
    the GMA X3000 used in the Intel GL960 and GM965 chipsets.") .

    To answer your questions directly:
    - xorg-server is the package to get graphics started - it only
    provides the interface to the hardware for the GUI stuff.

    - xorg-server does NOT include the extras like the KDE/Gnome desktops
    (which give you the point-and-click goodies) or other software
    packages that are GUI-based interfaces (like OpenOffice.org, xchat,
    etc.) - so yes, you will need to install other packages to get some
    use out of the xorg-server.

  3. Re: xorg

    alisonken1 (alisonken1@gmail.com) writes:
    > On Feb 26, 6:12 pm, Abijr wrote:
    >> Hey guys i'm the guy from the inspiron 1420
    >> but now I have a problem with the graphics. Im using the
    >> intel gma 3100 but I dont know what to install I googled it up
    >> and im confused, do I need to install the xorg-server, or is there
    >> other stuff I need to install.
    >>
    >> What to do or where to find it.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.

    > The XOrg package is for your GUI. As part of the XOrg setup, there's
    > also the graphics driver that you select to actually talk to the card.
    >
    > According to Wikipedia, the gma3100 is supported in XOrg 7.3 (not
    > sure about the 3D acceleration, though). Based on the entry, the
    > gma3100 is the newer Intel chip for mobile computing (G31/33 and
    > Q33/35 chipset family. Quote: "The GMA X3100 is the mobile version of
    > the GMA X3000 used in the Intel GL960 and GM965 chipsets.") .
    >
    > To answer your questions directly:
    > - xorg-server is the package to get graphics started - it only
    > provides the interface to the hardware for the GUI stuff.
    >
    > - xorg-server does NOT include the extras like the KDE/Gnome desktops
    > (which give you the point-and-click goodies) or other software
    > packages that are GUI-based interfaces (like OpenOffice.org, xchat,
    > etc.) - so yes, you will need to install other packages to get some
    > use out of the xorg-server.

    And for the beginner, it makes a lot more sense to just make a full install
    and not have to worry about what's installed or not.

    I can't remember whether there is limited hard drive space in this case
    (and even then, it's all relative), but one is far more likely to use
    up disk space with open office or any of the big apps than a slew of
    xorg related things, even if they aren't used.

    I've been running Slackware since 2001, and just moved to 12. I decided to
    try a selective install (the first time since I first tried Linux in late
    2000 on a computer with a 240meg hard drive), and paring down didn't save
    that much space. But, I was careless about the driver sort of things
    connected with xorg, and had a real problem with the keyboard under a
    GUI. Couldn't get back to the consoles without stopping X and all. Turned
    out I needed one of those drivers, that didn't seem necessary going in.

    Now, I admit I've learned something from this beyond the futility of
    a selective install, but I sure didn't save any space from not including
    the needed driver, and even if I'd tossed them all on the hard drive,
    a picture or two saved from my camera would likely be larger than the
    accumulated space the drivers took up.

    Michael

  4. Re: xorg

    Ok, I've installed the full install and got kde and all the
    stuff for gui, but what im looking for are the drivers for my graphics
    card
    and I don't know if those are in xorg server or in modules of the
    kernel if you see what I mean,

    Thanks for helping...

  5. Re: xorg

    Abijr (profetandson@gmail.com) writes:
    > Ok, I've installed the full install and got kde and all the
    > stuff for gui, but what im looking for are the drivers for my graphics
    > card
    > and I don't know if those are in xorg server or in modules of the
    > kernel if you see what I mean,
    >
    > Thanks for helping...

    Just run xorgsetup. It is pretty capable and should give you something
    fairly useable. So long as it recognizes the hardware it will set
    xorg.conf properly.

    Since all video hardware has to provide the basic VGA capabilities,
    there should be something there that works.

    There may be some exceptions, and there are cases where a fancier driver
    will allow Linux to take advantage of fancier features in the video card.
    For instance, I have an older nvidia card, and I don't need anything
    special to run it. But, if I install the driver that nvidia supplies,
    I will be able to make use of the fancier things the video card provides,
    if I really needed such features. (And if nvidia didnt' supply the driver,
    there might not be any driver to take advantage of the extra features, since
    they dont' want to reveal the hardware details and it would require effort
    and interest for someone to figure out the hardware, meaning someone might
    not bother).

    Michael

  6. Re: xorg

    Abijr wrote:
    > Ok, I've installed the full install and got kde and all the stuff for
    > gui, but what im looking for are the drivers for my graphics card and I
    > don't know if those are in xorg server or in modules of the kernel if
    > you see what I mean,

    The graphics drivers for X.org are in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ and
    came from packages named xf86-video-*. However, for DRI (hardware 3D
    acceleration) you will also need a kernel module and those modules are
    part of the kernel-modules-* packages. It is possible to use X without DRI.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread