Diskless workstation preform slackware installation on exported nfsdirectory. - Slackware

This is a discussion on Diskless workstation preform slackware installation on exported nfsdirectory. - Slackware ; Heres the deal: From the server side i want to export the whole slackware filesystem which is independent to server slackware filesystem ill call it / nfsroot. From diskless side i want to boot via pxe and preform independent slackware ...

  1. Diskless workstation preform slackware installation on exported nfsdirectory.

    Heres the deal:

    From the server side i want to export the whole slackware filesystem
    which is independent to server slackware filesystem ill call it /
    nfsroot.

    From diskless side i want to boot via pxe and preform independent
    slackware installation to /nfsroot. How to do that?

    I was reading docs inside /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOS but neither of docs
    address it even partially. So i tried to do alone,

    First on serverside ive recompiled kernel with :

    - NFS filesystem support (CONFIG_NFS_FS).
    - Root file system on NFS (CONFIG_ROOT_NFS).
    - Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET).
    - The ethernet driver for the clent's network card.
    - IP: kernel level autoconfiguration (CONFIG_IP_PNP)
    - BOOTP support (CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP)

    on server side i have lvm partitions so i had to preform mkinitrd with
    -L

    from the server side i preformed mknod c 0 255 /dev/nfs and rdev
    BzImage /dev/nfs (bzImage is from newest compiled kernel with what ive
    mentioned above), from recently compiled kernel ive copied Bzimage,
    config and Sysmap(gziped) to /tftboot/slackware-current/kernels/
    hugesmp.s/
    then on tftp/slackware-current/pxelinux.cfg/default ive added :
    Code:

    label hugesmp.s
    kernel kernels/hugesmp.s/bzImage
    append root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp init=/sbin/init initrd=initrd.img
    load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw
    SLACK_KERNEL=hugesmp.s

    ive done few tests if i use original initrd.img from /usb-pxe-
    installers / then from booting diskless workstation with parameters on
    bootprompt : hugesmp.s root=/dev/nfs i get msg

    Code:

    Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
    VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
    VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

    My assumption is this happened because of some connection with
    initrd.img from usb-pxe-installers then ive copied mine initrd.img
    from recently compiled kernel with mentioned above then it stucked
    when it couldnt find lvm partitions... and this is where i stucked. Im
    wondering what i could do next and what have i done wrong?Am i on the
    right path?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Diskless workstation preform slackware installation on exportednfs directory.

    On Feb 25, 4:21 am, matta12 wrote:

    > My assumption is this happened because of some connection with
    > initrd.img from usb-pxe-installers then ive copied mine initrd.img
    > from recently compiled kernel with mentioned above then it stucked
    > when it couldnt find lvm partitions... and this is where i stucked. Im
    > wondering what i could do next and what have i done wrong?Am i on the
    > right path?
    >
    > Thanks!

    As a starting point, you can google "slackware diskless workstation".
    One of the links I found was http://pitchforksolutions.com/project/procedures.html.

    He used a Slackware 7.0 install for the server, but it should give you
    the basics of what it takes to create a diskless workstation using the
    resources of the server over NFS.

    The other option is to look at the Linux Terminal Server Project
    (http://www.ltsp.org) and see how they do a Red Hat edition.

+ Reply to Thread