so strange a login screen - Slackware

This is a discussion on so strange a login screen - Slackware ; for the first time I just let everything install...all goes as per usual...slick...then adduser...then alsaconf...then into xorg...then dl and install nvidia driver...then inittab...then KDE login manager to tweak lilo...and voila...I've got Dutch or Afrikaaner on my login screen...I'm not Dutch, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: so strange a login screen

  1. so strange a login screen

    for the first time I just let everything install...all goes as per
    usual...slick...then adduser...then alsaconf...then into xorg...then dl
    and install nvidia driver...then inittab...then KDE login manager to tweak
    lilo...and voila...I've got Dutch or Afrikaaner on my login screen...I'm
    not Dutch, nor Afrikaaner...wtf! :-)

  2. Re: so strange a login screen

    http://www.freedict.com/onldict/dut.html

    mr.b wrote:

    ..I've got Dutch or Afrikaaner on my login screen...I'm
    > not Dutch, nor Afrikaaner...wtf! :-)



  3. Re: so strange a login screen

    mr.b wrote:

    > .I've got Dutch or Afrikaaner on my login screen...I'm
    > not Dutch, nor Afrikaaner...wtf! :-)


    Go to your KDE menu , (spanner as an icon), then to Wizard>, (three progressively larger screens as an Icon), and then set
    your region and language, (flags as icons).
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  4. Re: so strange a login screen

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:09:18 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Go to your KDE menu , (spanner as an icon), then to > Wizard>, (three progressively larger screens as an Icon), and then set
    > your region and language, (flags as icons).


    done that...several times...set to Canada w/ British English, still
    looking at Dutch/Afrikaans...too weird


  5. Re: so strange a login screen

    mr.b wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:09:18 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:
    >
    >> Go to your KDE menu , (spanner as an icon), then to >> Wizard>, (three progressively larger screens as an Icon), and then set
    >> your region and language, (flags as icons).

    >
    > done that...several times...set to Canada w/ British English, still
    > looking at Dutch/Afrikaans...too weird


    Language for kdm can be set separately. Open kcontrol, expand System
    Administration, then Login Manager. Locale/language for kdm can be set on
    this page. You may have to click Administrator Mode.

    --
    Old Man

    Playing with the ODE will make you go blind.

  6. Re: so strange a login screen

    mr.b wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:09:18 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:
    >
    >> Go to your KDE menu , (spanner as an icon), then to
    >> , (three progressively larger screens as an Icon),
    >> and then set your region and language, (flags as icons).

    >
    > done that...several times...set to Canada w/ British English, still
    > looking at Dutch/Afrikaans...too weird


    What languages did you specify when you installed languages
    from /slackware/kdei? If you haven't got the one you need you can
    install it using pkgtool, check in /var/log/packages.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  7. Re: so strange a login screen

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:27:09 -0500, Old Man wrote:

    > Language for kdm can be set separately. Open kcontrol, expand System
    > Administration, then Login Manager. Locale/language for kdm can be set on
    > this page. You may have to click Administrator Mode.


    right there in front of my freakin face...what is that called when you
    look but don't see?
    cheers

  8. Re: so strange a login screen

    On 2008-02-24, mr.b wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:27:09 -0500, Old Man wrote:
    >
    >> Language for kdm can be set separately. Open kcontrol, expand System
    >> Administration, then Login Manager. Locale/language for kdm can be set on
    >> this page. You may have to click Administrator Mode.

    >
    > right there in front of my freakin face...what is that called when you
    > look but don't see?
    > cheers


    Can't see the forest from the trees??
    As plain as the nose on your face??
    Tunnel vision??

    ken

  9. Re: so strange a login screen

    No_One wrote:
    > On 2008-02-24, mr.b wrote:
    >> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:27:09 -0500, Old Man wrote:
    >>
    >>> Language for kdm can be set separately. Open kcontrol, expand System
    >>> Administration, then Login Manager. Locale/language for kdm can be set on
    >>> this page. You may have to click Administrator Mode.

    >> right there in front of my freakin face...what is that called when you
    >> look but don't see?
    >> cheers

    >
    > Can't see the forest from the trees??
    > As plain as the nose on your face??
    > Tunnel vision??


    Here is an other one in dutch (mr.b should have been able to learn
    _some_ dutch in the 5+ hours between his first and last posting on this
    subject :-) : Een blinde vlek

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  10. Re: so strange a login screen

    Old Man wrote:

    > Language for kdm can be set separately. *Open kcontrol, expand System
    > Administration, then Login Manager. *Locale/language for kdm can be
    > set on this page. *You may have to click Administrator Mode.


    Thank you for the clarification, I had misread the original question as
    implying that the OP had a new *installation* in Dutch or Afrikaans,
    and thus could not read the menus in order to alter the language
    settings.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  11. Re: so strange a login screen

    mr.b wrote:
    > right there in front of my freakin face...what is that called when you
    > look but don't see?


    as my mother would say: if it had been a dog, it'd have bitten you in the
    face.


    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    EN:SiS(9)

+ Reply to Thread