KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy] - Slackware

This is a discussion on KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy] - Slackware ; For those of you who like eye candy this blog has been posted which shows what the revision 777000 of KDE 4.1 looks like http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-vi...og-rev-777000/ That blog is a translation to English from a Polish blog post. If you visit ...

  1. KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    For those of you who like eye candy this blog has been posted which shows
    what the revision 777000 of KDE 4.1 looks like
    http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-vi...og-rev-777000/

    That blog is a translation to English from a Polish blog post. If you
    visit the Polish blog you can see a few more screenshots of KDE 4
    http://jarzebski.pl

    Richard James
    --
    If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and

  2. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:34:02 +0000, Richard James wrote:

    > For those of you who like eye candy this blog has been posted which
    > shows what the revision 777000 of KDE 4.1 looks like
    > http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-vi...og-rev-777000/

    Thanks Richard,

    I had a look and it gave me the same impression I had years ago
    when I saw the first presentations of the upcoming Longhorm+Luna,
    the first day I thought that was a fake for April fool's day or
    whatever and next day, after some people confirmed that was the
    real stuff, I just had a vertigo crisis while trying to understand
    what exactly they had in mind (er, mind?...), I supposed they were
    aiming the market of musical games for under five.

    Now I'll suppose that the eye-candy is just eye-candy and the
    functions behind will be sharp and useful, unlike most the Longhorn
    sequels ;-)

  3. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    :-)

    On 2008-02-24, Richard James wrote:
    > For those of you who like eye candy this blog has been posted which shows
    > what the revision 777000 of KDE 4.1 looks like
    > http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-vi...og-rev-777000/
    >
    > That blog is a translation to English from a Polish blog post. If you
    > visit the Polish blog you can see a few more screenshots of KDE 4
    > http://jarzebski.pl
    >
    > Richard James

    Your sig:

    "If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and
    you'll quick as a flash be back in your cosy command line where you
    belong."

    Can't figure out whether you are trying to mislead people or are just
    ignorant.

    I normally use a GUI. X and a window manager. When I startx 9 windows open with
    various applications, from bash to system info to a datebook to an
    email client, etc.

    I use a mouse to cut&paste all the time.

    I can run any X application you can. Including any of the "K" applications.
    You don't need to run KDE to use them.

    And I run Linux from the command line.

    Calling a large collection of apps like KDE a "GUI" is simply not accurate.

    KDE/Gnome and such, are BUILT on a GUI. It forms their foundation. But
    GUIs existed long before any of those monstrosities did, and exist
    quite independently of them today.

    Some of the advantages of what I call ODE, the Other Desktop Environment,
    are that I save massive amounts of system resources for better purposes,
    Have a much simpler and more stable and secure system, and I can run
    almost any Linux/Unix box in existence whether it has X or not or KDE
    (etc.) or not.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | Artificial Intelligence:
    gmail [DOT] com | When the real thing just won't do.

  4. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > Some of the advantages of what I call ODE, the Other Desktop Environment,
    > are that I save massive amounts of system resources for better purposes,

    like posting endless, stupid drivel on usenet.

    > Have a much simpler and more stable and secure system,

    because, as we all know, logging in exclusively as root is an excellent
    security practice.

    > and I can run
    > almost any Linux/Unix box in existence whether it has X or not or KDE
    > (etc.) or not.

    No, you cannot. What you can do is login as root, play with bash (badly),
    and screw things up. You have demonstrated this repeatedly by posting a
    series of poorly thought-out, lame ideas that you like to call ODE. ODE is
    not a system. It's just you self-stimulating. You really should not do
    that in public.

    --
    Old Man

    Playing with the ODE will make you go blind.

  5. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > Some of the advantages of what I call ODE, the Other Desktop
    > Environment, are that I save massive amounts of system resources for
    > better purposes...

    a) Please quantify the amount of resources you save.

    b) what are the better purposes upon which you expend these 'saved'
    resources?

    --
    Two Ravens
    Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of

  6. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:50:21 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    > Now I'll suppose that the eye-candy is just eye-candy and the
    > functions behind will be sharp and useful, unlike most the Longhorn
    > sequels ;-)

    Tried to answer this last night but I was having trouble getting all the
    facts and it got too late. Anyway it looks like I might have to eat my
    hat here.

    On the surface plasma just looks like a silly toy. SuperKaramba on
    steroids right? But if you look deeper into the issues behind some of the
    design changes made in KDE 4 you will see the ingenious bit of it.

    Why isn't KDE 4 just KDE 3.99 + 0.01? Why chuck out all the old code and
    write the new stuff? The reason for doing so was to rebuild the system on
    a better base. Here is a quote about why Kicker is replaced by plasma.

    "So why was kicker dropped and something new created instead of just
    improving kicker?
    The reason is that kicker was already broken years ago: the code was
    hardly readable, and new introduced features often introduced bugs and
    problems at other places. Also, kicker was as flexible as a mountain:
    several projects which aimed at adding a cool new feature to kicker in
    the end copied the code base and started to rework it on their own - they
    forked kicker. And that would not have been necessary when kicker would
    have a better design for such improvements. But kicker was created for
    KDE 2.0 (!), at a time when no one would have thought that some years
    later applets would be embedded in the panel as well as in the desktop.
    Or that there are indeed several ways to provide panel functions and not
    just the 90s like static attempt (think of MacOS like approaches, etc.).
    In contrast, KDE 4 will have a long life cycle, and therefore all code
    must be maintainable for a long time - and for other developers."
    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/1...ns-for-design-
    decisions/

    So as we can see, Kicker is old, it is hard to add new functionality to
    it. In fact the trio of the Desktop, Kicker and Kmenu are things that
    have just been slapped together. By rebuilding them on a single platform
    "plasma" it increases customisability and ensures that code is more
    maintainable. If you don't like the Kmenu in 3.5 what can you do? Write a
    new one? In KDE 4 you could probably download several different versions
    and plug them into the panel as you wished. The first few plasma widgets
    don't make much sense because they are just tools to show other
    developers how to do things. Later widgets will be more powerful. You
    will get things like a lot better system process monitors, because with
    plasma those things are easier to write and easier to modify. So if you
    have something you are monitoring like web site traffic (on another
    server) you can make a plasma widget that displays the stats, you can
    then stick that on your desktop or in a panel/bar.

    Also plasma has other uses, Amarok being a example of this. Developers
    are able to leverage some of the functionality of plasma into their own
    applications.

    "we've decided that for amarok 2.0 we want to emphasize what used to be
    called the "context browser" in amarok 1.x speak. we decided to break out
    the context browser into its own central widget... and have re-used
    libplasma to implement it. this allows us to use all the goodness from
    plasma with minimal effort (there is of course some tweaking required).
    as we do not depend on kdebase, we are currently svn:externing libplasma
    in our amarok tree and linking to it internally. I understand that
    post-4.0 (4.1 maybe?) libplasma will be broken out into its own separate
    library, and we will be able to depend on that.

    using plasma we get to use gorgeous svg-themed applets, the clean and
    flexible applet/data engine architecture, plus many smaller but no less
    important features."
    http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...ification.html

    Of course that is just plasma there are many other changes in KDE 4.
    Strigi, Phonon, Akondai, Decibel, Solid, Sonnet and WebKit.

    Richard James
    --
    If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and
    you'll quick as a flash be back in your cosy command line where you
    belong.

  7. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:13:56 +0000, Richard James wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:50:21 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:
    >
    >> Now I'll suppose that the eye-candy is just eye-candy and the
    >> functions behind will be sharp and useful, unlike most the Longhorn
    >> sequels ;-)

    > Tried to answer this last night but I was having trouble getting all the
    > facts and it got too late. Anyway it looks like I might have to eat my
    > hat here.

    Don't worry, that was an edible hat, mostly matze and colored sugar ;-)
    I was essentially joking about the look but was quite confident the
    system behind was way more than meet the eye, the KDE couldn't keep
    on much longer with the old b0rken base (as you detailed).
    Anyway, thank you for the extensive answer, it was much better than
    my jokes!

    > On the surface plasma just looks like a silly toy. SuperKaramba on
    > steroids right?

    Right, especially since Karamba never made the grade and sucked
    resources like a cousin from Vista that may have looked silly :-)

    > But if you look deeper into the issues behind some of
    > the design changes made in KDE 4 you will see the ingenious bit of it.
    >
    > Why isn't KDE 4 just KDE 3.99 + 0.01? Why chuck out all the old code and
    > write the new stuff? The reason for doing so was to rebuild the system
    > on a better base. Here is a quote about why Kicker is replaced by
    > plasma.
    >
    > "So why was kicker dropped and something new created instead of just
    > improving kicker?

    That is good news, really friggin good news!
    I'll stop my post here, I have no point to add here but I'm
    sure I'll give the KDE 4.1 an extended try-out and my daughters will
    certainly give a good crash-test at it as they are much more involved
    in "effectively working eye-candy with a function" while I'm a bit
    more inclined in my old days to prefer effectiveness ;-)

    Afterall I'm using parts and apps from KDE (kmail,quanta,amarok) which
    I like (though the tendency of these to change the looks and settings
    while not giving full settings control is somehow tiring), in case
    the stuff you described is 9/10 true I'd be really interested as it
    may well be the days we've at last got rid of the puny "desk top"
    metaphor and we'll be on the highway of relational functions databases!

  8. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    > b) what are the better purposes upon which you expend these 'saved'
    > resources?

    IRC, Konsole, kedit

  9. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    On 2008-02-24, Two Ravens wrote:
    > Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    >> Some of the advantages of what I call ODE, the Other Desktop
    >> Environment, are that I save massive amounts of system resources for
    >> better purposes...

    > a) Please quantify the amount of resources you save.

    ''Massive'' == ''greater than zero''

    > b) what are the better purposes upon which you expend these 'saved'
    > resources?

    Wasting time trolling alt.os.linux.slackware of course!

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  10. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Followup set to comp.os.linux.setup.

    On 2008-03-07, Richard James wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 02:54:41 -0800, Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    >>> Richard James

    >> Your sig:
    >>
    >> "If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    >> startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and
    >> you'll quick as a flash be back in your cosy command line where you
    >> belong."
    >>
    >> Can't figure out whether you are trying to mislead people or are just
    >> ignorant.

    > Actually my sig is designed to piss you off.

    I knew that. You know more about computers than I do.

    > Seems to be working just fine.

    Not at all. I was just happy to have another opportunity to educate
    the newbies in this area.

    It was much appreciated.

    > Note I have a new sig guess who that is meant to piss off?
    >
    > Richard James
    >
    >--
    > "Slackware" an African word meaning you don't have any people skills.

    Patrick Volkerding? Hundreds of millions of Africans?

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | The Truth will set you free:
    gmail [DOT] com | http://www.sethcenter.com

  11. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    then ****in post there only ****head

    On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Tom Newton wrote:

    > Followup set to comp.os.linux.setup.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  12. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > Not at all. I was just happy to have another opportunity to educate
    > the newbies in this area.

    How are you educating "the newbies in this area", when you don't even
    seem to be able to understand a question about 'menuconfig', (from your
    replies so far, on another newsgroup), all you have managed to do is
    prove that that you know nothing of the matter for which you are
    offering solutions, solutions which are totally useless as they are
    solutions to a problem the OP did not have!

    As others have pointed out, and as I will re-iterate, your advice is
    often wrong and in several cases runs counter to 'best' or even 'safe
    practice'.

    In this case you are missing Richard's references. (Which admittedly are
    subtle and allow for personal interpretation.)
    --
    Two Ravens
    "Tom Newton, surely the William Topaz McGonagall of
    alt.os.linux.slackware, and now, seemingly, comp.os.linux.setup and
    comp.os.linux.misc.as well!"

  13. Re: KDE 4.1 snapshot screenshots [eye kandy]

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:34:01 +0100, Tom Newton wrote:

    > Patrick Volkerding? Hundreds of millions of Africans?

    People that can't get along with Ubuntu people because they have really
    bad people skills.

    I changed my sig again. I'm sure you will get this one. I hope you
    realise I am not calling you stupid if you do think that I will just say
    WTF.

    Richard James

    --
    clueless adjective