weird graphic problem - Slackware

This is a discussion on weird graphic problem - Slackware ; Hi, I am a newbie at Slackware, and i have kinda major problem. I've installed slack 12.0 using virtual pc (i wanted to try things without a danger to damage my windoze install). It installed just fine, but when i ...

  1. weird graphic problem

    Hi,
    I am a newbie at Slackware, and i have kinda major problem. I've
    installed slack 12.0 using virtual pc (i wanted to try things without
    a danger to damage my windoze install). It installed just fine, but
    when i actually ran the machine, problems started to occur. LILO works
    fine, but when it starts loading actual linux system, it looks like
    this:

    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3349/wtfle2.jpg

    My GPU is ATI Radeon X1600m PRO, which, as i read in the net is
    problematic with Linux. I've googled around for lots of time, but i've
    found only numerous posts/questions about problems with X1600 and
    xorg. That problem that i;ve taken screenshot of occured with Slack
    install made without xorg. What may be the reason for something like
    that? Can this be VPC's fault? I've read over that is handles graphics
    (even 3d games) quite well.

  2. Re: weird graphic problem

    ok, I've figured it out. I had to use huge.s kernel instead of
    hugesmp.s and it seems to be working so far ;]

  3. Re: weird graphic problem

    poorchava@gmail.com wrote in news:badcc937-a333-469e-a79f-792aafb3a454
    @f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    > installed slack 12.0 using virtual pc (i wanted to try things without

    [snip]
    > http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3349/wtfle2.jpg
    >
    > My GPU is ATI Radeon X1600m PRO, which, as i read in the net is
    > problematic with Linux. I've googled around for lots of time, but i've

    [snip]
    > that? Can this be VPC's fault? I've read over that is handles graphics
    > (even 3d games) quite well.

    Microsoft Virtual PC 2007? It doesn't expose your actual graphics card
    to the virtual pc, nor your actual NIC. The hardware emulated by virtual
    pc 2007 is listed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC
    but, for completeness of this post, I'll copy the relevant bits:

    Emulated environment

    Virtual PC emulates a 32-bit Intel Pentium II processor (but virtualizes
    the host processor on Windows versions) with an Intel 440BX chipset, a
    standard SVGA VESA graphics card (S3 Trio 64 PCI with 4 MB Video RAM,
    adjustable in later versions up to 16 MB), a system BIOS from American
    Megatrends (AMI), a Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 ISA PnP (native Vista
    audio when Vista acts as host and guest), and a DEC 21041 (DEC 21140 in
    newer versions) Ethernet network card.

    Not all programs are guaranteed to work because they can use undocumented
    features of hardware, exotic timings, or unsupported opcodes, although
    overall compatibility can be considered satisfactory.

    * The Macintosh version of Virtual PC uses dynamic recompilation to
    translate the x86 code used by a standard PC into equivalent PowerPC code
    used by a Mac.
    * The Windows version of Virtual PC also uses dynamic recompilation,
    but only to translate kernel mode and real mode x86 code into x86 user
    mode code, while original user mode and virtual 8086 mode code run
    natively.

    It also uses some guest calls traps (especially when using the guest
    extensions) to accelerate emulation or offer additional features, such as
    integration with the host environment.

    Emulating Linux-based environments

    Although installing a Linux-based environment is possible, it is not
    seamless. For some supported Linux distributions, the guest operating
    system will need to be installed in text mode, as Microsoft Virtual PC
    only emulates graphics at 16-bit or 32-bit color depth, not 24-bit. In
    order to run an X Window user interface, the guest operating system will
    need to have xorg.conf edited to 16-bit in order to comply with this
    limitation.[1]

    Some websites specialize in listing operating systems that work over
    Virtual PC, including Linux distributions, so the user can avoid issues
    when testing those unsupported OSes over Virtual PC.

    --
    The email address, above, is most certainly munged. Perhaps you
    might reply to the newsgroup, instead? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread