setup question - Slackware

This is a discussion on setup question - Slackware ; hello! If I want to setup a harddisk with a /slackware directory for beeing used as installation source (and getting a cheap way of downgrading if an upgrade fails), what has to be copied into the directory? I have the ...

  1. setup question

    hello!

    If I want to setup a harddisk with a /slackware directory for beeing
    used as installation source (and getting a cheap way of downgrading if
    an upgrade fails), what has to be copied into the directory?

    I have the choice of downloading iso images, eg. slackware 8.0-extra
    slackware-source. And then I can copy just the tgz files into
    /slackware? Any special structure needed?

    regards,

    Robert

  2. Re: setup question

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:50:35 +0100, r.welz@pro2col.de (Robert Welz) wrote:

    >hello!
    >
    >If I want to setup a harddisk with a /slackware directory for beeing
    >used as installation source (and getting a cheap way of downgrading if
    >an upgrade fails), what has to be copied into the directory?
    >
    >I have the choice of downloading iso images, eg. slackware 8.0-extra
    >slackware-source. And then I can copy just the tgz files into
    >/slackware? Any special structure needed?

    Yes, the same directory structure you find under .../slackware, eg.:

    ~$ ls /home/mirror/slackware-12.0/slackware/
    CHECKSUMS.md5 FILE_LIST PACKAGES.TXT@ a/ d/ f/ kde/ n/ tcl/ xap/
    CHECKSUMS.md5.asc MANIFEST.bz2 README.TXT ap/ e/ k/ l/ t/ x/ y/

    (I don't mirror kdei here)

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/