Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled? - Slackware ; I know that 12.1 is coming someday. Is a current or close version of Qt4 to be included? What version of Cairo will be included? Several of my programs require Qt 4, recent versions of Cairo and so on. I ...

  1. Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    I know that 12.1 is coming someday. Is a current or close version of
    Qt4 to be included? What version of Cairo will be included?

    Several of my programs require Qt 4, recent versions of Cairo and so
    on. I can't convince the developers to use anything but the latest and
    greatest library files. Any advance info would help me in my planning.

    John C.

  2. Re: Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:58:59 -0800, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I know that 12.1 is coming someday. Is a current or close version of
    > Qt4 to be included? What version of Cairo will be included?
    >
    > Several of my programs require Qt 4, recent versions of Cairo and so on.
    > I can't convince the developers to use anything but the latest and
    > greatest library files. Any advance info would help me in my planning.

    I was just reading the changelog for current and now we seem to have
    cairo-1.4.14-i486-1

    Richard James

    --
    If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and

  3. Re: Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > Perhaps your questions would be better addressed to...

    It occurs to me that my previous answer may perhaps have been perceived
    as somewhat rude, it was not my intention that it should be. I wished
    merely to point out that only those directly involved are likely to be
    able to give you advice on which you can rely when making business
    decisions.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  4. Re: Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    On Feb 21, 11:08 pm, Richard James wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:58:59 -0800, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > I know that 12.1 is coming someday. Is a current or close version of
    > > Qt4 to be included? What version of Cairo will be included?

    > > Several of my programs require Qt 4, recent versions of Cairo and so on.
    > > I can't convince the developers to use anything but the latest and
    > > greatest library files. Any advance info would help me in my planning.

    > I was just reading the changelog for current and now we seem to have
    > cairo-1.4.14-i486-1
    >
    > Richard James
    >
    > --

    Thanks. That is one piece to the puzzle but only one I am afraid.

    I have another set of problems with current. Try as I might I cannot
    get my imps2 mouse to work. I just upgraded a Slack 12 partition
    following the instructions for upgrade written by P.V. I looked at
    the rc.d files, the udev files, the /dev/ files (they differ from
    12.0) and so on. I even changed the blacklist file to the newer
    version.

    The most recent post on mouse miseries dates to 2006.
    Any current users who have been able to make a wheel mouse work with
    current please post your solution. I will wait a few days and
    download a more "current" current and try again. I was working from
    a Feb 15 version on a DVD image.

    John Culleton

  5. Re: Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    On Feb 22, 8:48 am, Two Ravens wrote:
    > Two Ravens wrote:
    > > Perhaps your questions would be better addressed to...

    > It occurs to me that my previous answer may perhaps have been perceived
    > as somewhat rude, it was not my intention that it should be. I wished
    > merely to point out that only those directly involved are likely to be
    > able to give you advice on which you can rely when making business
    > decisions.
    >
    > --
    > Two Ravens
    > "...hit the squirrel..."

    No problem. I hesitate to write PV directly because I feel he has
    enough on his plate already. But I will do what you suggest.

    John C.

  6. Re: Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:17:21 -0800, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I have another set of problems with current. Try as I might I cannot
    > get my imps2 mouse to work. I just upgraded a Slack 12 partition
    > following the instructions for upgrade written by P.V. I looked at
    > the rc.d files, the udev files, the /dev/ files (they differ from
    > 12.0) and so on. I even changed the blacklist file to the newer
    > version.

    I can't access my configuration right now but IIRC the mouse device needs
    to be changed to /dev/input/mice instead of /dev/mouse.

  7. Re: Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:17:21 -0800, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > On Feb 21, 11:08 pm, Richard James wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:58:59 -0800, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> > I know that 12.1 is coming someday. Is a current or close version of
    >> > Qt4 to be included? What version of Cairo will be included?

    >> > Several of my programs require Qt 4, recent versions of Cairo and so
    >> > on. I can't convince the developers to use anything but the latest
    >> > and greatest library files. Any advance info would help me in my
    >> > planning.

    >> I was just reading the changelog for current and now we seem to have
    >> cairo-1.4.14-i486-1
    >>
    >> Richard James
    >>
    >> --

    > Thanks. That is one piece to the puzzle but only one I am afraid.
    >
    > I have another set of problems with current. Try as I might I cannot get
    > my imps2 mouse to work. I just upgraded a Slack 12 partition following
    > the instructions for upgrade written by P.V. I looked at the rc.d
    > files, the udev files, the /dev/ files (they differ from 12.0) and so
    > on. I even changed the blacklist file to the newer version.
    >
    > The most recent post on mouse miseries dates to 2006. Any current users
    > who have been able to make a wheel mouse work with current please post
    > your solution. I will wait a few days and download a more "current"
    > current and try again. I was working from a Feb 15 version on a DVD
    > image.

    Don't know what exactly are the problems with your mouse but
    there were a few changes in the X input methods (as you seem
    to use Scribus I'd bet you're not talking about troubles with
    console mouse ;-)

    (now, save a headache and jump directly to example at[*] ;-)

    These changes are related to the new udev (though when
    dealing with udev the basic concepts of new-mint-old should be
    reforged to at least fourty-five 'nuances' between 'faster than
    light' and 'as slow as an ftp upload', anyway...), you may
    have to use 'evdev' input driver, you can see I mootly chose 'mouse/auto'
    (it started to work again a few weeks ago, it worked a few months ago,
    it stopped working a few months less a few weeks ago and I meanwhile used
    the 'event' driver and /dev/mice, oh well the rust never stops...)
    and you also may have access to new "classes" in u/dev/ input tree
    like here in the sample I do use for now
    (until next paradigm poops out, sometimes I have this evil
    feeling that the udev-developers are retired perl-dev's ;~>)
    [*]
    ----------
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_Optical_USB_Mouse-mouse"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    EndSection
    ----------

  8. Re: Is Qt 4.4.3 scheduled?

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:58:59 -0800, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I know that 12.1 is coming someday. Is a current or close version of
    > Qt4 to be included? What version of Cairo will be included?
    >
    > Several of my programs require Qt 4, recent versions of Cairo and so on.
    > I can't convince the developers to use anything but the latest and
    > greatest library files. Any advance info would help me in my planning.
    >
    > John C.

    By the way the latest version is QT 4.3.4 and not 4.4.3.
    I think it will not be included in the next slack because
    there was a message in the changelog that KDE 4 will not
    be included yet:

    quote changelog:

    Great thanks are also due to the KDE team, not only for their tremendous
    accomplishments over the years, but for the gracious reception they gave
    the members of the Slackware team who traveled to the release event. What
    a wonderful group of people! We had a great time there, learned a lot, and
    will be applying that knowledge and our new contacts within KDE to provide
    the best possible KDE experience for Slackware users. The next Slackware
    release will contain KDE 3.5.9, but we're targeting KDE 4.1.x for the one
    after that. The application end of things doesn't quite fully cover KDE3's
    functionality yet, but by then it will. As I'm sure most of you know,
    Robby
    has put up test packages of the initial KDE 4.0 release which I've tested
    and
    found to be consistent with what to expect from a developer's preview.

    end quote.

    You can always compile qt your self install it next to the 3.3.x release.

+ Reply to Thread