Linux Terminal Server? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Linux Terminal Server? - Slackware ; Howdy Slackers, I'd like to set up a terminal server system in my next home, and I of course love Slackware. Questions: * Has anyone gotten Linux Terminal Server (as in Linux Terminal Server Project) up and running with Slackware ...

  1. Linux Terminal Server?

    Howdy Slackers,

    I'd like to set up a terminal server system in my next home, and I of
    course love Slackware.

    Questions:
    * Has anyone gotten Linux Terminal Server (as in Linux Terminal Server
    Project) up and running with Slackware 12.0 (or an earlier version)?
    * Do I need to use Linux Terminal Server, or is there a better way?
    * Should I use Slackware as a gateway, or use something else, like
    OpenBSD?

    Thanks,
    Joel

    --
    Joel J. Adamson
    Biostatistician

  2. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    On 2008-02-21, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
    > Howdy Slackers,
    >
    > I'd like to set up a terminal server system in my next home, and I of
    > course love Slackware.
    >
    > Questions:
    > * Has anyone gotten Linux Terminal Server (as in Linux Terminal Server
    > Project) up and running with Slackware 12.0 (or an earlier version)?
    > * Do I need to use Linux Terminal Server, or is there a better way?
    > * Should I use Slackware as a gateway, or use something else, like
    > OpenBSD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joel

    Can't really help you. Just disappointed that there haven't been
    any responses from the gurus.

    http://www.ltsp.org/

    What's the problem?

    Why don't you just try it?

    12.0 will work fine for a gateway. Just do a minimal install
    without X.

    Why does it have to be diskless? Don't your boxes already have
    disks?

    If so, why not just run remote X sessions on the main box?

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at) | Artificial Intelligence:
    gmail [DOT] com | When the real thing just won't do.

  3. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    Joel J. Adamson skrev 2008-02-21:
    > Howdy Slackers,
    >
    > I'd like to set up a terminal server system in my next home, and I of
    > course love Slackware.
    >
    > Questions:
    > * Has anyone gotten Linux Terminal Server (as in Linux Terminal Server
    > Project) up and running with Slackware 12.0 (or an earlier version)?
    > * Do I need to use Linux Terminal Server, or is there a better way?
    > * Should I use Slackware as a gateway, or use something else, like
    > OpenBSD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joel

    Yes.
    I use it, at some childrens schools, on slackware (10.2), 11.0 and 12.0,
    and it works very well. It's easy to administrate, and each Server gives
    service to 30-40 clients. The clients use pxe boot, so all setup of
    the clients is made on the server.

    About the gateway? The ltsp clients do not need a gateway, since all
    programmes run on the server, so if the Terminalserver is connected
    to the net, all the clients are connected.

    Well - you could run programmes local on the clients and then they
    do need a gateway, and this could then be the Terminalserver.

    Enjoy

    --
    Morten L

  4. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    On 22 Feb, 01:22, Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-02-21, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
    >
    > > Howdy Slackers,

    > > I'd like to set up a terminal server system in my next home, and I of
    > > course love Slackware.

    > > Questions:
    > > * Has anyone gotten Linux Terminal Server (as in Linux Terminal Server
    > > Project) up and running with Slackware 12.0 (or an earlier version)?
    > > * Do I need to use Linux Terminal Server, or is there a better way?
    > > * Should I use Slackware as a gateway, or use something else, like
    > > OpenBSD?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Joel

    > Can't really help you.

    Then please don't respond.

    > Just disappointed that there haven't been
    > any responses from the gurus.

    I'd prefer to let them take their time; if they don't reply, that
    might be a sign of something.

    > http://www.ltsp.org/

    Duh dude. There's no mention of Slackware there.

    > What's the problem?
    >
    > Why don't you just try it?

    Hello! Did you read my post? I said "next home."

    > Why does it have to be diskless? Don't your boxes already have
    > disks?
    >
    > If so, why not just run remote X sessions on the main box?

    This completely misses the point of using a Terminal Server (in the
    parlance of the Linux Terminal Server project):
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mock-Mainframe/index.html

    Joel

  5. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    On 22 Feb, 09:03, Morten L wrote:
    > Joel J. Adamson skrev 2008-02-21:
    >
    > > Howdy Slackers,

    > > I'd like to set up a terminal server system in my next home, and I of
    > > course love Slackware.

    [...]
    > I use it, at some childrens schools, on slackware (10.2), 11.0 and 12.0,
    > and it works very well. It's easy to administrate, and each Server gives
    > service to 30-40 clients. The clients use pxe boot, so all setup of
    > the clients is made on the server.

    Thanks for getting back to me. Okay, so do I have to use the
    software provided by LTSP, or can I just boot the terminals over the
    network (via PXE)? This makes a lot more sense to me --- I don't see
    why I should need special software to run a system the way it was
    meant to run

    Thanks,
    Joel

  6. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    trashbird1240 skrev 2008-02-22:
    > On 22 Feb, 09:03, Morten L wrote:
    >> Joel J. Adamson skrev 2008-02-21:
    >>
    >> > Howdy Slackers,

    >> > I'd like to set up a terminal server system in my next home, and I of
    >> > course love Slackware.

    > [...]
    >> I use it, at some childrens schools, on slackware (10.2), 11.0 and 12.0,
    >> and it works very well. It's easy to administrate, and each Server gives
    >> service to 30-40 clients. The clients use pxe boot, so all setup of
    >> the clients is made on the server.

    > Thanks for getting back to me. Okay, so do I have to use the
    > software provided by LTSP, or can I just boot the terminals over the
    > network (via PXE)? This makes a lot more sense to me --- I don't see
    > why I should need special software to run a system the way it was
    > meant to run

    Well - LTSP is all about putting a minimal Linux with X-Windows on
    the client via the network. First the client boots via PXE, and here
    it gets the Linux-kernel and an initramfs, which then mounts the clients
    filesystem (networkfilesystem - NFS) from the LTSP-server. (If you turn
    off the thin client, it has no software on it at all, just the PXE-loader).

    Then you could use this minimal Linux-system to logon to any
    Linux-server by using the X Display Manager, but typical you will
    logon to the LTSP-server.

    Enjoy

    --
    Morten L

  7. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    Morten L wrote:
    > Joel J. Adamson skrev 2008-02-21:
    > >
    > > Questions:
    > > * Has anyone gotten Linux Terminal Server (as in Linux Terminal Server
    > > Project) up and running with Slackware 12.0 (or an earlier version)?
    > > * Do I need to use Linux Terminal Server, or is there a better way?
    > > * Should I use Slackware as a gateway, or use something else, like
    > > OpenBSD?

    > I use it, at some childrens schools, on slackware (10.2), 11.0 and 12.0,
    > and it works very well. It's easy to administrate, and each Server gives
    > service to 30-40 clients. The clients use pxe boot, so all setup of
    > the clients is made on the server.
    >
    > About the gateway? The ltsp clients do not need a gateway, since all
    > programmes run on the server, so if the Terminalserver is connected
    > to the net, all the clients are connected.
    >
    > Well - you could run programmes local on the clients and then they
    > do need a gateway, and this could then be the Terminalserver.

    I'm using LTSP 4.2 on Slackware 10.2 and 12.0. I don't think they will
    be able to support a large variety of linux distributions with LTSP
    5.x.

    If the hardware is supported by a 2.4 kernel I prefer booting a
    localized DSL initrd image with etherboot instead of LTSP.

    Both solutions are working for quite some time now without any errors.
    Thin client Compaq Evo T20.

    cu Frank

    --
    Micro$oft => Millions of paying Betatesters.

  8. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    Hallo, Frank,

    Du meintest am 23.02.08:

    > I'm using LTSP 4.2 on Slackware 10.2 and 12.0. I don't think they
    > will be able to support a large variety of linux distributions with
    > LTSP 5.x.

    LTSP can run on slackware.

    http://arktur.de/Wiki/Zusatzprogramme:LTSP

    http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0-slac...0.1-1.i386.tgz
    http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0-slac...oarch-1TnA.tgz

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  9. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    Hallo, Frank,

    Du meintest am 23.02.08:

    > There isn't a native slackware package available at the moment,

    But you can use the two packages I had told. They work.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  10. Re: Linux Terminal Server?

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > But you can use the two packages I had told. They work.

    nope, been there, done that, didn't work in my setup,
    will keep my working ltsp 4.2

    cu Frank

    --
    Du weißt es offenbar auch nicht. C ist ein unportabler Makroassembler für
    die PDP11. Eine moderen Architektur kann man damit nicht programmieren.

+ Reply to Thread