general questions - Slackware

This is a discussion on general questions - Slackware ; Hello! I have to upgrade some software on a slackware based server and I got bitten by dependencies. I tried to upgrade openssl from version 0.9.6a to 0.9.8 but this version needs glibc 2.3 and thus breaks on kernel 2.4. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: general questions

  1. general questions

    Hello!

    I have to upgrade some software on a slackware based server and I got
    bitten by dependencies.

    I tried to upgrade openssl from version 0.9.6a to 0.9.8 but this version
    needs glibc 2.3 and thus breaks on kernel 2.4.

    I don't want to go to kernel 2.6 yet but instead I try to downgrade
    openssl to 0.9.6a.

    In packages.slackware.it I found different versions, distiguished by
    slackware/n and slackware/a.

    Q: What is the difference between slackware/n and slackware/a ?

    And is there another way to install /upgrade software than manually
    download and do an installpackage on the package?

    Recommended readings?

    Thank you very much!

    Robert,




  2. Re: general questions

    Please, can someone tell me how to find out what version we use here?

    regards,

    Robert

  3. Re: general questions

    r.welz@pro2col.de (Robert Welz) wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >I have to upgrade some software on a slackware based server and I got
    >bitten by dependencies.
    >
    >I tried to upgrade openssl from version 0.9.6a to 0.9.8 but this version
    >needs glibc 2.3 and thus breaks on kernel 2.4.
    >
    >I don't want to go to kernel 2.6 yet but instead I try to downgrade
    >openssl to 0.9.6a.
    >
    >In packages.slackware.it I found different versions, distiguished by
    >slackware/n and slackware/a.
    >
    >Q: What is the difference between slackware/n and slackware/a ?
    >
    >And is there another way to install /upgrade software than manually
    >download and do an installpackage on the package?
    >
    >Recommended readings?
    >
    >Thank you very much!
    >
    >Robert,


    Package dependencies are a problem no matter which distro you use ...
    if you do not "fanatically" keep your system up to date.

    The work around is to download the source and compile the required
    application yourself. You may want to remove the old package using
    your package manager before installing the new one from source.

    There are many opinions on this topic but this is one solution.
    --
    ------------------------------------------------
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.
    ------------------------------------------------

  4. Re: general questions

    Robert Welz wrote:

    > Please, can someone tell me how to find out what version we use here?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Robert


    $ cat /etc/slackware-version

    --
    Ed

  5. Re: general questions

    Ed Wilson wrote:

    > Robert Welz wrote:
    >
    > > Please, can someone tell me how to find out what version we use here?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >
    > > Robert

    >
    > $ cat /etc/slackware-version


    great, thank you!

    Robert




  6. Re: general questions

    r.welz@pro2col.de (Robert Welz) wrote:
    > I tried to upgrade openssl from version 0.9.6a to 0.9.8 but this version
    > needs glibc 2.3 and thus breaks on kernel 2.4.


    In your next message you asked how to find out which version of Slackware
    you are running...

    Trying to install a package built for one version of Slackware on another
    version of Slackware might break things.

    > I don't want to go to kernel 2.6 yet but instead I try to downgrade
    > openssl to 0.9.6a.


    So reinstall the 0.9.6a package from your installation media or from the
    directory where you have the package you once installed.

    > In packages.slackware.it I found different versions, distiguished by
    > slackware/n and slackware/a.
    > Q: What is the difference between slackware/n and slackware/a ?


    slackware/n and slackware/a are different groups of packages for
    slackware. The n directory contains network packages and the a directory
    contains base applications.

    > And is there another way to install /upgrade software than manually
    > download and do an installpackage on the package?


    It is rather easy to write a script that downloads patch packages to an
    internet connected machine. It is also rather easy to make a cron job that
    automatically installs all packages in a given directory. I wrote about a
    Makefile that I use for this in
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...9b8be5eaa7617d

    regards Henrik
    --
    The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
    hc3(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost


  7. Re: general questions

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > r.welz@pro2col.de (Robert Welz) wrote:
    > > I tried to upgrade openssl from version 0.9.6a to 0.9.8 but this version
    > > needs glibc 2.3 and thus breaks on kernel 2.4.

    >
    > In your next message you asked how to find out which version of
    > Slackware
    > you are running...
    >
    > Trying to install a package built for one version of Slackware on another
    > version of Slackware might break things.
    >
    > > I don't want to go to kernel 2.6 yet but instead I try to downgrade
    > > openssl to 0.9.6a.

    >
    > So reinstall the 0.9.6a package from your installation media or from the
    > directory where you have the package you once installed.
    >
    > > In packages.slackware.it I found different versions, distiguished by
    > > slackware/n and slackware/a.
    > > Q: What is the difference between slackware/n and slackware/a ?

    >
    > slackware/n and slackware/a are different groups of packages for
    > slackware. The n directory contains network packages and the a directory
    > contains base applications.
    >
    > > And is there another way to install /upgrade software than manually
    > > download and do an installpackage on the package?

    >
    > It is rather easy to write a script that downloads patch packages to an
    > internet connected machine. It is also rather easy to make a cron job that
    > automatically installs all packages in a given directory. I wrote about a
    > Makefile that I use for this in
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/
    > browse_thread/thread/30db1887ed84120/d79b8be5eaa7617d
    >
    > regards Henrik


    Thank you very much for your reply.

    Just one question, though,

    I am just reading about installpkg, removepkg and upgradepkg and
    thought, one could upgrade the whole system at once, probably network
    based?

    Is this possible?

    regards,

    Robert





  8. Re: general questions

    > I am just reading about installpkg, removepkg and upgradepkg and
    > thought, one could upgrade the whole system at once, probably network
    > based?
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Robert

    If you can mount the filesystem then the package tools will work, so if you
    want a network upgrade you could use nfs or smbfs. Nfs is also one of the
    options that the install disk will let you use.

    If you are talking about using a http or ftp server you could install
    slackpkg which is in extra or swaret. The biggest problem with slackpkg
    and swaret is that the packages have no dependency information, so if there
    is a particular order or process to be used when doing the upgrade it will
    not be followed unless you have read the changelog( or upgrade.txt) and
    then instruct the programs accordingly.
    --
    Ed

  9. Re: general questions

    Ed Wilson wrote:

    > > I am just reading about installpkg, removepkg and upgradepkg and
    > > thought, one could upgrade the whole system at once, probably network
    > > based?
    > >
    > > Is this possible?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >
    > > Robert

    > If you can mount the filesystem then the package tools will work, so if you
    > want a network upgrade you could use nfs or smbfs. Nfs is also one of the
    > options that the install disk will let you use.
    >
    > If you are talking about using a http or ftp server you could install
    > slackpkg which is in extra or swaret. The biggest problem with slackpkg
    > and swaret is that the packages have no dependency information, so if there
    > is a particular order or process to be used when doing the upgrade it will
    > not be followed unless you have read the changelog( or upgrade.txt) and
    > then instruct the programs accordingly.


    Yes, thank you for all the help.

    I guess the rest of this distro is not too difficult to learn.

    Actually on our machine is slackware 8.0 installed and the openssl
    package comes without md2.h. Now some smtp (TLS) perl modules break on
    that missing header file.

    I updateted openssl and glibc, too and now everything works fine.

    thank you, slackware!

    sincerely,

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread