DVD-R(W) Problems Burning - Slackware

This is a discussion on DVD-R(W) Problems Burning - Slackware ; System - Slackware 11, highly modified, many added packages for DVD related jobs, some stock some compiled. I had been unable to burn DVD-R and DVD-RW consistently using K3B. Then I recalled the author of one package who seemed a ...

  1. DVD-R(W) Problems Burning

    System - Slackware 11, highly modified, many added packages for DVD
    related jobs, some stock some compiled.

    I had been unable to burn DVD-R and DVD-RW consistently using K3B. Then
    I recalled the author of one package who seemed a bit upset at the
    situation and suggested that upgrading a package would fix the issue.

    Unfortunately I had Riteck DVD-RW (junk) but had some good Maxell DVD-R.
    My home DVD player prefers DVD-R media and handles avi, divx, mpeg as
    data files as it's a brand new player.

    I would get one write maybe from the DVD-RW. It also ruined them so they
    would not be recognized and could not be used again after 1-2 writes. If
    I tried to record a movie that was encoded for a single layer DVD if I
    put in a DVD-R it would ask for a Dual Layer DVD and refuse to proceed.

    DVD+R(W) did not have this problem albeit I saw this mentioned in
    GGroups but found no definitive answer or something like

    I got tired of having to boot winblows to burn a simple DVD but I could
    not remember what I needed to do to fix this and had no luck with Google
    Groups. So I decided to up the latest versions of the binaries that K3B
    is a front end for first and then downloaded the latest K3B source and
    compiled it.

    Now I have...

    cdrtools-2.01-i486-1
    dvd+rw-tools-7.0-i686-1jto
    k3b-1.0.4-i386-1 (compiled from source)

    Now it all works properly it seems.

    So my question is in my shotgun approach what was the culprit? I just
    started blasting away and would like to know what exactly I fixed if i
    encounter this or a similar problem again.

    TIA :-)

    PS: My guess is the old version of growisofs was the culprit.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: DVD-R(W) Problems Burning

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > System - Slackware 11, highly modified, many added packages for DVD
    > related jobs, some stock some compiled.
    >
    > I had been unable to burn DVD-R and DVD-RW consistently using K3B. Then
    > I recalled the author of one package who seemed a bit upset at the
    > situation and suggested that upgrading a package would fix the issue.
    >
    > Unfortunately I had Riteck DVD-RW (junk) but had some good Maxell DVD-R.
    > My home DVD player prefers DVD-R media and handles avi, divx, mpeg as
    > data files as it's a brand new player.
    >
    > I would get one write maybe from the DVD-RW. It also ruined them so they
    > would not be recognized and could not be used again after 1-2 writes. If
    > I tried to record a movie that was encoded for a single layer DVD if I
    > put in a DVD-R it would ask for a Dual Layer DVD and refuse to proceed.
    >
    > DVD+R(W) did not have this problem albeit I saw this mentioned in
    > GGroups but found no definitive answer or something like
    >
    > I got tired of having to boot winblows to burn a simple DVD but I could
    > not remember what I needed to do to fix this and had no luck with Google
    > Groups. So I decided to up the latest versions of the binaries that K3B
    > is a front end for first and then downloaded the latest K3B source and
    > compiled it.
    >
    > Now I have...
    >
    > cdrtools-2.01-i486-1
    > dvd+rw-tools-7.0-i686-1jto
    > k3b-1.0.4-i386-1 (compiled from source)
    >
    > Now it all works properly it seems.
    >
    > So my question is in my shotgun approach what was the culprit? I just
    > started blasting away and would like to know what exactly I fixed if i
    > encounter this or a similar problem again.
    >
    > TIA :-)
    >
    > PS: My guess is the old version of growisofs was the culprit.

    I'd wager on k3b. Check out the list of fixes for 1.0.4:
    http://k3b.plainblack.com/

  3. Re: DVD-R(W) Problems Burning

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > cdrtools-2.01-i486-1

    > dvd+rw-tools-7.0-i686-1jto

    If you have the latest cdrtools, anything from about 18 months ago,
    you dont need dvd+rw-tools

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  4. Re: DVD-R(W) Problems Burning

    Res wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >
    > > dvd+rw-tools-7.0-i686-1jto

    > If you have the latest cdrtools, anything from about 18 months ago,
    > you dont need dvd+rw-tools

    I think he got lucky, with the latest dvd+rw-tools.

    newer cdrtools can burn dvds without a key now,
    but he is using k3b as a frontend and IIRC
    k3b cannot burn dvd with cdrecord, only cds.

    But I would try a new cdrecord for dvd burning on console any time
    there are problems, it's a good program.

    cu Frank

    --
    There are ten or twenty basic truths, and life
    is the process of discovering them over and over and over.

+ Reply to Thread