SoundBlaster Audigy problem with Slackware 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on SoundBlaster Audigy problem with Slackware 12.0 - Slackware ; Hello group, I have installed Slackware 12.0 on my Dell Dimensions 8400. The system works fine except for one show-stopping problem: the record functions are not present on my SoundBlaster Audigy card. Playback functions are there and work very well. ...

  1. SoundBlaster Audigy problem with Slackware 12.0

    Hello group,

    I have installed Slackware 12.0 on my Dell Dimensions 8400. The system
    works fine except for one show-stopping problem: the record functions are
    not present on my SoundBlaster Audigy card. Playback functions are there
    and work very well.

    But I can't record. I can raise the mic and line inputs, but there are no
    switches that set these inputs for use.

    In /etc/asound.state, the card is called SoundBlaster Audigy2, but lspci
    just calls this card Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04). Perhaps
    Alsa is mis-interpreting my card.

    This was a problem in Slackware 11.0, but I could re-compile the kernel to
    use the oss version of emu10k1 and all was well. Unfortunately this
    module seems to have gone away in the 2.6.21 kernel so I can't use the oss
    alternative. I've got to solve this problem or fall back to my old
    system.

    If anyone can help I'd appreciate it very much.

    Mike Keithley

  2. Re: SoundBlaster Audigy problem with Slackware 12.0

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:52:31 -0800, Mike Keithley wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > I have installed Slackware 12.0 on my Dell Dimensions 8400. The system
    > works fine except for one show-stopping problem: the record functions
    > are not present on my SoundBlaster Audigy card. Playback functions are
    > there and work very well.
    >
    > But I can't record. I can raise the mic and line inputs, but there are
    > no switches that set these inputs for use.
    >
    > In /etc/asound.state, the card is called SoundBlaster Audigy2, but lspci
    > just calls this card Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04). Perhaps Alsa is
    > mis-interpreting my card.
    >
    > This was a problem in Slackware 11.0, but I could re-compile the kernel
    > to use the oss version of emu10k1 and all was well. Unfortunately this
    > module seems to have gone away in the 2.6.21 kernel so I can't use the
    > oss alternative. I've got to solve this problem or fall back to my old
    > system.
    >
    > If anyone can help I'd appreciate it very much.

    I had a problem that sounds very similar to this. In my case what
    happened was that, besides the SB board, I had a motherboard built-in
    sound device that was enabled in my BIOS. Somehow this was working fine
    under Slackware 10.2, but when I upgraded to Slackware 12 I started to
    observe what you point out: I could play sounds with no problems, but
    recording would just not work. Things started working fine again after I
    made sure to disable the built-in sound device in my BIOS.

+ Reply to Thread