Odd concepts with Linux - Slackware

This is a discussion on Odd concepts with Linux - Slackware ; On 2008-02-17, Chick Tower wrote: > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:07:32 -0600, No_One wrote: > >> What you say is true, however, how can that possibly be translated into a >> web experience. As I mentioned, a website is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Odd concepts with Linux

  1. Re: Odd concepts with Linux

    On 2008-02-17, Chick Tower wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:07:32 -0600, No_One wrote:
    >
    >> What you say is true, however, how can that possibly be translated into a
    >> web experience. As I mentioned, a website is coming online that claims
    >> that users will be able to test drive various distros without installing.
    >>
    >> I was just curious how this was possible....

    >
    > Perhaps the website lets you try out the system utilities, package
    > managers, and applications in various distributions just to see how easy
    > or difficult they are to use. Sort of like a virtual machine on the web
    > you can play around with and when you're finished it gets restarted for
    > the next visitor.
    >


    I honestly do not see how that's possible...if you're running open office in
    debian or slack or what's the visual or, for that
    matter, the practical difference.

    System utils are basically the same...the package utilities, maybe...I guess
    that's possible. However, in mind mind, package utils are much ado about
    nothing.

    ken

  2. Re: Odd concepts with Linux

    On 2008-02-18, Richard James wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:46:00 -0800, Keith Keller wrote:
    >>
    >> I'd forgotten about this issue, thanks. One could beg the question, why
    >> is a script mucking about with the startup procedure? But I won'd do
    >> that.

    >
    > Because the script is an installer program for a daemon like apache or
    > mysql. Actually I just made it up but I was thinking about those sort of
    > programs. They only need to run once but they still need to run.


    Well, they don't *really* need to run--the installer can prompt at the
    end, "Please configure your startup to run this-and-such daemon at the
    appropriate time." I'd prefer that to some script modifying my startup,
    but I do understand that many users prefer the installer to do this for
    them.

    --keith

    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


  3. Re: Odd concepts with Linux

    Richard James wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:13:44 +0000, Chick Tower wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:07:32 -0600, No_One wrote:
    >>
    >>> What you say is true, however, how can that possibly be translated into
    >>> a web experience. As I mentioned, a website is coming online that
    >>> claims that users will be able to test drive various distros without
    >>> installing.
    >>>
    >>> I was just curious how this was possible....

    >> Perhaps the website lets you try out the system utilities, package
    >> managers, and applications in various distributions just to see how easy
    >> or difficult they are to use. Sort of like a virtual machine on the web
    >> you can play around with and when you're finished it gets restarted for
    >> the next visitor.

    >
    > I suppose you could write an X server in Java and run that in the
    > browser. It would connect to a X client running in a virtual machine on
    > the web site. You could have a few thousand such clients but the
    > performance would be a nightmare.
    >
    > Richard James
    >


    vnc already does something like that. I never use it, but IIRC port
    5800+port # is a Java/web vnc server. (I know the windows port supplies
    it, dunno about linux - and like I said, I never use it.)

    But, yes, you can do that.

    Ray

  4. Re: Odd concepts with Linux

    helmut@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote in
    news:AZ07qhqUSsB@helmuthullen.individual.de:

    > Hallo, ~kurt,
    >
    > Du meintest am 17.02.08:
    >
    >> Tom Newton wrote:

    >
    > [nonsense]
    >
    >> Nothing wrong with that. What, are you a commie?

    >
    > No - it's a troll. Don't feed it.
    >
    > Viele Gruesse
    > Helmut
    >
    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    >


    Can you guys take him back? He is leaving troll poop all over other
    NG's



    --
    The usefulness of a cup, is in it's emptiness

  5. Re: Odd concepts with Linux

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:24:40 -0800, Tom Newton wrote:

    > And you are quite right. This site couldn't possibly offer anything but commercials.
    > Sound bytes and eye-candy.


    Maybe someone could do a java or flash interface to a virtual os?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2