Dell Latitude L400 heating problems - Slackware

This is a discussion on Dell Latitude L400 heating problems - Slackware ; Hello everybody, I'm using Slackware 12.0 on a Dell Latitude L400 laptop and I'm experiencing some problems with my temperature. After a while the temperature becomes extremely high. If I continue working, the laptop shutsdown. The fans don't start working ...

  1. Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    Hello everybody,

    I'm using Slackware 12.0 on a Dell Latitude L400 laptop and I'm experiencing
    some problems with my temperature. After a while the temperature becomes
    extremely high. If I continue working, the laptop shutsdown. The fans don't
    start working until the system shutsdown due to overheating and I switch it
    on immidiately. Then the fans work at full speed and continue at that same
    speed, regardless of the temperature.
    It seems to me that as soon as Linux is running the fancontrol is shut off
    and the fan continues working at the speed it was when it entered linux.

    I found on different websites the hint to boot with the kernel option
    'acpi=off'. This solves the problem, because the fancontrol seems to be
    handed back to the BIOS, however, my laptop doesn't poweroff automattically
    when I shut it down.
    Therefore this solution is not a beautiful one, nor the desired one.

    The temperature in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature reads "50 C"
    constantly, in cold condition, and in hot condition.

    I've tried sensors-detect but it only wants me to load i2c-piix4, i2c-dev
    and then finds 'SPD EEPROM'.
    To give the summary of sensors-detect:

    Driver `eeprom' (should be inserted):
    Detects correctly:
    * Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 2180'
    Busdriver `i2c-piix4', I2C address 0x50
    Chip `SPD EEPROM' (confidence: 8)

    EEPROMs are *NOT* sensors! They are data storage chips commonly
    found on memory modules (SPD), in monitors (EDID), or in some
    laptops, for example.

    When booting with the given modules it says:
    No sensors found!
    Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
    Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

    It doesn't seem to solve my problem. The temperature stays the usual 50 C,
    and the fan doesn't start working when the temperature increases.

    Could anyone help me with this problem?

    With regards.

  2. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On 2008-02-12, Blikje Ham wrote:
    > I'm using Slackware 12.0 on a Dell Latitude L400 laptop and I'm experiencing
    > some problems with my temperature.
    > SNIPPED
    > It doesn't seem to solve my problem. The temperature stays the usual 50 C,
    > and the fan doesn't start working when the temperature increases.

    Try this:
    modprobe thermal
    modprobe fan

    Sniff around in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/acpi/ to see if
    any others look interesting...

    -RW

  3. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On 2008-02-13, Robby Workman wrote:
    > Try this:
    > modprobe thermal
    > modprobe fan
    >
    > Sniff around in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/acpi/ to see if
    > any others look interesting...
    >
    > -RW

    I had to load the thermal module to see the temperature. I got
    everything loaded that looks even remotely interesting. However, to no
    avail. The temperature stays at 50 C according to
    /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature.
    The directory /proc/acpi/fan is empty.

  4. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On 2008-02-13, Blikje Ham wrote:
    > On 2008-02-13, Robby Workman wrote:
    >> Try this:
    >> modprobe thermal
    >> modprobe fan
    >>
    >> Sniff around in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/acpi/ to see if
    >> any others look interesting...
    >>

    > I had to load the thermal module to see the temperature. I got
    > everything loaded that looks even remotely interesting. However, to no
    > avail. The temperature stays at 50 C according to
    > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature.
    > The directory /proc/acpi/fan is empty.

    Hmm, well, interesting... Is there a new BIOS available from the
    board manufacturer?

    -RW

  5. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:51:57 +0000, Blikje Ham wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I'm using Slackware 12.0 on a Dell Latitude L400 laptop and I'm
    > experiencing some problems with my temperature. After a while the
    > temperature becomes extremely high.
    > Could anyone help me with this problem?

    SNIP
    > With regards.

    Take a look at dellfand
    http://dellfand.dinglisch.net/
    Works OK for me on dell inspiron 9400 with debian testing
    max temp 35 °C

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  6. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On 2008-02-13, Robby Workman wrote:
    > Hmm, well, interesting... Is there a new BIOS available from the
    > board manufacturer?

    I already have the newest BIOS version. It's not a very recent one, but it
    seems to be the latest version.

  7. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On 2008-02-13, repo wrote:
    > Take a look at dellfand
    > http://dellfand.dinglisch.net/
    > Works OK for me on dell inspiron 9400 with debian testing
    > max temp 35 C

    I shall take a look at it. I hope it could solve my problem.
    I will post my findings later on.

  8. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On 2008-02-13, repo wrote:
    > Take a look at dellfand
    > http://dellfand.dinglisch.net/
    > Works OK for me on dell inspiron 9400 with debian testing
    > max temp 35 C

    Ok, I took a look at dellfand. On compiling it gave some warnings about high,
    low, and off may being used uninitialized in 'this' function.
    Upon running dellfand without arguments it returns:
    v0.9: Fan 0 Status -1 Speed -1 CPU Temp -1C

    So then let's try it with some arguments:
    # ./dellfand 0 1 25 35 50
    Fan 0 Status -1->0 Speed -1 CPU Temp -1C
    dellfand: warning: set fan 0 status to 0 last cycle, it's now -1 (BIOS \
    interference ?)
    Fan 0 Status -1->0 Speed -1 CPU Temp -1C
    etc.

    Somehow it doesn't seem to work straigt away. Maybe I'm missing some modules
    I should have loaded or should have unloaded.

    Have you got any hints?

  9. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:24:01 +0000, Blikje Ham wrote:

    > On 2008-02-13, repo wrote:
    >> Take a look at dellfand
    >> http://dellfand.dinglisch.net/
    >> Works OK for me on dell inspiron 9400 with debian testing max temp 35
    >> °C
    >>

    > Ok, I took a look at dellfand. On compiling it gave some warnings about
    > high, low, and off may being used uninitialized in 'this' function. Upon
    > running dellfand without arguments it returns: v0.9: Fan 0 Status -1
    > Speed -1 CPU Temp -1C
    >
    > So then let's try it with some arguments: # ./dellfand 0 1 25 35 50
    > Fan 0 Status -1->0 Speed -1 CPU Temp -1C dellfand: warning: set fan 0
    > status to 0 last cycle, it's now -1 (BIOS \ interference ?)
    > Fan 0 Status -1->0 Speed -1 CPU Temp -1C etc.
    >
    > Somehow it doesn't seem to work straigt away. Maybe I'm missing some
    > modules I should have loaded or should have unloaded.
    >
    > Have you got any hints?

    This is my setup
    /usr/sbin/dellfand 1 10 30 38 40

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  10. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    On 2008-02-13, repo wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:24:01 +0000, Blikje Ham wrote:
    >
    >> Have you got any hints?

    > This is my setup
    > /usr/sbin/dellfand 1 10 30 38 40

    The website of dellfand refers somewhere to another site about possible
    platforms that work. The reffered site is
    http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html
    On that site there is a list with supported platforms, and it says with the
    Dell Latitude L400 that it is an incompatible system. There is no fan control
    no Read CPU temp, no Read fan speed, no Read fan status and no Temp control.

    So I guess I have to turn to another solution.

  11. Re: Dell Latitude L400 heating problems

    Blikje Ham wrote:
    > On 2008-02-13, repo wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:24:01 +0000, Blikje Ham wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have you got any hints?

    >> This is my setup
    >> /usr/sbin/dellfand 1 10 30 38 40
    >>

    > The website of dellfand refers somewhere to another site about possible
    > platforms that work. The reffered site is
    > http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html
    > On that site there is a list with supported platforms, and it says with the
    > Dell Latitude L400 that it is an incompatible system. There is no fan control
    > no Read CPU temp, no Read fan speed, no Read fan status and no Temp control.
    >
    > So I guess I have to turn to another solution.

    Do you have the i8k module loaded? The doc says it's for an Inspiron
    8000 (hence the name) but I've used it on 2 different Latitudes along
    with i8kctl to monitor fan speed & cpu temperature & control the fan.

    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread