do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1? - Slackware

This is a discussion on do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1? - Slackware ; I installed Slackware 9.1 on an old Dell Dimension L500r a few weeks ago. (I only have access to it on the weekends.) I spent some time reviewing the BASH shell from the commandline, and everything seemed to be working ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

  1. do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    I installed Slackware 9.1 on an old Dell Dimension L500r a few weeks
    ago.
    (I only have access to it on the weekends.)

    I spent some time reviewing the BASH shell from the commandline,
    and everything seemed to be working as advertised.

    Yesterday, I ran netconfig and configured the network for a PPP dial-
    up
    connection and created the first user account.

    The first time I logged in using the new user account (instead of
    root,
    which I had been doing) I executed a few commands (date, cal) and then
    tried
    to open a file for editing in vi.

    When I ran: # vi file1

    I got an error message: "no such session"

    When the prompt returned, it was shifted to the right on the screen.
    When I entered the next command, it was not echoed to the screen.
    However, the command could be executed and the output went to
    the screen as expected, but the spread out all over
    the screen (as though tabs were inserted between fields in the
    output).
    When the prompt returned, it started one character to the right of
    the last character of the output (on the next line down).

    When I log out and log back in, the terminal functions normally
    again,
    UNTIL I try to execute vi, at which point the described behavior
    recurs.

    If I log back in as root, the terminal functions normally again,
    and I am able to execute vi.

    Rebooting doesn't alter this scenario.

    I deleted the new user account and recreated it, but this doesn't
    alter the scenario.

    I also find that running startx, it crashes on takeoff,
    producing some error messages, of which the only one that seems
    possibly helpful is:

    "cat: /home/hinman/.Xauthority: No such file or directory"
    and
    "Failed to create /tem/gconfd-hinman: No space left on device"

    Here I should mention that I have a 10 GB HD (completely dedicated
    to the Linux installation) partitioned into 4 primary partitions
    (3 partitions of 3 GB each and a swap partition of 1 GB).
    I believe that 3GB should be enough for the root partition.

    The log file /var/log/Xfree86.0.log is referenced. This has 940
    lines of output, but nothing that is helpful to me, in my present
    state of ignorance.

    I should also mention that I have Slackware 9.1 installed on a
    Dell Dimension 4100, that I have access to during the week. This
    installation (with a 20 GB HD) has not shown any of symptoms
    described
    above.

    I will be grateful for any thoughts any of you may have about this.

    Thanks & Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:29:27 -0800 (PST), Vwaju wrote:

    > "Failed to create /tem/gconfd-hinman: No space left on device"

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Where did /tem come from? Did you mean /tmp?

    What does df say about freespace?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    Hi, Grant --

    Yes, I should have said "tmp".

    I did not know about df.

    Although I don't have access to the Dimension L500r machine until the
    weekend, running df on the Dimension 4100 machine shows that Slackware
    9.1 is usinng more than 3 GB of the 9.4 GB root partition.
    Therefore, I will probably find that the 3GB partition on the L500r
    (with the identical installation) is about 100% utilized.

    Assuming that is the problem, I suppose I will have to enlarge the
    root partition. Do I have to reinstall, or can I re-partition on the
    fly?

    Many thanks for your help.

    Grant wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:29:27 -0800 (PST), Vwaju wrote:
    >
    > > "Failed to create /tem/gconfd-hinman: No space left on device"

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > Where did /tem come from? Did you mean /tmp?
    >
    > What does df say about freespace?
    >
    > Grant.
    > --
    > http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/


  4. Re: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 2008-02-11, Vwaju wrote:
    > Although I don't have access to the Dimension L500r machine until the
    > weekend, running df on the Dimension 4100 machine shows that Slackware
    > 9.1 is usinng more than 3 GB of the 9.4 GB root partition.
    > Therefore, I will probably find that the 3GB partition on the L500r
    > (with the identical installation) is about 100% utilized.
    >
    > Assuming that is the problem, I suppose I will have to enlarge the
    > root partition. Do I have to reinstall, or can I re-partition on the
    > fly?


    You will probably need to re-partition and re-install. it's likely
    that somewhere along the line during your install, the root filesystem
    ran out of space and any pacakges installed after that point...
    actually weren't installed.

    You might be able to remedy this by removing /opt/kde if you don't use
    it, or selectively removepkg things you don't think you need.

    While you (in theory) can re-partition "on the fly" so to speak, I
    really wouldn't recommend it.

    - --
    It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    Ecclesiastes 7:5
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHsPY2rZS6hX/gvjoRAoV5AKCgNVOUYJd3z20uMRIfhYIwImSO8QCgyrXL
    ItUcvnvgF19voOPwRsFwTGo=
    =Vk6u
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. Re: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:24:47 -0800 (PST), Vwaju wrote:

    >Yes, I should have said "tmp".
    >
    >I did not know about df.
    >
    >Although I don't have access to the Dimension L500r machine until the
    >weekend, running df on the Dimension 4100 machine shows that Slackware
    >9.1 is usinng more than 3 GB of the 9.4 GB root partition.
    >Therefore, I will probably find that the 3GB partition on the L500r
    >(with the identical installation) is about 100% utilized.
    >
    >Assuming that is the problem, I suppose I will have to enlarge the
    >root partition. Do I have to reinstall, or can I re-partition on the
    >fly?


    Depends on the drive layout, what does 'fdisk -l' report? You might
    use a bootable live CD with gparted on it to resize partitions, though
    it may be easier (more reliable) to start over now that you have an
    idea of your disk usage.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  6. Re: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Grant wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:24:47 -0800 (PST), Vwaju wrote:

    [...]
    >> Although I don't have access to the Dimension L500r machine until the
    >> weekend, running df on the Dimension 4100 machine shows that Slackware
    >> 9.1 is usinng more than 3 GB of the 9.4 GB root partition.
    >> Therefore, I will probably find that the 3GB partition on the L500r
    >> (with the identical installation) is about 100% utilized.
    >> Assuming that is the problem, I suppose I will have to enlarge the
    >> root partition. Do I have to reinstall, or can I re-partition on the
    >> fly?

    >
    > Depends on the drive layout, what does 'fdisk -l' report? You might
    > use a bootable live CD with gparted on it to resize partitions, though
    > it may be easier (more reliable) to start over now that you have an
    > idea of your disk usage.
    > Grant.


    It might be possible to resize 'on the fly', but IMHO, in this
    case it would probably be best to wipe the drive and start fresh.
    (a) we don't know what undiscovered errors, if any, may have
    occured during install, and (b) the admin's skill set is not
    (yet) very broad, and his efforts may be better spent learning
    other aspects of his system. KISS.

    I would recommend a simple two partition scheme - one small one
    for swap and the rest of the drive into one for /.
    I have problems imagining any real benefit from splitting a
    single small drive into multiple partitions. KISS.

    HTH
    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  7. Re: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    On 2008-02-11, Vwaju wrote:

    Just a quick mention: I'm running slack 9.1 one one machine now with a 30g
    hd. I should point out -- a full install of slack less gnome, on my system,
    is well over 3.5 gigs

    As WH pointed out you, might be better with two partitions instead of the
    usual three or four.

    Just start from the beginning and do it all over again -- you're better off.

    ken

  8. Re: do I need a patch for Slackware 9.1?

    Many thanks to all for the helpful advice!

    Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City

    No_One wrote:
    > On 2008-02-11, Vwaju wrote:
    >
    > Just a quick mention: I'm running slack 9.1 one one machine now with a 30g
    > hd. I should point out -- a full install of slack less gnome, on my system,
    > is well over 3.5 gigs
    >
    > As WH pointed out you, might be better with two partitions instead of the
    > usual three or four.
    >
    > Just start from the beginning and do it all over again -- you're better off.
    >
    > ken


+ Reply to Thread