    Thnx

    Max

  2. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    On 2008-02-11, TheMaxer wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I'm running slackware 10 in commandline mode. I have an application
    > which I suspect is eating a lot of CPU time, e.g. cpu load close 100%
    > all the time. How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    > tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    > time?
    >
    > Thnx
    >
    > Max

    Maybe tload is what you're looking for

    man tload

    ken

  3. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    TheMaxer wrote:
    > How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    > tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    > time?

    top

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  4. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    On 2008-02-11, No_One wrote:
    > On 2008-02-11, TheMaxer wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> I'm running slackware 10 in commandline mode. I have an application
    >> which I suspect is eating a lot of CPU time, e.g. cpu load close 100%
    >> all the time. How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    >> tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    >> time?
    >>
    >> Thnx
    >>
    >> Max

    > Maybe tload is what you're looking for
    >
    > man tload
    >
    > ken

    as a follow up to my followup you might try htop...it's not part of the
    slack distro, however, the source is a breeze to compile...or try top...htop
    has somewhat more options.

    ken

  5. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    On 2008-02-11, TheMaxer wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I'm running slackware 10 in commandline mode. I have an application
    > which I suspect is eating a lot of CPU time, e.g. cpu load close 100%
    > all the time. How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    > tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    > time?

    Here's a script you can play with:

    watch -n 5 "/usr/bin/top -b -n 1 | head -n 5"

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at)
    gmail [DOT] com

  6. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 00:31:34 -0800, TheMaxer wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I'm running slackware 10 in commandline mode. I have an application
    > which I suspect is eating a lot of CPU time, e.g. cpu load close 100%
    > all the time. How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    > tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    > time?
    >
    > Thnx
    >
    > Max

    Hi Max,

    At http://www.bootchart.org/ there's a tool called bootchart.
    It doesn't log to the command line, but it does produce a nice
    chart showing cpu and disk usage. It's default use is to profile the
    boot processes, but it can also be used to monitor a specific
    application, when it will also log any related processes.

    e.g. to monitor firefox, start firefox with the bootchart logger:
    sudo /sbin/bootchartd start firefox
    which will profile firefox, run-mozilla.sh and firefox-bin

    Good luck

  7. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > On 2008-02-11, TheMaxer wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> I'm running slackware 10 in commandline mode. I have an application
    >> which I suspect is eating a lot of CPU time, e.g. cpu load close 100%
    >> all the time. How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    >> tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    >> time?
    >>

    > Here's a script you can play with:
    >
    > watch -n 5 "/usr/bin/top -b -n 1 | head -n 5"
    >
    > Tom

    Or, do the same thing with
    top
    Four keystrokes. One process. Zero disk space. Zero dumbass ODE factor.

    --
    Old Man

    Playing with the ODE will make you blind.

  8. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    On 2008-02-11, Old Man wrote:
    > Tom Newton wrote:
    >>
    >> watch -n 5 "/usr/bin/top -b -n 1 | head -n 5"

    > Or, do the same thing with
    > top
    > Four keystrokes. One process. Zero disk space. Zero dumbass ODE factor.

    True, but ''Tom's'' has comedic value.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  9. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > True, but ''Tom's'' has comedic value.

    OK, I'll admit to a chuckle.

    --
    Old Man

    Playing with the ODE will make you go blind.

  10. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    TheMaxer wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I'm running slackware 10 in commandline mode. I have an application
    > which I suspect is eating a lot of CPU time, e.g. cpu load close 100%
    > all the time. How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    > tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    > time?
    >
    > Thnx
    >
    > Max

    if you have another box with an X server
    you can run gkrellmd on the box

  11. Re: Monitoring CPU load

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:46:01 +0100, "goarilla@work" wrote:

    >TheMaxer wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> I'm running slackware 10 in commandline mode. I have an application
    >> which I suspect is eating a lot of CPU time, e.g. cpu load close 100%
    >> all the time. How can I monitor cpu load from the command line? Is a
    >> tool available that prints cpu load somewere to the console all the
    >> time?
    >>
    >> Thnx
    >>
    >> Max

    >if you have another box with an X server
    >you can run gkrellmd on the box

    Doesn't address the OP's query, try 'cat /proc/loadavg'

    Or, perhaps: 'while :; do cat /proc/loadavg; sleep 30; done' for a
    continuing check?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/