cdrom drive device name - Slackware

This is a discussion on cdrom drive device name - Slackware ; on my slack12.0 box all links that node to the CD/DVD drive are ending with "1". $ls /dev/cd* /dev/cdr1 /dev/cdrom1 /dev/cdrw1 /dev/cdwriter1 $ls /dev/dvd* /dev/dvd1 /dev/dvdrw1 /dev/dvdwriter1 I don't know why they're all ending with "1"! there is some time ...

  1. cdrom drive device name

    on my slack12.0 box all links that node to the CD/DVD drive are ending
    with "1".

    $ls /dev/cd*
    /dev/cdr1 /dev/cdrom1 /dev/cdrw1 /dev/cdwriter1

    $ls /dev/dvd*
    /dev/dvd1 /dev/dvdrw1 /dev/dvdwriter1

    I don't know why they're all ending with "1"!
    there is some time ago i symlinked all these nodes with name without that
    "1" but at the next boot they all won't stay.

    i don't want to add a script to symlink at boot.
    i want to know why things have gone this way.

    it's quite annoying because when i want to watch a dvd or any video cd i'm
    forced to specify the device name to mplayer otherwise mplayer won't find
    the device.

  2. Re: cdrom drive device name

    Hallo, heavytull,

    Du meintest am 10.02.08:

    > on my slack12.0 box all links that node to the CD/DVD drive are
    > ending with "1".

    > $ls /dev/cd*
    > /dev/cdr1 /dev/cdrom1 /dev/cdrw1 /dev/cdwriter1

    > i don't want to add a script to symlink at boot.
    > i want to know why things have gone this way.

    If you use "udev" then define these devices in "/lib/udev/devices". When
    "udev" starts working it first copies these entries to "/dev".

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  3. Re: cdrom drive device name

    heavytull@hotmail.com wrote:
    > on my slack12.0 box all links that node to the CD/DVD drive are ending
    > with "1".
    >
    > $ls /dev/cd*
    > /dev/cdr1 /dev/cdrom1 /dev/cdrw1 /dev/cdwriter1
    >
    > $ls /dev/dvd*
    > /dev/dvd1 /dev/dvdrw1 /dev/dvdwriter1
    >
    > I don't know why they're all ending with "1"!
    > there is some time ago i symlinked all these nodes with name without that
    > "1" but at the next boot they all won't stay.
    >
    > i don't want to add a script to symlink at boot.
    > i want to know why things have gone this way.
    >
    > it's quite annoying because when i want to watch a dvd or any video cd i'm
    > forced to specify the device name to mplayer otherwise mplayer won't find
    > the device.

    You might have to remove /etc/udev/rules.d/75-optical-device.rules and
    reboot. That file remembers CD drives (even if they are gone), and new
    devices get the next number. (For example, I removed an IDE CD and
    installed a SATA CD and it became /dev/cdrom1 even though cdrom and cdrom0
    were gone.)

+ Reply to Thread