Serial Port Permissions - Slackware

This is a discussion on Serial Port Permissions - Slackware ; I am a new Slackware 12.0 user who recently transitioned from Mandriva. I am very pleased with what the results have been so far. It has been a great deal easier to set-up and get going than I was led ...

  1. Serial Port Permissions

    I am a new Slackware 12.0 user who recently transitioned from Mandriva.
    I am very pleased with what the results have been so far. It has been
    a great deal easier to set-up and get going than I was led to believe.

    One thing that I have not been able to figure out or to find much
    information on is configuring the serial posts for non-root users. I
    have some equipment that use 3 serial ports. I can issue the command
    "chmod a+rw /dev/ttySx" as root to allow users to access the ports, but
    after a shutdown or a re-boot they default back to only root access.

    Do I need to add the users to a certain group to allow access, or write
    a start-up script to initialize the ports for users upon boot? If a
    script is needed, where should it go? Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Larry

  2. Re: Serial Port Permissions

    Larry wrote:
    > I am a new Slackware 12.0 user who recently transitioned from Mandriva.
    > I am very pleased with what the results have been so far. It has been
    > a great deal easier to set-up and get going than I was led to believe.
    >
    > One thing that I have not been able to figure out or to find much
    > information on is configuring the serial posts for non-root users. I
    > have some equipment that use 3 serial ports. I can issue the command
    > "chmod a+rw /dev/ttySx" as root to allow users to access the ports, but
    > after a shutdown or a re-boot they default back to only root access.
    >
    > Do I need to add the users to a certain group to allow access, or write
    > a start-up script to initialize the ports for users upon boot? If a
    > script is needed, where should it go? Any help would be appreciated.

    The proper way is to configure udev; see for example

    http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

    Alternatively you can put the chmod command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so
    that it will be executed at each boot.

    Olive

  3. Re: Serial Port Permissions

    Olive wrote:

    >> Do I need to add the users to a certain group to allow access, or
    >> write a start-up script to initialize the ports for users upon boot?
    >> If a script is needed, where should it go? Any help would be
    >> appreciated.

    > The proper way is to configure udev; see for example
    >
    > http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
    >
    > Alternatively you can put the chmod command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so
    > that it will be executed at each boot.
    >
    > Olive

    Olive,
    I edited the udev.rules file section entitled "#Serial or Dialout
    Devices" to change the port permissions from 0660 to 0666 and I added
    users to the uucp group, and now all is well. Thanks so much for the help.
    Larry

+ Reply to Thread