Thank you Tom, Loki, et al. - Slackware

This is a discussion on Thank you Tom, Loki, et al. - Slackware ; Tom, Loki, et al. It looks like the thread that I started about my problem sending email with elm and mutt has been timed-out. I regret that horrendous demands at my job and family obligations prevented me from pursuing this ...

  1. Thank you Tom, Loki, et al.

    Tom, Loki, et al.

    It looks like the thread that I started about my problem sending email
    with elm and mutt has been timed-out.

    I regret that horrendous demands at my job and family obligations
    prevented me from pursuing this question more aggressively.

    However, forsaking my beloved command-line interface, I found it was a
    simple matter to configure KMail for sending and receiving. I think I
    will let the matter rest there for now (until I have become better
    grounded in Linux fundamentals).

    However, our conversation was not wasted. It was a big help in
    clarifying some important issues for conceptually.

    For example: Running Linux (Fifth Edition) says on p.151: "You will
    be asked whether you want to use SMTP or talk to a Sendmail
    installation directly. In almost all cases, if you have an MTA
    installed locally, you will want to select SMTP." I did select SMTP,
    and that works. However, I don't know what the "MTA installed
    locally" is on my machine. I assume that the MTA in question is some
    program (other than sendmail, which starts up at boot time) that can
    communicate with the SMTP server at RCN (my ISP). Can anyone explain
    this to me?

    Thanks Again & Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: Thank you Tom, Loki, et al.

    On 2008-02-09, Vwaju wrote:
    > Tom, Loki, et al.
    >
    > It looks like the thread that I started about my problem sending email
    > with elm and mutt has been timed-out.
    >
    > I regret that horrendous demands at my job and family obligations
    > prevented me from pursuing this question more aggressively.
    >
    > However, forsaking my beloved command-line interface, I found it was a
    > simple matter to configure KMail for sending and receiving. I think I
    > will let the matter rest there for now (until I have become better
    > grounded in Linux fundamentals).
    >
    > However, our conversation was not wasted. It was a big help in
    > clarifying some important issues for conceptually.
    >
    > For example: Running Linux (Fifth Edition) says on p.151: "You will
    > be asked whether you want to use SMTP or talk to a Sendmail
    > installation directly. In almost all cases, if you have an MTA
    > installed locally, you will want to select SMTP." I did select SMTP,
    > and that works. However, I don't know what the "MTA installed
    > locally" is on my machine. I assume that the MTA in question is some
    > program (other than sendmail, which starts up at boot time) that can
    > communicate with the SMTP server at RCN (my ISP). Can anyone explain
    > this to me?

    Your local MTA _is_ sendmail. MTA = Mail Transer Agent = mail server =
    SMTP server.

    Yes, it can communicate with the mail server at your ISP because that's
    what mail server's do: communicate with other mail servers and send
    and receive mail and deliver it (usually to a POP/IMAP server).

    But their delivery is generally kind of crude, so Linux/Unix
    has a number of MDA (Mail Delivery Agents) that refine the
    process. (A POP/IMAP server has this functionality builtin, I
    think). Procmail is an MDA. It takes mail from either an MTA or
    a mail-retrieving and forwarding utility like fetchmail. which
    fetches mail from a POP/IMAP server, and delivers it to wherever
    you want it to go, filtering it in the process, if you want.

    You can use sendmail to send mail to your ISPs MTA. Kmail has
    it's own, simplified, send-only, SMTP server built in.

    A lot of us use similarly simplified. send-only MTAs that are
    independent of the MUA (Mail User Agent/mail client). Like esmtp
    and msmtp.

    Have a good one,

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at)
    gmail [DOT] com

  3. Re: Thank you Tom, Loki, et al.

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:11:27 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > I assume that the MTA in question is some program (other than sendmail,
    > which starts up at boot time) that can communicate with the SMTP server
    > at RCN (my ISP).

    No MTA starts up unless you configure one to do so, Vwaju. For a PC that
    connects directly to a router or modem (rather than being part of a LAN
    that connects through one PC or other network device), don't even bother
    with an MTA.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

+ Reply to Thread