News - Leafnode or alternatives? - Slackware

This is a discussion on News - Leafnode or alternatives? - Slackware ; Chaps, currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers? Like using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the kill filing on the server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling that is beyond what the current ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    Chaps,

    currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers? Like
    using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the kill filing on the
    server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling that is beyond what the
    current snapshot of leafnode-2 offers and both that and leafnode don't seem
    to be undergoing much develment.

    Could likely do what I want in INN - stopped using that years back when I
    found I could not get suck to work for some unknown reason - and it was
    simply too much trouble to configure - OK if you play with it weekly as a
    news admin but too much to forget if you only tinker with the config once a
    year.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    * Peter Chant wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > Chaps,
    >
    > currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers?
    > Like using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the kill filing
    > on the server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling that is beyond
    > what the current snapshot of leafnode-2 offers

    Such as?

    --
    David

  3. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Peter Chant wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:
    >
    >> Chaps,
    >>
    >> currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers?
    >> Like using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the kill filing
    >> on the server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling that is beyond
    >> what the current snapshot of leafnode-2 offers

    > Such as?

    Max cross-posts would be a good start. Crossposts to certain newsgroups.
    Leafnode-2 has replaced leafnode's filters with regular expressions - I
    think this was why I switched from leafnode to leafnode 2. If comes to the
    worst my delve into source and see if I could add functionality (and kill
    server performance??) by simply passing an article through an external
    program or script.

    Just thinking - regexp on number of commas in the Newsgroups: header. d'Oh!
    Similarly

    newsgroups=.*
    pattern=^Newsgroups:.*alt\.alien\.vampire\.flonk\. flonk\.flonk

    Think thought that leafnode-2 goes a bit mad with .* in an expression, it
    seems to match anything, regardless of anything else in the line.

    One think I was thinking of doing was setting up a system so that if a post
    was killed when followups would automatically be killed and so would their
    followups and so on. Could be a good way of getting rid of garbage where
    otherwise good posters follow-up people I don't want to see posts from.

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:55:13 +0000, Peter Chant wrote:

    >>> currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers?
    >>> Like using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the kill filing
    >>> on the server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling that is beyond
    >>> what the current snapshot of leafnode-2 offers

    >> Such as?
    >>

    > Max cross-posts would be a good start. Crossposts to certain
    > newsgroups.

    I can't claim to have kept up with leafnode, but dropping all posts that
    were crossposted to more than a set number of groups used to be a trivial
    edit in the config. ISTR that I only had to uncomment the relevant line
    and think of a number.

  5. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    * Peter Chant wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Peter Chant wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:
    >>
    >>> Chaps,
    >>>
    >>> currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news
    >>> servers? Like using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the
    >>> kill filing on the server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling
    >>> that is beyond what the current snapshot of leafnode-2 offers

    >> Such as?
    >>

    > Max cross-posts would be a good start. Crossposts to certain
    > newsgroups. Leafnode-2 has replaced leafnode's filters with regular
    > expressions - I think this was why I switched from leafnode to
    > leafnode 2. If comes to the worst my delve into source and see if I
    > could add functionality (and kill server performance??) by simply
    > passing an article through an external program or script.

    Maxcrossposts is still available in leafnode-2 in the filterfile if I am
    not mistaken.

    > Just thinking - regexp on number of commas in the Newsgroups: header.
    > d'Oh! Similarly

    I just do this in slrn since leafnode is local the expensive nature of the
    filter is unseen, BUT you can move it to XREF instead and since it is in
    the XOVER (newsgroups is not) is wont be expensive anyway and it should be
    fine.

    > newsgroups=.*
    > pattern=^Newsgroups:.*alt\.alien\.vampire\.flonk\. flonk\.flonk
    >
    > Think thought that leafnode-2 goes a bit mad with .* in an expression,
    > it seems to match anything, regardless of anything else in the line.
    >
    > One think I was thinking of doing was setting up a system so that if a
    > post was killed when followups would automatically be killed and so
    > would their followups and so on. Could be a good way of getting rid
    > of garbage where otherwise good posters follow-up people I don't want
    > to see posts from.

    I would never allow someone to poison a thread that way, different strokes

    --
    David

  6. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Chaps,
    >
    > currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers? Like

    We use dnews, its not free, but very powerful, if you have thousands of
    users, its excellent, and very resource kind, which is unusual for a news
    server

    I dont too much like netwin's repalcement for it (surgenews), too mch
    mucking about and many of dnews features are not included.

    > news admin but too much to forget if you only tinker with the config once a
    > year.

    Dnews is configure and forget, I cant remember the last time anyone
    tinkered with its config file, ahh looks like it was September '06 when we
    changed to adding authentication access as well as IP based.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  7. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    Peter Chant wrote :

    > Max cross-posts would be a good start.

    I'm using Leafnode-1.11.6 and it has a 'maxcrosspost' option in its
    config file.

    > Crossposts to certain newsgroups.

    This can be set in Leafnodes filterfile:
    ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]rec\.photo\.digital$
    ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]rec\.photo\.digital,

    > Leafnode-2 has replaced leafnode's filters with regular expressions

    Leafnode-1.11.6's filter is using regular expressions.
    --
    Thomas O.

  8. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On 2008-02-07, Peter Chant wrote:
    > currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers? Like
    > using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the kill filing on the
    > server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling that is beyond what the
    > current snapshot of leafnode-2 offers and both that and leafnode don't seem
    > to be undergoing much develment.

    Mind you if you have a closer look at release dates you will see a
    pattern of regular but perhaps not frenzied updates:

    leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20070602a.tar.bz2 02-Jun-2007 12:04 349K
    leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20070108a.tar.bz2 08-Jan-2007 03:55 349K
    leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20061204a.tar.bz2 04-Dec-2006 08:14 345K
    leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20061010a.tar.bz2 10-Oct-2006 01:55 345K
    leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20060831a.tar.bz2 01-Sep-2006 00:54 345K

    etc etc. Interesting to see that such powerful software comes in such
    a small package.

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  9. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On 2008-02-07, Mark South wrote:
    > I can't claim to have kept up with leafnode, but dropping all posts that
    > were crossposted to more than a set number of groups used to be a trivial
    > edit in the config. ISTR that I only had to uncomment the relevant line
    > and think of a number.

    The file filters.example gives this example:

    ### do not fetch articles posted to more than five groups
    ### Note: this will in many cases only work after the article
    ### has been downloaded, so it's not too efficient for your
    ### bandwidth, but it keeps your newsgroups tidy unless your
    ### newsreader tracks crossposts -- not many do :-(
    maxcrosspost = 5
    action = kill

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  10. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    SINNER wrote:

    > Maxcrossposts is still available in leafnode-2 in the filterfile if I am
    > not mistaken.

    Either you are or I am!!!!!!

    If I include

    maxcrosspost=5

    with or without action=kill

    then applyfilter responds with filter file not found. Remove
    them and it works. I think that leafnode 2 is currently part way through a
    major filter revamp.

    >> Just thinking - regexp on number of commas in the Newsgroups: header.
    >> d'Oh! Similarly

    > I just do this in slrn since leafnode is local the expensive nature of the
    > filter is unseen, BUT you can move it to XREF instead and since it is in
    > the XOVER (newsgroups is not) is wont be expensive anyway and it should be
    > fine.

    Never really _got_ slrn. Can't see how filtering on the XREF header would
    work as it only lists my local machine, the article no and the one
    newsgroup.

    > I would never allow someone to poison a thread that way, different strokes

    Yes, but it would kill only there person I wanted not to read and followups,
    not the rest of the thread. I'm only killing it for me!

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  11. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Peter Chant wrote :
    >
    >> Max cross-posts would be a good start.

    > I'm using Leafnode-1.11.6 and it has a 'maxcrosspost' option in its
    > config file.

    But not in leafnode-2's.

    >> Crossposts to certain newsgroups.

    > This can be set in Leafnodes filterfile:
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]rec\.photo\.digital$
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]rec\.photo\.digital,
    >
    >> Leafnode-2 has replaced leafnode's filters with regular expressions

    > Leafnode-1.11.6's filter is using regular expressions.

    Hmm - might have to consider rolling back. There was a good reason to going
    to leafnode-2, even if it is beta - if only I could remember what it was.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  12. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    Res wrote:

    > We use dnews, its not free, but very powerful, if you have thousands of
    > users, its excellent, and very resource kind, which is unusual for a news
    > server

    0.001 thousand users...

    > I dont too much like netwin's repalcement for it (surgenews), too mch
    > mucking about and many of dnews features are not included.
    >

    >> news admin but too much to forget if you only tinker with the config once
    >> a year.

    > Dnews is configure and forget, I cant remember the last time anyone
    > tinkered with its config file, ahh looks like it was September '06 when we
    > changed to adding authentication access as well as IP based.

    That was my trouble, I touched INN every time I upgraded Slack, every other
    slack version roll. Long enough to forget the tricks and tips.

    Still, less cryptic than editing sendmail.cf files...

    ( still add DMpetezilla.co.uk to my sendmail.cf when I update slackware!
    Never sussed how sendmail.m4 simplified things. Scary )

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  13. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > Well, in all honesty it doesn't do a whole lot--it connects to an
    > upstream nntp server to retrieve messages, and services nntp clients and
    > sends them articles. Obviously a package like innd is much more
    > involved, but that's the point of leafnode, to be a small nntp server
    > for a small site.

    Well, yes, but as I've not written and news server code*, and knowing the
    byzantine horror of INN config you comment above could equate to:

    I'll simply got to medical school, become a scientist and then I'll cure
    cancer!

    ;-)

    Well, I did write an autoposter script in expect that used the I-have
    protocol to talk to INN - that seemed quite painless and worked - I was
    surprised.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  14. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Peter Chant wrote:

    >> Dnews is configure and forget, I cant remember the last time anyone
    >> tinkered with its config file, ahh looks like it was September '06 when we
    >> changed to adding authentication access as well as IP based.
    >>

    > That was my trouble, I touched INN every time I upgraded Slack, every other
    > slack version roll. Long enough to forget the tricks and tips.

    I've used slapt-get up distro upgrade for many releases now, it doesnt
    touch Dnews, since it did not install it

    > Still, less cryptic than editing sendmail.cf files...

    But you should not be editing the .cf thats why .mc is provided

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  15. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On 2008-02-07, Peter Chant wrote:

    [...]

    > If I include
    >
    > maxcrosspost=5
    >
    > with or without action=kill
    >
    > then applyfilter responds with filter file not found. Remove
    > them and it works. I think that leafnode 2 is currently part way through a
    > major filter revamp.

    Seems a little odd as it works well here. Please forgive me for asking
    what may be a very obvious question but you /have/ set the following:

    ## If you want to filter out certain regular expressions in the header,
    ## create a "filterfile" (how this is done is explained in the README)
    ## and set (optional):
    filterfile = /etc/leafnode/filters

    in the /etc/leafnode/config file? It is commented out by default.

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  16. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On 2008-02-07, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Chaps,
    >
    > currently use leafnode-2. What do other people use for news servers? Like
    > using knode plus leafnode-2 - prefer carring out the kill filing on the
    > server. Thing is, want to go some killfilling that is beyond what the
    > current snapshot of leafnode-2 offers and both that and leafnode don't seem
    > to be undergoing much develment.
    >
    > Could likely do what I want in INN - stopped using that years back when I
    > found I could not get suck to work for some unknown reason - and it was
    > simply too much trouble to configure - OK if you play with it weekly as a
    > news admin but too much to forget if you only tinker with the config once a
    > year.
    >
    > Pete

    With a local newspool, which slrnpull and leafnode provide, you aren't limited
    to what either your newsreader or local server can do. You can perform any
    kind of filtering on the contents of the newspool, before opening it in your
    newsreader, with shell scripts and other external utilities.

    For instance: I have a script that deletes all responses to killed posts
    from my newspool before slrn comes up.

    You'll never find a pre-packaged app that will do everything you want.
    They are all written by people to do what _they_ want.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at)
    gmail [DOT] com

  17. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    andrew wrote:

    > Seems a little odd as it works well here. Please forgive me for asking
    > what may be a very obvious question but you /have/ set the following:

    Not at all, can anyone claim they never make simple errors?

    > ## If you want to filter out certain regular expressions in the header,
    > ## create a "filterfile" (how this is done is explained in the README)
    > ## and set (optional):
    > filterfile = /etc/leafnode/filters
    >
    > in the /etc/leafnode/config file? It is commented out by default.

    For some reason I have commented that out and replaced it with:

    filterfile = //etc/leafnode/config

    probally trial and error. Think I ought to confirm I have the latest source
    and rebuild this weekend.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  18. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    Res wrote:

    >> Still, less cryptic than editing sendmail.cf files...

    > But you should not be editing the .cf thats why .mc is provided

    Yes, but my sendmail shamanistic powers are not great and provided I insert
    that one line into slacks stock install of .cf then I don't have to go into
    the world of mysticism that is .mc.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  19. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > With a local newspool, which slrnpull and leafnode provide, you aren't
    > limited to what either your newsreader or local server can do. You can
    > perform any kind of filtering on the contents of the newspool, before
    > opening it in your newsreader, with shell scripts and other external
    > utilities.

    Yes, but does this not confuse the server as artcles go missing. Much
    neater to filter as the articles are fetched surely.

    > For instance: I have a script that deletes all responses to killed posts
    > from my newspool before slrn comes up.

    Yes, have written scripts to scan the news spool for other reasons.

    > You'll never find a pre-packaged app that will do everything you want.
    > They are all written by people to do what _they_ want.

    Yes, INN provided a tcl (and perl?) interfaces just so you could do that for
    filtering.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  20. Re: News - Leafnode or alternatives?

    On 2008-02-08, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Tom Newton wrote:
    >

    >> With a local newspool, which slrnpull and leafnode provide, you aren't
    >> limited to what either your newsreader or local server can do. You can
    >> perform any kind of filtering on the contents of the newspool, before
    >> opening it in your newsreader, with shell scripts and other external
    >> utilities.
    >>

    > Yes, but does this not confuse the server as artcles go missing.

    Not so far.

    > Much
    > neater to filter as the articles are fetched surely.

    Yeh. I think you are right about that.

    >> For instance: I have a script that deletes all responses to killed posts
    >> from my newspool before slrn comes up.

    > Yes, have written scripts to scan the news spool for other reasons.
    >
    >> You'll never find a pre-packaged app that will do everything you want.
    >> They are all written by people to do what _they_ want.

    > Yes, INN provided a tcl (and perl?) interfaces just so you could do that for
    > filtering.

    I just got leafnode up and running. Very impressive. I have three servers listed,
    one to post and three to fetch. I am surprised at the number of articles my
    main server misses. It's a small number, but still...

    I don't normally use inetd (or anything like it), so I just bring
    it up when using leafnode and then kill it.

    Now I've got to learn PCRE's. Wonder why they couldn't use POSIX regexes.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at)
    gmail [DOT] com