How2 find the <binary-file> behind the icon ? - Slackware

This is a discussion on How2 find the <binary-file> behind the icon ? - Slackware ; ...it's Icon is 'eyes of gnome', but how is the binary's name found in general. I've just confirmed that linux does fileID's with embedded " "; which is not good ?! eg. by: date > 'long name', but: date > ...

  1. How2 find the <binary-file> behind the icon ?

    ...it's Icon is 'eyes of gnome', but how is the binary's name
    found in general.

    I've just confirmed that linux does fileID's with embedded " ";
    which is not good ?! eg. by: date > 'long name',
    but: date > long name
    creates empty file: long, and an error mesg.

    Thanks for any feedback,

    == C.Glur.

  2. Re: How2 find the <binary-file> behind the icon ?

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 07:19:36 -0600, problems@gmail wrote:

    >but: date > long name
    >creates empty file: long, and an error mesg.

    grant@deltree:~$ date > long name
    date: invalid date `name'
    grant@deltree:~$ date > "long name"
    grant@deltree:~$ cat "long name"
    Thu Feb 7 00:28:53 EST 2008

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: How2 find the <binary-file> behind the icon ?

    problems@gmail staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > [A program's] icon is 'eyes of gnome', but how is the binary's name
    > found in general?

    Take a look at this snippet from a KDE .desktop file:

    [Desktop Entry]
    Exec=xine -s DVD
    Icon=package_multimedia
    Name=Xine DVD player

    ....and locate tells me that files named things like
    /usr/kde/3.5/share/icons/kdeclassic/48x48/apps/package_multimedia.png
    exist. GNOME does something very similar, and IIRC both of the big DEs
    are moving towards using the same format for .desktop files if they're
    not there already.

    > I've just confirmed that linux does fileID's with embedded " ";
    > which is not good?!

    The only illegal characters in filenames are NUL and / . This is a
    Feature.

    > [For example,] date > 'long name' [works], but: date > long name
    > creates [an] empty file: long, and an error mesg.

    Spaces are interpreted as token delimiters for obvious reasons, so to
    manipulate a token containing spaces in the shell, you have to quote or
    escape the token. Like so:

    date > "file name" # OK
    date > 'file name' # OK
    date > file\ name # OK
    date > file name # FAIL

    --
    We aim to please. If our aim or grouping fails to satisfy, we will
    cheerfully shoot you again at our own expense.

  4. Re: How2 find the <binary-file> behind the icon ?

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 07:19:36 -0600, problems wrote:

    > ..it's Icon is 'eyes of gnome', but how is the binary's name found in
    > general.

    Menu-click on the icon, then select properties. It shows me the name of
    the command, which in this case is "eog".

    Typing "which eog" in a shell will show you the full pathname of that app.

    > I've just confirmed that linux does fileID's with embedded " "; which is
    > not good ?! eg. by: date > 'long name', but: date > long name
    > creates empty file: long, and an error mesg.

    Sorry, I have no idea what this part is about...?

+ Reply to Thread