What's a better email program? - Slackware

This is a discussion on What's a better email program? - Slackware ; I'm using Thunderbird currently and am subscibded to many different mailing lists. Thunderbird although it has an excellent SPAM filter doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail. So should I use a different client or set up something like ...

  1. What's a better email program?

    I'm using Thunderbird currently and am subscibded to many different
    mailing lists. Thunderbird although it has an excellent SPAM filter
    doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.

    So should I use a different client or set up something like procmail?

    Richard James

  2. Re: What's a better email program?

    Richard James wrote:

    > I'm using Thunderbird currently and am subscibded to many different
    > mailing lists. Thunderbird although it has an excellent SPAM filter
    > doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.
    >
    > So should I use a different client or set up something like procmail?

    I have in the past used Thunderbird, I found that once one had set up
    the necessary 'Folders' under 'Local Folders' then it was a relatively
    trivial matter to set a filter for mail coming in by the 'from'
    addresses, to direct each item into a specific folder, in the case of
    mailing lists the 'To' address works equally as well, if one sets a
    filter on the address both 'To' and 'From' then the replies one makes
    go into the same folders.

    I do have to say though that I now use Kmail which has similar features
    and use the same system.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  3. Re: What's a better email program? Addendum

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > I have in the past used Thunderbird, I found that once one had set up
    > the necessary 'Folders' under 'Local Folders' then it was a relatively
    > trivial matter to set a filter for mail coming in by the 'from'
    > addresses, to direct each item into a specific folder, in the case of
    > mailing lists the 'To' address works equally as well, if one sets a
    > filter on the address both 'To' and 'From' then the replies one makes
    > go into the same folders.

    I should off course have pointed out that having displayed the message,
    one right clicks on the address, (either 'To' or 'From'), and then uses
    the 'Create Filter from Message...' option.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  4. Re: What's a better email program?

    On 2008-02-04, Richard James wrote:
    > I'm using Thunderbird currently and am subscibded to many different
    > mailing lists. Thunderbird although it has an excellent SPAM filter
    > doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.
    >
    > So should I use a different client or set up something like procmail?

    Both. Use mutt with procmail and fetchmail and msmtp.

    That's my mail suite, and if you choose to use those apps, I can
    show you how to configure them. Except that I don't do html mail
    or attachments. (I have a procmail recipe that converts html mail
    to plain text.) But plenty of people do and there's scads of
    documentation on the Web.

    Nothing much to setting up a workable setup with those apps.

    Tom

  5. Re: What's a better email program?

  6. Re: What's a better email program?

    On 2008-02-04, Richard James wrote:
    > I'm using Thunderbird currently and am subscibded to many different
    > mailing lists. Thunderbird although it has an excellent SPAM filter
    > doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.
    >
    > So should I use a different client or set up something like procmail?

    I use SpamAssassin for this purpose, which I run at the SMTP level
    (i.e., postfix pipes mail through spamd). As my client I use mutt,
    which is excellent at sorting mail. You can also run SpamAssassin
    through procmail if you don't want to (or can't for whatever reason)
    b0rk around with your MTA.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: What's a better email program?

    On 2008-02-04, Richard James wrote:

    > doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.

    I've noticed it doesn't move spam to junk folder as indicated in the
    "options" settings. Seems to catch 'em ok, just not move 'em. Anyone else
    having this problem?

    nb

  8. Re: What's a better email program?

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Richard James wrote:

    > I'm using Thunderbird currently and am subscibded to many different
    > mailing lists. Thunderbird although it has an excellent SPAM filter
    > doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.

    Kmail or Evolution, I prefer the latter but you need to install many extra
    programs, as its Gnome based.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  9. Re: What's a better email program? Addendum

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:21:38 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Two Ravens wrote:
    >
    >> I have in the past used Thunderbird, I found that once one had set up
    >> the necessary 'Folders' under 'Local Folders' then it was a relatively
    >> trivial matter to set a filter for mail coming in by the 'from'
    >> addresses, to direct each item into a specific folder, in the case of
    >> mailing lists the 'To' address works equally as well, if one sets a
    >> filter on the address both 'To' and 'From' then the replies one makes
    >> go into the same folders.

    > I should off course have pointed out that having displayed the message,
    > one right clicks on the address, (either 'To' or 'From'), and then uses
    > the 'Create Filter from Message...' option.

    That solves most of my problems. I might still need procmail for the rest.

    Richard James

  10. Re: What's a better email program? Addendum

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:59:34 +0000, Richard James wrote:

    > That solves most of my problems. I might still need procmail for the
    > rest.

    I had a few issues getting Thunderbird to do this filtering. First there
    are two containers for messages. One is named after my email address and
    the other is named local-folders. Both work on incoming mail but only the
    local-folders works if you select from the menu to run filters.

    The other issue is sometimes Thunderbird has never heard of a field name
    like Sender. To fix that select customise in the fields drop down list
    and add the field.

    Richard James

  11. Re: What's a better email program? Addendum

    On 2008-02-04, Richard James wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:59:34 +0000, Richard James wrote:
    >
    >> That solves most of my problems. I might still need procmail for the
    >> rest.

    > I had a few issues getting Thunderbird to do this filtering. First there
    > are two containers for messages. One is named after my email address and
    > the other is named local-folders. Both work on incoming mail but only the
    > local-folders works if you select from the menu to run filters.

    Be sure to tell Thunderbird to "Use Global Inbox (store mail in Local
    Folders)" when you're setting up the account. That coupled with the
    next bit makes filtering mailing lists quite simple...

    > The other issue is sometimes Thunderbird has never heard of a field name
    > like Sender. To fix that select customise in the fields drop down list
    > and add the field.

    Most (if not all) of the mailing lists to which I'm subscribed set an
    "X-BeenThere" header - filter on that.

    -RW

  12. Re: What's a better email program?

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:26:59 +0000, notbob wrote:

    >> doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.

    > I've noticed it doesn't move spam to junk folder as indicated in the
    > "options" settings. Seems to catch 'em ok, just not move 'em. Anyone else
    > having this problem?

    Edit / Account Settings / Junk Settings / checkbox for "move new junk
    messages to:"

    Should fix it. Works a treat here.

  13. Re: What's a better email program? Addendum

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 01:58:29 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    >> The other issue is sometimes Thunderbird has never heard of a field
    >> name like Sender. To fix that select customise in the fields drop down
    >> list and add the field.

    > Most (if not all) of the mailing lists to which I'm subscribed set an
    > "X-BeenThere" header - filter on that.

    Yeah I get a few phpBB ones and they don't. The only trouble I can
    foresee is if I have multiple stuff coming from one place that I want
    sorted into two different folders. But I'll handle that when I get to it.

    Richard James

  14. Re: What's a better email program?

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:03:50 +0000, Richard James wrote:

    > I'm using Thunderbird currently and am subscibded to many different
    > mailing lists. Thunderbird although it has an excellent SPAM filter
    > doesn't seem to any good at sorting mail.
    >
    > So should I use a different client or set up something like procmail?
    >
    > Richard James

    I use Evolution, although it requires a number of gnome libraries (see
    garnome). It integrates with SpamAssassin and bogofilter, so spam
    detection is easy and automatic.

    Another possibility, and not dependent on gnome, is claws-mail. It's a
    little rough around the edges, although lightweight.

    IIRC T-bird has mail filters that can sort your mail. If not, Evolution is
    exceptional at this.

    --
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread