screen garbage - Slackware

This is a discussion on screen garbage - Slackware ; If you make the mistake of trying to cat a binary file, you get garbage on the screen. I read somewhere how to restore "sanity" to your screen, but I can't remember now. Please advise. Thanks & Best Regards, Vwaju ...

  1. screen garbage

    If you make the mistake of trying to cat a binary file, you get
    garbage on the screen.

    I read somewhere how to restore "sanity" to your screen, but I can't
    remember now. Please advise.

    Thanks & Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: screen garbage

    On Feb 3, 8:44 pm, Vwaju wrote:
    > If you make the mistake of trying to cat a binary file, you get
    > garbage on the screen.
    >
    > I read somewhere how to restore "sanity" to your screen, but I can't
    > remember now. Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    Sorry, I should have googled it first. Here's something that works:

    echo CTRL-V ESC c

    If anyone knows any other tricks, I'd be glad to hear them. (Now,
    back to the Super Bowl!)

    Thanks & Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City

  3. Re: screen garbage

    Vwaju wrote:

    > On Feb 3, 8:44 pm, Vwaju wrote:
    >> If you make the mistake of trying to cat a binary file, you get
    >> garbage on the screen.
    >>
    >> I read somewhere how to restore "sanity" to your screen, but I can't
    >> remember now. Please advise.
    >>
    >> Thanks & Best Regards,
    >> Vwaju
    >> New York City

    > Sorry, I should have googled it first. Here's something that works:
    >
    > echo CTRL-V ESC c
    >
    > If anyone knows any other tricks, I'd be glad to hear them. (Now,
    > back to the Super Bowl!)
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    stty sane might also work.

    Cheers
    --
    David Robley

    I am the girl-next-door's imaginary boyfriend.
    Today is Setting Orange, the 35th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174.

  4. Re: screen garbage

    On 2008-02-04, Vwaju wrote:
    > If you make the mistake of trying to cat a binary file, you get
    > garbage on the screen.
    >
    > I read somewhere how to restore "sanity" to your screen, but I can't
    > remember now. Please advise.

    Type "reset".

    Bud

+ Reply to Thread