    What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?

    Thanks & Best Regards,

  2. Re: login program in Slackware

    On 2008-02-04, Vwaju wrote:
    > Straight out of the box, the login program of Slackware Linux 9.1
    > seems to read some configuration file that set's the shell prompt,
    > prints out a quote (and probably a few other things).
    >
    > What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,

    First, we'd like to know how the sending mail challenge is coming along.

    Please reply on that thread.

    Tom

  3. Re: login program in Slackware

    On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-02-04, Vwaju wrote:
    >> Straight out of the box, the login program of Slackware Linux 9.1
    >> seems to read some configuration file that set's the shell prompt,
    >> prints out a quote (and probably a few other things).
    >>
    >> What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?
    >>
    >> Thanks & Best Regards,
    >>

    > First, we'd like to know how the sending mail challenge is coming along.
    >
    > Please reply on that thread.
    >
    > Tom

    P.S. This follow through on the part of the person with the intitial question
    is an important part of the process.

    For the record and our own edification, we need to know what you did to solve
    the problem and why and how.

    Tom

  4. Re: login program in Slackware

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:41:57 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > Straight out of the box, the login program of Slackware Linux 9.1
    > seems to read some configuration file that set's the shell prompt,
    > prints out a quote (and probably a few other things).
    >
    > What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?

    The shell prompt is set by the config file: /etc/profile

    The printed quote is done with the program 'fortune', which is called by
    the script: /etc/profile.d/bsd-games-login-fortune.sh (name might be
    slightly different in that old version of Slackware, but similar).

  5. Re: login program in Slackware

    On 2008-02-04, Vwaju wrote:
    > Straight out of the box, the login program of Slackware Linux 9.1
    > seems to read some configuration file that set's the shell prompt,
    > prints out a quote (and probably a few other things).
    >
    > What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,

    Hello again, Vwaju.

    The welcome message is found in /etc/issue and is displayed by /sbin/agetty.

    Which also sets the login prompt. It is called by /sbin/init.

    See man agetty.

    Tom

  6. Re: login program in Slackware

    On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-02-04, Vwaju wrote:
    >> Straight out of the box, the login program of Slackware Linux 9.1
    >> seems to read some configuration file that set's the shell prompt,
    >> prints out a quote (and probably a few other things).
    >>
    >> What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?

    > The welcome message is found in /etc/issue and is displayed by /sbin/agetty.
    >
    > Which also sets the login prompt. It is called by /sbin/init.

    This answer doesn't actually answer the OP's question. Did you even
    read it?

    To the OP, please see Dan's answer in this thread, which is actually
    accurate, unlike ''Tom'''s.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: login program in Slackware

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 21:19:34 -0800, Keith Keller wrote:

    >> Which also sets the login prompt. It is called by /sbin/init.

    > This answer doesn't actually answer the OP's question. Did you even
    > read it?

    This really blows my mind. Claiming to dethrone KDE but not able to work
    out the fortune thing which has been in the FAQ for almost a decade,
    wowsers.

    Richard James

  8. Re: login program in Slackware

    Richard James wrote:

    > This really blows my mind. Claiming to dethrone KDE but not able to
    > work out the fortune thing which has been in the FAQ for almost a
    > decade, wowsers.

    Well... as it seems it took my post of Wednesday 23 Jan 2008 20:54:02 to
    prompt him to look into the information that could be garnered
    from 'Google Groups', (posting history). It's hardly surprising that he
    has yet to read the FAQ, or it could be that most of it was either
    written by, or edited by, those he has placed on/in his 'kill file'
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  9. Re: login program in Slackware

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Richard James wrote:
    >
    >> This really blows my mind. Claiming to dethrone KDE but not able to
    >> work out the fortune thing which has been in the FAQ for almost a
    >> decade, wowsers.

    > Well... as it seems it took my post of Wednesday 23 Jan 2008 20:54:02 to
    > prompt him to look into the information that could be garnered
    > from 'Google Groups', (posting history). It's hardly surprising that he
    > has yet to read the FAQ, or it could be that most of it was either
    > written by, or edited by, those he has placed on/in his 'kill file'

    The bigger question is who hasnt he killfiled he's been caught out
    stalking and trolling so much he claims to ignore 99% of this group, and
    it takes 2 posts from him to threaten newer posters than him, hes a
    coward, and maybe the FBI would do well to investigate this loser and his
    actions, I was told tonight on IRC by an admin of a U.S ISP who has read
    this groups archives that he has commited many federal offences, enough that
    could yield him 10 plus years behind bars.... now theres a thought

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  10. Re: login program in Slackware

    Res wrote:

    > I was told tonight on IRC by an admin of a U.S ISP who has read
    > this groups archives that he has commited many federal offences,
    > enough that could yield him 10 plus years behind bars.... now theres a
    > thought

    It does seem to indicate a juvenile, as one would have thought that a
    more mature person, being barred by a news-server, would have learned
    that there is at least a risk of inconvenient consequences associated
    with making threats. Perhaps someone may bring his activities to the
    attention of the appropriate body.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  11. Re: login program in Slackware

    Hallo, Two,

    Du meintest am 04.02.08:

    [Tom ...]

    > It does seem to indicate a juvenile,

    No - it's a troll. Why do you feed it?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  12. Re: login program in Slackware

    Res wrote:
    > I was told tonight on IRC by an admin of a U.S ISP who has read
    > this groups archives that he has commited many federal offences, enough that
    > could yield him 10 plus years behind bars.... now theres a thought

    yeah, the though being, of course, in what sort of country could you get 10
    plus years behind bars for writing stuff in a text-based internet forum?
    china comes to mind.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  13. Re: login program in Slackware

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > No - it's a troll. Why do you feed it?

    I was replying to a) Richard James and b) Res, are you suggesting that
    either is a Troll?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  14. Re: login program in Slackware

    On Feb 3, 8:41 pm, Vwaju wrote:
    > Straight out of the box, the login program of Slackware Linux 9.1
    > seems to read some configuration file that set's the shell prompt,
    > prints out a quote (and probably a few other things).
    >
    > What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?

    Start with /etc/login.defs and /etc/login.access
    /etc/login.defs defines which files will be used to issue hello
    messages, which values will be used for PATH, etc
    * /etc/motd is the file that contains the default "message of the
    day", but the filename can be overridden by login.defs

    * /etc/issue is the file that contains the default "prior to login"
    message for console logins, but the filename can be overrridden by
    login.defs
    * /etc/issue.net is the file that contains the default "prior to
    login" message for network logins as set by login.defs
    * /etc/environment is the location that contains the default
    environment variable settings as set by login.defs

    /etc/profile contains the initial profile script. it uses scripts in /
    etc/profile.d

  15. Re: login program in Slackware

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 04:29:57 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    >> Straight out of the box, the login program of Slackware Linux 9.1
    >> seems to read some configuration file that set's the shell prompt,
    >> prints out a quote (and probably a few other things).
    >>
    >> What is the name of this configuration file and where is it?

    > The welcome message is found in /etc/issue and is displayed by /sbin/agetty.
    > Which also sets the login prompt. It is called by /sbin/init.

    Wrong, n00b. Not even close.

    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/planters.jpg

    --
    "Tom N" ("Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  16. Re: login program in Slackware

    Two Ravens (two-ravens@operamail.org) writes:

    > It does seem to indicate a juvenile, as one would have thought that a
    > more mature person, being barred by a news-server, would have learned
    > that there is at least a risk of inconvenient consequences associated
    > with making threats. Perhaps someone may bring his activities to the
    > attention of the appropriate body.

    His parents?

    Michael

  17. Re: login program in Slackware

    "Joost Kremers" escreveu na mensagem
    news:slrnfqe489.hlo.joostkremers@j.kremers4.news.a rnhem.chello.nl...
    > Res wrote:
    >> I was told tonight on IRC by an admin of a U.S ISP who has read
    >> this groups archives that he has commited many federal offences, enough
    >> that
    >> could yield him 10 plus years behind bars.... now theres a thought

    > yeah, the though being, of course, in what sort of country could you get
    > 10
    > plus years behind bars for writing stuff in a text-based internet forum?
    > china comes to mind.
    >

    > --
    > Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    > Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    > EN:SiS(9)

    Touché... :^)

    Best regards

    Paulo Costa

    --
    I don't have a sig...

  18. Re: login program in Slackware

    Michael Black wrote:

    > His parents?

    Would you want to admit to not only conceiving him, but also funding his
    connection to an ISP?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  19. Re: login program in Slackware

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Res wrote:
    >
    >> I was told tonight on IRC by an admin of a U.S ISP who has read
    >> this groups archives that he has commited many federal offences,
    >> enough that could yield him 10 plus years behind bars.... now theres a
    >> thought

    > It does seem to indicate a juvenile, as one would have thought that a
    > more mature person, being barred by a news-server, would have learned
    > that there is at least a risk of inconvenient consequences associated
    > with making threats. Perhaps someone may bring his activities to the
    > attention of the appropriate body.

    I think its only a mater of time before that happens, there's only so many
    times you can push people before someone turns around and shoves you back,
    if he was in my country the police would be the least of his problems,
    there are some very nasty types on usenet over here who when pushed, have
    been known to seek justice for the groups concerned, these are ordinarily
    very nice people, until pushed

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  20. Re: login program in Slackware

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > Res wrote:
    >> I was told tonight on IRC by an admin of a U.S ISP who has read
    >> this groups archives that he has commited many federal offences, enough that
    >> could yield him 10 plus years behind bars.... now theres a thought

    > yeah, the though being, of course, in what sort of country could you get 10
    > plus years behind bars for writing stuff in a text-based internet forum?
    > china comes to mind.

    Apaprently the U.S. UK and Australia, its all under the cyber terror
    laws.

    --
    Cheers
    Res