file removal - Slackware

This is a discussion on file removal - Slackware ; OK, I got a 0 byte file on a vfat fs on a 4G pendrive. It's a failed dwnld or some such thing from a slack box. OK, so I go to an XP box (don't ask) and discover I ...

  1. file removal

    OK, I got a 0 byte file on a vfat fs on a 4G pendrive. It's a failed dwnld
    or some such thing from a slack box. OK, so I go to an XP box (don't ask)
    and discover I can't delete this empty file on this same pendrive. Yeah,
    it's Windows, so no surprise there, right? OK, so I reboot the XP box w/
    Knoppix 5.1.1 and try and delete the file with that. No go! Error says
    something like:

    read only fs ... cannot remove file

    ??? ....and this is as root. What's the problem? BTW, I got it off just
    fine back on the original slack box with:

    rm ./foo

    Why didn't it work with a linux live disk. Are those bogus?

    nb

  2. Re: file removal

    On 2008-02-03, notbob wrote:
    > OK, I got a 0 byte file on a vfat fs on a 4G pendrive. It's a failed dwnld
    > or some such thing from a slack box. OK, so I go to an XP box (don't ask)
    > and discover I can't delete this empty file on this same pendrive. Yeah,
    > it's Windows, so no surprise there, right? OK, so I reboot the XP box w/
    > Knoppix 5.1.1 and try and delete the file with that. No go! Error says
    > something like:
    >
    > read only fs ... cannot remove file
    >
    > ??? ....and this is as root. What's the problem? BTW, I got it off just
    > fine back on the original slack box with:
    >
    > rm ./foo
    >
    > Why didn't it work with a linux live disk. Are those bogus?

    Sounds like knoppix 'thought' the pendrive was a part of its own filesystem,
    which is read-only cause it's on a cd.

    Just a guess...

    Tom

  3. Re: file removal

    notbob wrote:
    > OK, I got a 0 byte file on a vfat fs on a 4G pendrive. It's a failed dwnld
    > or some such thing from a slack box. OK, so I go to an XP box (don't ask)
    > and discover I can't delete this empty file on this same pendrive. Yeah,
    > it's Windows, so no surprise there, right? OK, so I reboot the XP box w/
    > Knoppix 5.1.1 and try and delete the file with that. No go! Error says
    > something like:
    >
    > read only fs ... cannot remove file
    >
    > ??? ....and this is as root. What's the problem? BTW, I got it off just
    > fine back on the original slack box with:
    >
    > rm ./foo
    >
    > Why didn't it work with a linux live disk. Are those bogus?

    They aren't bogus, but they may have different defaults; it sounds
    like knoppix mounted the disk as read-only.

    Next time, try `mount -w device dir`.

    - Daniel

  4. Re: file removal

    Hallo, notbob,

    Du meintest am 03.02.08:

    > OK, I got a 0 byte file on a vfat fs on a 4G pendrive. It's a failed
    > dwnld or some such thing from a slack box. OK, so I go to an XP box
    > (don't ask) and discover I can't delete this empty file on this same
    > pendrive.

    Try (under Windows) "scandisk" (or how Windows may call this program).
    Windows makes this job better than Linux on vfat partitions. And Linux
    switches to "ro" if it detects an error on the file system.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  5. Re: file removal

    "notbob" escreveu na mensagem

    > read only fs ... cannot remove file
    >
    > ??? ....and this is as root. What's the problem? BTW, I got it off
    > just
    > fine back on the original slack box with:
    >
    > rm ./foo
    >
    > Why didn't it work with a linux live disk. Are those bogus?
    >
    > nb

    Some pendrives (all?) have a small switch that acts like a write protection
    tab. You might have switched it to the read-only position. It happens to me
    now and then, maybe that's it?

    Best regards

    Paulo Costa

    --