Sill need help rearranging disks .. - Slackware

This is a discussion on Sill need help rearranging disks .. - Slackware ; Help.. A few days ago I wrote in about rearranging my disks as follows: > Hello, > I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently >I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ...

  1. Sill need help rearranging disks ..

    Help.. A few days ago I wrote in about rearranging my disks as follows:

    > Hello,

    > I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently
    >I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd
    > which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. hdc is
    > my CD writer.

    > I tried removing the older small disk - hdb - and put the larger
    > disk in it's place. But then when I tried to reboot I got a whole
    > mess of Lx's ( I forget what x was, 9 or 90 comes to mind ).

    > Would someone kindly explain how to rearrange things so that hda
    > remains win2k, hdb my large Slack and hdc stays CD writer. I intend
    > to remove the small Slack disk. What files do I need to modify and
    > how. I do remember editing fstab but I still got the Lx's stated
    > above.

    > It is my intent to start doing backups on my PC but I want the
    > disk arrangement taken care of first.

    Ok. So I got feedback. It was explained to edit fstab and make the changes
    to reflect the new set up. Then I switched my Linux disk with my CD writer
    making Linux hdc and the CD-W hdd. Then I disconnected the old Linux
    disk ( was hdb) and then edited lilo.conf and changed hdd1 to hdc1. Then
    I ran lilo. Lilo did complain about it ( forgot what it said ) but I went on
    anyway. I then rebooted . At some point the boot process stopped and
    the following appeared:
    kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on 16:01 ............

    Oh boy.. So I rearranged the hardware configuration the way it was before
    I started and it still won't boot the Linux ...

    Can someone (hopefully someone familiar with the afore mentioned thread)
    please explain what I did wrong or might now do ?

    Paul

  2. Re: Sill need help rearranging disks ..

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:12:20 -0500, pauljdudley@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Ok. So I got feedback. It was explained to edit fstab and make the changes
    >to reflect the new set up. Then I switched my Linux disk with my CD writer
    >making Linux hdc and the CD-W hdd. Then I disconnected the old Linux
    >disk ( was hdb) and then edited lilo.conf and changed hdd1 to hdc1. Then
    >I ran lilo. Lilo did complain about it ( forgot what it said ) but I went on
    >anyway. I then rebooted . At some point the boot process stopped and
    >the following appeared:
    >kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on 16:01 ............

    Well, what do you expect if you ignore lilo errors? No way it's
    going to boot without due care being taken.

    >Oh boy.. So I rearranged the hardware configuration the way it was before
    >I started and it still won't boot the Linux ...
    >
    > Can someone (hopefully someone familiar with the afore mentioned thread)
    > please explain what I did wrong or might now do ?

    Assuming you have slackware installed to /dev/hdc1 (adjust for your
    setup)...

    You need to boot the slackware install disk, make a new directory and
    mount slackware partition:

    mkdir new
    mount /dev/hda1 /new

    Edit the lilo.conf file

    vi /new/etc/lilo.conf

    See man lilo.conf for instructions, as well as the slackware documentation.

    Edit the /new/etc/fstab and make sure the '/' partition is correctly
    identified.

    Run lilo:

    lilo -v -r /new

    Pay attention to any lilo errors and resolve them before booting.

    It's not clear to me how you are selecting to boot windows or linux,
    are you doing this in the BIOS, another boot manager or from within
    windows?

    Do you want to do it from lilo? See:
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/test/boxen/toshi/
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/lilo/toshi/
    for an example of multi-boot windows and slackware.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: Sill need help rearranging disks ..

    On 2008-02-02, pauljdudley@earthlink.net wrote:
    > Help.. A few days ago I wrote in about rearranging my disks as follows:
    >
    >> Hello,

    >> I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently
    >>I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd
    >> which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. hdc is
    >> my CD writer.

    >> I tried removing the older small disk - hdb - and put the larger
    >> disk in it's place. But then when I tried to reboot I got a whole
    >> mess of Lx's ( I forget what x was, 9 or 90 comes to mind ).

    >> Would someone kindly explain how to rearrange things so that hda
    >> remains win2k, hdb my large Slack and hdc stays CD writer. I intend
    >> to remove the small Slack disk. What files do I need to modify and
    >> how. I do remember editing fstab but I still got the Lx's stated
    >> above.

    >> It is my intent to start doing backups on my PC but I want the
    >> disk arrangement taken care of first.

    > Ok. So I got feedback. It was explained to edit fstab and make the changes
    > to reflect the new set up. Then I switched my Linux disk with my CD writer
    > making Linux hdc and the CD-W hdd. Then I disconnected the old Linux
    > disk ( was hdb) and then edited lilo.conf and changed hdd1 to hdc1. Then
    > I ran lilo. Lilo did complain about it ( forgot what it said )

    You can't just "forgot what is said" !!

    In fact, you have to make sure you capture those error messages and understand
    exactly what they mean, which probably means posting them here.

    Along with the lilo.conf that produced them.

    And your /etc/fstab.

    You can always run the script utility (man script) when you want a record
    kept of what appeared on the screen when you were running another application.
    Just enter

    script

    and when the session is over hit Ctrl-d. The file "typescript" will contain
    the record of the session.

    Tom

  4. Re: Sill need help rearranging disks ..

    On Feb 2, 2:12 pm, pauljdud...@earthlink.net wrote:
    > Help.. A few days ago I wrote in about rearranging my disks as follows:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently
    > >I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd
    > > which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. hdc is
    > > my CD writer.
    > > I tried removing the older small disk - hdb - and put the larger
    > > disk in it's place. But then when I tried to reboot I got a whole
    > > mess of Lx's ( I forget what x was, 9 or 90 comes to mind ).
    > > Would someone kindly explain how to rearrange things so that hda
    > > remains win2k, hdb my large Slack and hdc stays CD writer. I intend
    > > to remove the small Slack disk. What files do I need to modify and
    > > how. I do remember editing fstab but I still got the Lx's stated
    > > above.
    > > It is my intent to start doing backups on my PC but I want the
    > > disk arrangement taken care of first.

    > Ok. So I got feedback. It was explained to edit fstab and make the changes
    > to reflect the new set up. Then I switched my Linux disk with my CD writer
    > making Linux hdc and the CD-W hdd. Then I disconnected the old Linux
    > disk ( was hdb) and then edited lilo.conf and changed hdd1 to hdc1. Then
    > I ran lilo. Lilo did complain about it ( forgot what it said ) but I went on
    > anyway. I then rebooted . At some point the boot process stopped and
    > the following appeared:
    > kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on 16:01 ............
    >
    > Oh boy.. So I rearranged the hardware configuration the way it was before
    > I started and it still won't boot the Linux ...
    >
    > Can someone (hopefully someone familiar with the afore mentioned thread)
    > please explain what I did wrong or might now do ?
    >
    > Paul

    The problem is most likely still your /etc/fstab. How are you
    determining where your root partition is? Try booting the install CD
    and run "fdisk -l" and try modifying your fstab accordingly, then run
    lilo. If you only have one Linux partition this should be easy to
    figure out.

    Paul

  5. Re: Sill need help rearranging disks ..

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 09:44:24 +1100, Grant wrote:

    :
    snip
    :
    >Assuming you have slackware installed to /dev/hdc1 (adjust for your
    >setup)...

    Gulp! In my haste I failed to examine the obvious ... It was Setup. Plus
    them darned jumpers ... The CD player was jumped master, the HD
    slave ..

    >It's not clear to me how you are selecting to boot windows or linux,
    >are you doing this in the BIOS, another boot manager or from within
    >windows?

    I have been using Lilo up until I messed up.
    All appears well now, except my CD player ( now hdd ). But I'll
    figure that one. I can't mount it at this time.

    >Do you want to do it from lilo? See:
    > http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/test/boxen/toshi/
    > http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/lilo/toshi/
    >for an example of multi-boot windows and slackware.
    >
    >Grant.

    I will study the above mentioned..

    Thank you Grant for snappin' my head around..

    = Paul =
    ( ... or MrMe )

  6. Re: Sill need help rearranging disks ..

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:58:26 +0000 (UTC), Tom Newton wrote:

    >On 2008-02-02, pauljdudley@earthlink.net wrote:

    :

    snip

    :
    >You can't just "forgot what is said" !!
    >
    >In fact, you have to make sure you capture those error messages and understand
    >exactly what they mean, which probably means posting them here.
    >
    >Along with the lilo.conf that produced them.
    >
    >And your /etc/fstab.

    Thanks for pointing that out Tom, and you are %100 correct. I should have
    at least jotted it down on paper.... I usually do. I was in too much of a hurry,
    things went bad, I saw red and booted hoping that the change to lilo.conf
    would work dispite the error .. Bad judgement...

    >You can always run the script utility (man script) when you want a record
    >kept of what appeared on the screen when you were running another application.
    >Just enter
    >
    >script
    >
    >and when the session is over hit Ctrl-d. The file "typescript" will contain
    >the record of the session.
    >

    >Tom

    Thanks again. I've never known of 'script' or 'typescrip'.

    = Paul =

+ Reply to Thread