able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt - Slackware

This is a discussion on able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt - Slackware ; I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm stuck. I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running. I have a solid broadband ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

  1. able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    stuck.

    I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.

    I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    from my ISP using fetchmail.

    However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.

    Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).

    Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    Thanks and Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City


  2. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:31:54 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    > stuck.
    >
    > I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    > server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.
    >
    > I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    > from my ISP using fetchmail.
    >
    > However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    > messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    >
    > Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    > (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?


    Probably using an incomplete configuration ;-)
    (OK, I know it's not absolutely helpul a remark)

    Could you please first check these simple tests that will
    help us to have an idea about the type of error you have:

    as user:

    $ mail -H

    as root:

    # mail -H
    # sendmail -bp -v -Ac
    # sendmail -bp -v
    # sendmail -bv -f yourlocaluser root
    # sendmail -bv -f yourvaliduser@yourvaliddomain addressee@aoutsidevaliddomain

    post the integral results (for the 'mail -H' an excerpt will be enough
    in case you have zillion bounces :-)

  3. Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-01, Vwaju wrote:
    > I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    > stuck.
    >
    > I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    > server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.
    >
    > I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    > from my ISP using fetchmail.
    >
    > However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    > messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    >
    > Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    > (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?


    Using sendmail. That's a very sophisticated application best left
    to pros and use as a mailserver on a large network.

    Chances are, your ISP won't even _let_ you run a mailserver.

    There are 'sendmail emulations' around that are much easier
    to configure and don't do anything but send mail to a real
    mailserver.

    I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:

    http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757

    That would probably work fine.

    I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    for you and make it available on my ftp server.

    (But google for it first.) You need the libssl package
    for the encrypted authentication required by some mailservers.
    That comes standard with 12.0, I think.

    Tom

    calhobbit AT
    gmail DOT
    com



  4. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    > I use msmtp.



    There's also esmtp:
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/esmtp/

    We have msmtp as well (for 1.4.13, but that's easily configurable):
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/

    -RW

  5. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-01, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    >>
    >> I use msmtp.

    >
    >
    > There's also esmtp:
    > http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/esmtp/
    >
    > We have msmtp as well (for 1.4.13, but that's easily configurable):
    > http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/
    >


    Excellent! msmtp is easy to build from source, too.

    Tom


  6. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Vwaju wrote:
    > I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    > stuck.


    an excellent start :*)


    > I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    > server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.


    good ...


    > I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    > from my ISP using fetchmail.


    good


    > However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    > messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    > Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    > (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).
    > Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
    > Thanks and Best Regards,
    > Vwaju
    > New York City



    This could be any of a couple of different problems ...
    (but, good that you tried several apps...)

    I _suspect_ the problem is entirely with your ISP. Many ISP will
    refuse to accept mail from "suspicious" sources - even from their
    own network. This is particularly true of (US based) cable TV
    companies which see themselves as entertainment providers and not
    as communication providers. example: comcast.net <>

    Many mail servers will refuse to deliver mail from a server running
    on a dynamic ip#, or from a mail server in a netblock where the ISP
    prohibits running a mail server. example: comcast.net <>

    Many mail servers will refuse to deliver mail from a server for
    which the given hostname does not match the reverse DNS of the
    sender's ip#. example: craigslist.com.

    A quick look shows me that your ip# does NOT have a 'good' reverse
    DNS set up. (assuming your SMTP uses the same ip# as your NNTP).
    This is not good.




    Because sendmail says, 'Mail sent', we can assume that sendmail
    was told by the recceiving server, your ISP, that the mail was
    accepted. The receiving server may have tried to send a bounce
    notice for you, but for any of the reasons above, it did not
    reach you.

    A quick test: send me email at the address in the From: above.
    I'll bet two BOZO points i get it :*) My server will talk to
    anyone. Use a Subject: "MAILSERVER TEST" to be sure i don't
    miss it.

    HTH
    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  7. RE: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    wjh@prv8.net wrote:
    >On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Vwaju wrote:
    >> I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    >> stuck.

    >
    >an excellent start :*)
    >
    >
    >> I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    >> server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.

    >
    >good ...
    >
    >
    >> I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    >> from my ISP using fetchmail.

    >
    >good
    >
    >
    >> However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    >> messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    >> Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    >> (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).
    >> Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
    >> Thanks and Best Regards,
    >> Vwaju
    >> New York City

    >
    >
    >This could be any of a couple of different problems ...
    >(but, good that you tried several apps...)
    >
    >I _suspect_ the problem is entirely with your ISP. Many ISP will
    >refuse to accept mail from "suspicious" sources - even from their
    >own network. This is particularly true of (US based) cable TV
    >companies which see themselves as entertainment providers and not
    >as communication providers. example: comcast.net <>
    >
    >Many mail servers will refuse to deliver mail from a server running
    >on a dynamic ip#, or from a mail server in a netblock where the ISP
    >prohibits running a mail server. example: comcast.net <>
    >
    >Many mail servers will refuse to deliver mail from a server for
    >which the given hostname does not match the reverse DNS of the
    >sender's ip#. example: craigslist.com.
    >
    >A quick look shows me that your ip# does NOT have a 'good' reverse
    >DNS set up. (assuming your SMTP uses the same ip# as your NNTP).
    >This is not good.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >Because sendmail says, 'Mail sent', we can assume that sendmail
    >was told by the recceiving server, your ISP, that the mail was
    >accepted. The receiving server may have tried to send a bounce
    >notice for you, but for any of the reasons above, it did not
    >reach you.
    >
    >A quick test: send me email at the address in the From: above.
    >I'll bet two BOZO points i get it :*) My server will talk to
    >anyone. Use a Subject: "MAILSERVER TEST" to be sure i don't
    >miss it.
    >
    >HTH
    >--
    >William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA


    If the poroblem is the reverse DNS and if all his outbound mail is going to just one relay
    and thats where its bouncing,
    then NO mail will go out.
    Thats what happens if for example you use AOL fot your ISP and try to sned mail via mutt, nail Outlook Express etc
    If you use AOLs mail it works
    I found that out cause I tried somethinmg "cute" with cygwin.

    Good Luck

    --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Will Renkel
    Wheaton, Ill.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

  8. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    On 2008-02-01, Vwaju wrote:

    > However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    > messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    >
    > Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    > (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).


    It is likely because your machine doesn't have a valid name. I
    configure sendmail using the advice from Sendmail-Address-Rewrite
    in /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs (or mini-HOWTOs, depending on the Slackware
    release you're using) to make my outgoing mail have the user and
    name my ISP assigned me.

    Bud

  9. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm,nail, and mutt)



    Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-02-01, Vwaju wrote:
    > > I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    > > stuck.
    > >
    > > I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    > > server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.
    > >
    > > I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    > > from my ISP using fetchmail.
    > >
    > > However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    > > messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    > >
    > > Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    > > (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    >

    Hi, Tom --

    > Using sendmail. That's a very sophisticated application best left
    > to pros and use as a mailserver on a large network.
    >
    > Chances are, your ISP won't even _let_ you run a mailserver.
    >
    > There are 'sendmail emulations' around that are much easier
    > to configure and don't do anything but send mail to a real
    > mailserver.
    >
    > I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:
    >
    > http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757
    >
    > That would probably work fine.
    >
    > I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    > for you and make it available on my ftp server.
    >
    > (But google for it first.) You need the libssl package
    > for the encrypted authentication required by some mailservers.
    > That comes standard with 12.0, I think.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > calhobbit AT
    > gmail DOT
    > com


    I apologize for getting sidetracked on the login question.

    The truth is, I set out this afternoon to run the tests on sendmail
    suggested by Loki (the first person to respond to my request for help)
    and ran into a problem accessing this website (and I could no longer
    make fetchmail work). I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what
    was wrong, but in the end the conditioned cleared when I logged out
    and power-cycled my Dell Dimension 4100.

    Your point is well taken. I will try not to start any more threads
    untill we make some progress on this one. I appreciate your help, and
    the help of the other responders to my problem.

    I will work on this over the next few days and get back to all of you.

    Best Regards,
    Vwaju
    New York City

  10. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    Vwaju wrote:
    >
    > Your point is well taken. I will try not to start any more threads
    > untill we make some progress on this one. I appreciate your help, and


    There is no problem starting different threads before one is finished. It
    is, of course, nice to get a followup on how you ended up fixing something so
    we can all google it up later. But don't worry about starting another thread
    before one is completed. Obviously, googling (groups.google, especially) first
    is the way to go - it is also often the fastest way to get answers.

    Also, watch out for Tom N. He will start off reasonable and maybe even
    helpful, before breaking down into a troll. He is a well known Usenet
    troll who I have seen go by at least 3 different names over the years on
    just this group. You can look up Bruce Burhans, Farley Benn, and
    Alan Connor as past aliases he has used.

    - Kurt



  11. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm,nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:

    [...]

    > I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:
    >
    > http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757
    >
    > That would probably work fine.
    >
    > I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    > for you and make it available on my ftp server.


    Good to see another msmtp user :-) You may be interested to know that
    slackbuilds.org has a nice script for this one as well:

    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/

    Regards,

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  12. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757
    >>
    >> That would probably work fine.
    >>
    >> I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    >> for you and make it available on my ftp server.

    >
    > Good to see another msmtp user :-) You may be interested to know that
    > slackbuilds.org has a nice script for this one as well:
    >
    > http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/
    >


    Hey andrew,

    Great! Yeh, msmtp is a slick little utility.

    Maybe you could you could tell Vwaju (and me) how he would use that slackbuild script?

    A little tutorial...

    Tom


  13. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm,nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757
    >>>
    >>> That would probably work fine.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    >>> for you and make it available on my ftp server.

    >>
    >> Good to see another msmtp user :-) You may be interested to know that
    >> slackbuilds.org has a nice script for this one as well:
    >>
    >> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/
    >>

    > Great! Yeh, msmtp is a slick little utility.
    >
    > Maybe you could you could tell Vwaju (and me) how he would use that
    > slackbuild script?
    >
    > A little tutorial...


    I am not unaware that some who post in this group do so simply for the
    sake of stirring up trouble and I refuse to be drawn into this. As you
    may know already there is an excellent guide to the use of Slackbuilds
    on the site itself:

    http://slackbuilds.org/howto/

    Andrew


    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  14. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    >>> On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>>> I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757
    >>>>
    >>>> That would probably work fine.
    >>>>
    >>>> I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    >>>> for you and make it available on my ftp server.
    >>>
    >>> Good to see another msmtp user :-) You may be interested to know that
    >>> slackbuilds.org has a nice script for this one as well:
    >>>
    >>> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/
    >>>

    >> Great! Yeh, msmtp is a slick little utility.
    >>
    >> Maybe you could you could tell Vwaju (and me) how he would use that
    >> slackbuild script?
    >>
    >> A little tutorial...

    >
    > I am not unaware that some who post in this group do so simply for the
    > sake of stirring up trouble and I refuse to be drawn into this.


    Just killfile them and dump any responses to their posts, like everyone
    else who isn't a stupid punk does.

    With slrn, you just check all posts with Esc-p, and if you get a beep and
    something like this:

    Article not available.

    you dump the post.

    > As you may know already there is an excellent guide to the use
    > of Slackbuilds on the site itself:
    >
    > http://slackbuilds.org/howto/


    No. I didn't know that. If I had, I would have posted it for Vwaju.

    So thanks for the link.

    As for the other crap, that's YOU trying to make trouble. If you continue
    along this vein, I'll just killfile you.

    Don't confuse me with the other ****-for-brains losers who post
    crap I never read here all the time. If I wanted to hurt you, I
    wouldn't start some bitchy word-war on the Usenet, I'd put out
    the $5K it would cost to have you tracked down, and I'd knock on
    your door and stomp your ass.

    I am not some dickless loser on welware who can't do anything
    but sit on his/her fat ass and post **** on the Internet under a
    thousand names.

    The only reason those punks can still operate a computer is
    because that IS all they can do. And defeating them is childishly
    simple.

    Tom


  15. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Tom Newton wrote:

    >
    > On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    >>> On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    >>>> On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> [...]
    >>>>
    >>>>> I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That would probably work fine.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    >>>>> for you and make it available on my ftp server.
    >>>>
    >>>> Good to see another msmtp user :-) You may be interested to know that
    >>>> slackbuilds.org has a nice script for this one as well:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/
    >>>>
    >>> Great! Yeh, msmtp is a slick little utility.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you could you could tell Vwaju (and me) how he would use that
    >>> slackbuild script?
    >>>
    >>> A little tutorial...

    >>
    >> I am not unaware that some who post in this group do so simply for the
    >> sake of stirring up trouble and I refuse to be drawn into this.

    >
    > Just killfile them and dump any responses to their posts, like everyone


    that means he'll killfile you fool.

    > else who isn't a stupid punk does.



    > As for the other crap, that's YOU trying to make trouble. If you continue
    > along this vein, I'll just killfile you.


    strike two your about to lose this news provider as well idiot


    > I am not some dickless loser on welware who can't do anything
    > but sit on his/her fat ass and post **** on the Internet under a
    > thousand names.


    no your a useless gutless keyboard commando IOW your a net kook


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';

  16. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    piss off and stop threating people, do you really think we are scared of
    you? you really think we take any notice of your 13yo antics? then you
    are even more stupider then we all think you are net kook, but if you
    threaten one more person in here I'll personaly (as a network admin)
    speak to your ISP, clearwire, furthermore your name and details will
    go on an international isp blacklist, so behave or be gone and sonny that
    aint a threat, its a ****ing promise!



    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Tom Newton wrote:

    >
    > On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    >>> On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    >>>> On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> [...]
    >>>>
    >>>>> I use msmtp. You can get 1.4.5 here:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=8757
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That would probably work fine.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I'm running 1.4.9 and will be happy to make a package
    >>>>> for you and make it available on my ftp server.
    >>>>
    >>>> Good to see another msmtp user :-) You may be interested to know that
    >>>> slackbuilds.org has a nice script for this one as well:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.0/network/msmtp/
    >>>>
    >>> Great! Yeh, msmtp is a slick little utility.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you could you could tell Vwaju (and me) how he would use that
    >>> slackbuild script?
    >>>
    >>> A little tutorial...

    >>
    >> I am not unaware that some who post in this group do so simply for the
    >> sake of stirring up trouble and I refuse to be drawn into this.

    >
    > Just killfile them and dump any responses to their posts, like everyone
    > else who isn't a stupid punk does.
    >
    > With slrn, you just check all posts with Esc-p, and if you get a beep and
    > something like this:
    >
    > Article not available.
    >
    > you dump the post.
    >
    >> As you may know already there is an excellent guide to the use
    >> of Slackbuilds on the site itself:
    >>
    >> http://slackbuilds.org/howto/

    >
    > No. I didn't know that. If I had, I would have posted it for Vwaju.
    >
    > So thanks for the link.
    >
    > As for the other crap, that's YOU trying to make trouble. If you continue
    > along this vein, I'll just killfile you.
    >
    > Don't confuse me with the other ****-for-brains losers who post
    > crap I never read here all the time. If I wanted to hurt you, I
    > wouldn't start some bitchy word-war on the Usenet, I'd put out
    > the $5K it would cost to have you tracked down, and I'd knock on
    > your door and stomp your ass.
    >
    > I am not some dickless loser on welware who can't do anything
    > but sit on his/her fat ass and post **** on the Internet under a
    > thousand names.
    >
    > The only reason those punks can still operate a computer is
    > because that IS all they can do. And defeating them is childishly
    > simple.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';

  17. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm,nail, and mutt)

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 07:12:08 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    > Don't confuse me with the other ****-for-brains losers who post crap I
    > never read here all the time. If I wanted to hurt you, I wouldn't start
    > some bitchy word-war on the Usenet, I'd put out the $5K it would cost to
    > have you tracked down, and I'd knock on your door and stomp your ass.


    Why so much hate-fueled bile? This is just repulsive.


    Paul

  18. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    ....

    >>>
    >>> Maybe you could you could tell Vwaju (and me) how he would use that
    >>> slackbuild script?
    >>>
    >>> A little tutorial...

    >>
    >> I am not unaware that some who post in this group do so simply for the
    >> sake of stirring up trouble and I refuse to be drawn into this.

    >
    > Just killfile them and dump any responses to their posts, like everyone
    > else who isn't a stupid punk does.
    >
    > With slrn, you just check all posts with Esc-p, and if you get a beep and
    > something like this:
    >
    > Article not available.
    >
    > you dump the post.


    If there's a bunch of new ones on the thread, you keep hitting Esc-p
    right up the subthread, and if you encounter the above error message
    at any point you dump all the posts after it.

    >
    >> As you may know already there is an excellent guide to the use
    >> of Slackbuilds on the site itself:
    >>
    >> http://slackbuilds.org/howto/

    >
    > No. I didn't know that. If I had, I would have posted it for Vwaju.
    >
    > So thanks for the link.
    >
    > As for the other crap, that's YOU trying to make trouble. If you continue
    > along this vein, I'll just killfile you.
    >
    > Don't confuse me with the other ****-for-brains losers who post
    > crap I never read here all the time. If I wanted to hurt you, I
    > wouldn't start some bitchy word-war on the Usenet, I'd put out
    > the $5K it would cost to have you tracked down, and I'd knock on
    > your door and stomp your ass.
    >
    > I am not some dickless loser on welware who can't do anything
    > but sit on his/her fat ass and post **** on the Internet under a
    > thousand names.
    >
    > The only reason those punks can still operate a computer is
    > because that IS all they can do. And defeating them is childishly
    > simple.
    >


    For the record, I have already had 3 of the local trolls tracked
    down. All of them are fat creeps living in welfare projects
    collecting 'checks' (direct deposits from the U.S. Treasury) for
    mental disablilities. They almost never leave their stinking
    'apartments' and don't have any friends and couldn't harm a fly
    if their lives depended on it.

    They all think they are incredibly clever and computer-literate
    and that nobody can track them down.

    That's because they think everyone in the world is limited to
    sitting on their butts in front of a computer like they are.

    But personal investigation firms are not limited to the Internet.
    And there are very few people out there, especially at the sleazy
    ISPs who service these trolls, who will turn down 500 bucks in
    used twenties for a little information.

    They are, of course, as corrupt and dishonest as the people they
    serve.

    Information from workers at the major ISPs costs more, of course.

    So the trolls and their computers are still in one piece because
    they are utterly harmless and utterly pathetic human beings.
    You couldn't make their lives any worse than they are.
    Leaving them as they are is the best punishment possible.

    Tom



  19. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm,nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:

    [...]

    > As for the other crap, that's YOU trying to make trouble. If you continue
    > along this vein, I'll just killfile you.
    >
    > Don't confuse me with the other ****-for-brains losers who post
    > crap I never read here all the time. If I wanted to hurt you, I
    > wouldn't start some bitchy word-war on the Usenet, I'd put out
    > the $5K it would cost to have you tracked down, and I'd knock on
    > your door and stomp your ass.


    Well you would have to pick up a flight to Sydney, Australia and then
    go west into the Blue Mountains. It is a fair trip and don't forget
    that in Australia the word 'ass' is usually taken to mean a donkey :-)

    > I am not some dickless loser on welware who can't do anything
    > but sit on his/her fat ass and post **** on the Internet under a
    > thousand names.


    My name actually /is/ Andrew and I have a high stress job as a
    Registered Nurse in a busy Intensive Care Unit. But I will admit to
    having put on a little weight over the last few years. And, I might
    mention, in spite of your assertion I suspect that you may very well
    be 'dickless'.

    Regards,

    Andrew


    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  20. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> As for the other crap, that's YOU trying to make trouble. If you continue
    >> along this vein, I'll just killfile you.
    >>
    >> Don't confuse me with the other ****-for-brains losers who post
    >> crap I never read here all the time. If I wanted to hurt you, I
    >> wouldn't start some bitchy word-war on the Usenet, I'd put out
    >> the $5K it would cost to have you tracked down, and I'd knock on
    >> your door and stomp your ass.

    >
    > Well you would have to pick up a flight to Sydney, Australia and then
    > go west into the Blue Mountains. It is a fair trip and don't forget
    > that in Australia the word 'ass' is usually taken to mean a donkey :-)


    :-)

    Well. Better hide your donkeys if you are going to mess with me.

    But making it to Australia is not a problem. I have access to a
    plane that would have to stop but once, at Hawaii, for fuel. It's
    very fast.

    >> I am not some dickless loser on welware who can't do anything
    >> but sit on his/her fat ass and post **** on the Internet under a
    >> thousand names.

    >
    > My name actually /is/ Andrew and I have a high stress job as a
    > Registered Nurse in a busy Intensive Care Unit. But I will admit to
    > having put on a little weight over the last few years. And, I might
    > mention, in spite of your assertion I suspect that you may very well
    > be 'dickless'.
    >


    You can suspect anything you want. I don't care. The Usenet is full
    of losers who 'suspect' whatever they think will hurt someone else.

    Now, because you are one of those punk losers who is so stupid
    that he thinks I'm a punk loser like you who is just full of hot
    air and don't mean what I say, you are killfiled.

    Have a life. Somewhere else. That's not an option, it is a direct
    order, and you WILL obey it.

    As for you doing anything that could actually hurt me, I now know
    that you can't.

    After all, you are so stupid that you think that I (or anyone
    else with a functioning mind) believes you are an RN and live in
    Sydney. Australia just because you posted it here.

    As an aside, I've just about finished a script that takes the MIDs
    from my kill-log and uses them to delete any posts that contain them
    from the newsspool I read out of (using slrnpull).

    Tom


    >


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast