able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt - Slackware

This is a discussion on able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt - Slackware ; On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:42:40 +0000, Tom Newton wrote: > And then there's this bad advice to Vwaju which is clearly intended to > hurt me at his expense. How is it intended to hurt you? I never mentioned ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 45 of 45

  1. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:42:40 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    > And then there's this bad advice to Vwaju which is clearly intended to
    > hurt me at his expense.

    How is it intended to hurt you? I never mentioned you or your response
    to the OP, which was deliberate on my part in order to avoid such
    reactions. From sane readers, anyway.

    > Good-bye and good riddance. Bet I have already killfiled a number of
    > your aliases.

    Yeah, and that number is now one, you douchebag. I have no aliases.

    And before you ask, Helmut, I have never been responding to the troll
    (especially since he has kill-filed me) but for what is, I hope, the
    amusement of the rest of the newsgroup. Ordinarily I lurk here, but this
    pompous idiot invites ridicule.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  2. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:37:43 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > loki harfagr wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:31:54 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    >> > stuck.
    >> >
    >> > I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    >> > server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.
    >> >
    >> > I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    >> > from my ISP using fetchmail.
    >> >
    >> > However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    >> > messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    >> >
    >> > Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    >> > (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    >> Probably using an incomplete configuration ;-) (OK, I know it's not
    >> absolutely helpul a remark)
    >>
    >> Could you please first check these simple tests that will help us to
    >> have an idea about the type of error you have:
    >>
    >> as user:
    >>
    >> $ mail -H
    >>
    >> as root:
    >>
    >> # mail -H
    >> # sendmail -bp -v -Ac
    >> # sendmail -bp -v
    >> # sendmail -bv -f yourlocaluser root
    >> # sendmail -bv -f yourvaliduser@yourvaliddomain
    >> addressee@aoutsidevaliddomain
    >>
    >> post the integral results (for the 'mail -H' an excerpt will be enough
    >> in case you have zillion bounces :-)

    > Thank you, Loki, for your advice and your patience.

    Hello Vwaju,

    That's not a problem on Usenet, usually that's the poster
    with a question who has better be patient ;-)

    > It took me a while
    > to do the tests, because I'm still learning everything about the Linux
    > environment. Here is the out put : - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > - - - - - - - - - - - as user:
    >
    > $mail -H
    >>O 1 lou@manhattanhandy Sun Feb 3 22:28 123/3645 test sending from

    > as root:
    >
    > #mail -H
    >>O 1 lou@manhattanhandy Sun Feb 3 22:28 123/3645 test sending from

    This is quite strange, are you using your user root undercover root?!?

    > #sendmail -bp -v -Ac
    > /var/spool/clientmqueue is empty
    > Total requests: 0

    Good, at least your submission queue isn't filled up with a
    classical misconf "looping" error, you passed the first level :-)

    > #sendmail -bp -v
    > /var/spool/mqueue (13 requests)
    > -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -Priority- ---Q-Time--- --------Sender/Recipient--------
    > m14MbjN8001401* 48 4080500+Feb 4 17:37
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    > m0VMFrwc001771 25 20460369+Jan 31 17:16
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    > manhattanhandyman.com.)
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with manhattanhandyman.com.)
    > m0VMIKwc001776 39 20460371+Jan 31 17:18
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    > mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    > m0VMODwc001787 16 20460518+Jan 31 17:24
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    > mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    > m0VM4Jwc001732 28 20490342+Jan 31 17:04
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    > manhattanhandyman.com.)
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with manhattanhandyman.com.)
    >
    > (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    > Total requests: 13
    >
    > #sendmail -bv -f hinman root
    > root... deliverable: mailer local, user root
    >
    > #sendmail -bv -f hinman@obliqueuniverse.org slack@rcn.com
    > slack@rcn.com... deliverable: mailer esmtp, host rcn.com., user
    > slack@rcn.com

    OK, I don't know what are supposed to be hinman@jupiter.manhattanhandyman.com
    and hinman@jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org and hinman@obliqueuniverse.org
    but they all fail to resolve, as such most of the SMTP relays in the
    world will reject them, as are yours:
    553 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address does not resolve

    please try one (or both) of these two tests:

    $ date | sendmail -v -Am -f hinman@manhattanhandyman.com slack@rcn.com

    $ printf "Subject: test, please ignore.\n\ntest, please ignore..." | sendmail -v -Am -f hinman@manhattanhandyman.com slack@rcn.com

    If the domain declaration problem was the only one (could be) that'll
    work and so you'll be certain that you just can read the thread again
    for the other posters comments on your domains ;-)
    Though, while testing from different sending places I had few
    successes and that'd imply either a "blinking" server on rcn.net side
    or simply network filtering, wanted or not.

  3. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:37:43 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
    >
    > > loki harfagr wrote:

    Hi, Loki -

    Before we continue with the tests, I need to get
    conceptual clarification of a few issues.

    When I ran netconfig I named by host "jupiter".

    I named my domain "manhattanhandyman.com", but then I realized
    that since this is a registered domain name that maps to
    my website at lunarpages, that would probably confuse things.

    Therefore, I ran netconfig again and named my domain
    "obliqueuniverse.org". As far as I can tell this is not
    a registered domain name belonging to anyone, so I assume that
    I am free to use it.

    whatis says that sendmail is a "mail transport agent".
    Is that the same thing as an SMTP mail server?
    I know from past experience that my ISP will not allow me
    to use an outgoing SMTP server other than its own (smtp.rcn.com).

    In MS Outlook, to be able to send email you have to specify
    an outgoing mail server (SMTP).

    It seems that to be able to send mail from Linux,
    I have to be able to specify smtp.rcn.com as my
    outgoing mail server and then I need a Mail Transport Agent
    (would this be sendmail or something else?)
    to contact smtp.rcn.com and send it my outgoing mail.

    Am I on the right track?

    Best Regards & Thanks,
    Vwaju
    New York City

> [...]

    > and hinman@jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org and hinman@obliqueuniverse.org
    > but they all fail to resolve, as such most of the SMTP relays in the
    > world will reject them, as are yours:
    > 553 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address does not resolve
    >
    > please try one (or both) of these two tests:
    >
    > $ date | sendmail -v -Am -f hinman@manhattanhandyman.com slack@rcn.com
    >
    > $ printf "Subject: test, please ignore.\n\ntest, please ignore..." | sendmail -v -Am -f hinman@manhattanhandyman.com slack@rcn.com
    >
    > If the domain declaration problem was the only one (could be) that'll
    > work and so you'll be certain that you just can read the thread again
    > for the other posters comments on your domains ;-)
    > Though, while testing from different sending places I had few
    > successes and that'd imply either a "blinking" server on rcn.net side
    > or simply network filtering, wanted or not.

  4. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    On 2008-02-06, Vwaju wrote:

    > loki harfagr wrote:

    > Hi, Loki -
    >
    > Before we continue with the tests, I need to get
    > conceptual clarification of a few issues.
    >
    > When I ran netconfig I named by host "jupiter".
    >
    > I named my domain "manhattanhandyman.com", but then I realized
    > that since this is a registered domain name that maps to
    > my website at lunarpages, that would probably confuse things.
    >
    > Therefore, I ran netconfig again and named my domain
    > "obliqueuniverse.org". As far as I can tell this is not
    > a registered domain name belonging to anyone, so I assume that
    > I am free to use it.

    Once again: It doesn't matter. That is not your domain name except
    for internal usage.

    > whatis says that sendmail is a "mail transport agent".
    > Is that the same thing as an SMTP mail server?

    Yes.

    > I know from past experience that my ISP will not allow me
    > to use an outgoing SMTP server other than its own (smtp.rcn.com).

    It's usually that way. But what they really mean is that port 25
    is blocked. You can run a mail server using a different port, as
    far as I know.

    > In MS Outlook, to be able to send email you have to specify
    > an outgoing mail server (SMTP).

    That would be your ISP's server.

    > It seems that to be able to send mail from Linux,
    > I have to be able to specify smtp.rcn.com as my
    > outgoing mail server and then I need a Mail Transport Agent
    > (would this be sendmail or something else?)

    Could be sendmail or exim or msmtp or esmtp or ssmtp or a
    shell script. Once again: using a real mail server like exim
    or sendmail is foolishness, unless you have hundreds or thousands
    or tens of thousands of users.

    It just has to deliver mail to your ISP's mail server.

    > to contact smtp.rcn.com and send it my outgoing mail.
    >
    > Am I on the right track?

    Yes.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit (at)
    gmail [DOT] com

  5. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:09:52 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > loki harfagr wrote:

    > Hi, Loki -
    >
    > Before we continue with the tests, I need to get conceptual
    > clarification of a few issues.
    >
    > When I ran netconfig I named by host "jupiter".

    OK, no problem with that (apart the "Europa secret affair" ;-)

    > I named my domain "manhattanhandyman.com", but then I realized that
    > since this is a registered domain name that maps to my website at
    > lunarpages, that would probably confuse things.

    Not things, minds ;-)

    > Therefore, I ran netconfig again and named my domain
    > "obliqueuniverse.org". As far as I can tell this is not a registered
    > domain name belonging to anyone, so I assume that I am free to use it.

    Not in every meaning of "free", but that'll won't hurt you
    much if you're just wanting to setup mail in/out for just
    your desktop (possibly your LAN) instead of an MX/MTA service
    as I mistakenly thought at first :-)

    > whatis says that sendmail is a "mail transport agent". Is that the same
    > thing as an SMTP mail server?

    You can say that again.

    > I know from past experience that my ISP
    > will not allow me to use an outgoing SMTP server other than its own
    > (smtp.rcn.com).

    OK, that's very normal behaviour for an ISP, at least since the spam
    wars started.

    OK, all you probably need now is to:
    --------
    su root
    cd /etc/mail
    printf ".\trelay:smtp.rcn.com" > mailertable
    make
    --------

    then test again and it should be alright.

    > In MS Outlook, to be able to send email you have to specify an outgoing
    > mail server (SMTP).

    Yes, and you can also do it this way too with your mail client if
    you prefer.

    > It seems that to be able to send mail from Linux, I have to be able to
    > specify smtp.rcn.com as my outgoing mail server and then I need a Mail
    > Transport Agent (would this be sendmail or something else?) to contact
    > smtp.rcn.com and send it my outgoing mail.

    Yes and no :-)

    You could:
    continue to setup your sendmail by using the 3 or 4 little lines
    upward in this post then use your localhost as the SMTP server in
    every mail client you want, that the usual way in Unix and its kin
    because that implies one admin to do the job once and then every new user
    will have the mail setup without a flick of the wrist.

    But you can go the desktop way:
    leave your sendmail alone and configure your mail client as
    your ISP describes it for standard final user.

    > Am I on the right track?

    Somehow YES !-)

    The worst part in you at the moment is only this "partial top-posting"
    problem you seem to have developed... I'd agree that as you're using
    GeugleGreups you're not doing too bad ;-)

    ....(snipped rest of quote)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3