    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  2. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm,nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:

    [...]

    > As an aside, I've just about finished a script that takes the MIDs
    > from my kill-log and uses them to delete any posts that contain them
    > from the newsspool I read out of (using slrnpull).

    Hmmm... but this means that slrnpull still has to download the
    messages from the server /before/ you filter the MID from your end
    which is not very efficient.

    My MID is easy for slrn to filter without any fancy scripts. Can I
    suggest:
    [*]
    Score: =-9999

    which will of course mean that my posts in /all/ groups will be hidden
    from you. If you were using Leafnode 2 as I do and a news server that
    supported XOVER you could add the following to your
    /etc/leafnode/filters file:

    newsgroups = .*
    pattern = ^Message-ID:.ilium\.andrews\-corner\.org
    action = kill

    although I have not tested this syntax. This would mean that my posts
    would not even be downloaded to your computer at all :-) Are there any
    leafnode experts here who can confirm this syntax is correct?

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  3. Re: [OT] Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email withelm, nail, and mutt)

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:27:06 +1100, andrew wrote:

    > Well you would have to pick up a flight to Sydney, Australia and then go
    > west into the Blue Mountains. It is a fair trip and don't forget that in
    > Australia the word 'ass' is usually taken to mean a donkey :-)

    Hey Andrew,

    I live in Sydney. Maybe we could get together and meet Tom at the airport
    when he arrives in his private jet. But then, I don't think they allow
    people under the age of 18 to fly in this country.

    Best

    Paul

  4. Re: [OT] Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email withelm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, Mr Paul wrote:
    > Hey Andrew,
    >
    > I live in Sydney. Maybe we could get together and meet Tom at the airport
    > when he arrives in his private jet. But then, I don't think they allow
    > people under the age of 18 to fly in this country.

    Mind you if he is /very/ young we could always do as Paul Hogan
    suggested and 'throw another shrimp on the barbie' :-)

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  5. Re: [OT] Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email withelm, nail, and mutt)

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:04:43 +1100, andrew wrote:

    > On 2008-02-04, Mr Paul wrote:
    >> Hey Andrew,
    >>
    >> I live in Sydney. Maybe we could get together and meet Tom at the
    >> airport when he arrives in his private jet. But then, I don't think
    >> they allow people under the age of 18 to fly in this country.

    > Mind you if he is /very/ young we could always do as Paul Hogan
    > suggested and 'throw another shrimp on the barbie' :-)

    This just proves that the roaches are barbarians.

    Richard James

  6. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    hahahahhahhahhahahhahhha'

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  7. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:

    > For the record, I have already had 3 of the local trolls tracked
    > down. All of them are fat creeps living in welfare projects
    > collecting 'checks' (direct deposits from the U.S. Treasury) for
    > mental disablilities. They almost never leave their stinking
    > 'apartments' and don't have any friends and couldn't harm a fly
    > if their lives depended on it.
    >
    > They all think they are incredibly clever and computer-literate
    > and that nobody can track them down.
    >
    > That's because they think everyone in the world is limited to
    > sitting on their butts in front of a computer like they are.
    >
    > But personal investigation firms are not limited to the Internet.
    > And there are very few people out there, especially at the sleazy
    > ISPs who service these trolls, who will turn down 500 bucks in
    > used twenties for a little information.
    >
    > They are, of course, as corrupt and dishonest as the people they
    > serve.
    >
    > Information from workers at the major ISPs costs more, of course.
    >
    > So the trolls and their computers are still in one piece because
    > they are utterly harmless and utterly pathetic human beings.
    > You couldn't make their lives any worse than they are.
    > Leaving them as they are is the best punishment possible.

    I took some liberties above. The nature of their disabilities was
    not discovered. The report says that such information is sealed
    in court records and difficult (expensive) to acquire.

    But interviews with their neighbors revealed that they have no
    obvious physical disabilities.

    (If they knew how much their neighbors knew and talked about
    them, they would be freaked out. But they still wouldn't do
    anything about it. Because that would involve something other
    than running their mouths while they are, they think, hidden
    behind the Internet.)

    And there's their behavior on the Usenet, which is
    certainly quite insane. _They_ don't realize this, but
    insane people never do...

    And there's nothing about how their domiciles smell.

    Poetic license.

    :-)

    And probably true.

    Tom

  8. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 07:12:08 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    > I am not some dickless loser on welware who can't do anything
    > but sit on his/her fat ass and post **** on the Internet under a
    > thousand names.

    Yes, you are, Alan. Have you forgotten this photo from the family album:

    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/image001.jpg

    Or this one:
    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/image010.jpg

    Finally:
    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/hot-cup.jpg

    --
    "Tom N" ("Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  9. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 07:12:08 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    Abuse report filed to "Tom's" latest posting provider, motzarella.org.

    I encourage others to do the same. Perhaps he can be banned from yet
    another Usenet provider.

  10. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:04:06 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > I apologize for getting sidetracked on the login question.
    > Your point is well taken. I will try not to start any more threads untill
    > we make some progress on this one. I appreciate your help, and the help
    > of the other responders to my problem.

    There's no need to apologize for starting a new thread on a different
    topic, Vwaju. You did things in a proper manner.
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  11. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, Chick Tower wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:04:06 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
    >
    >> I apologize for getting sidetracked on the login question.
    >> Your point is well taken. I will try not to start any more threads untill
    >> we make some progress on this one. I appreciate your help, and the help
    >> of the other responders to my problem.

    > There's no need to apologize for starting a new thread on a different
    > topic, Vwaju. You did things in a proper manner.

    No he didn't. He asked for help on another thread and got lots of it and didn't
    even respond on that thread to acknowledge the help he received,

    Nor is he going to get anywhere if he doesn't follow through with one aspect of
    configuring his system before moving on to another.

    I just checked out your posting history for the last two months
    at google. Only 18 posts on widely divergent groups, and a good
    percentage of them are replies to trolls. And you are obviously a
    Usenet pro.

    And then there's this bad advice to Vwaju which is clearly intended to
    hurt me at his expense.

    I think you are a troll and you are killfiled. That means I won't be
    downloading your posts (under this name) and that replies to them will
    be removed from the local newsspool I read from before I open the spool
    in slrn.

    Good-bye and good riddance. Bet I have already killfiled a number of your
    aliases.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit AT
    gmail DOT com

  12. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    Mr Paul wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 07:12:08 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    >> Don't confuse me with the other ****-for-brains losers who post crap I
    >> never read here all the time. If I wanted to hurt you, I wouldn't start
    >> some bitchy word-war on the Usenet, I'd put out the $5K it would cost to
    >> have you tracked down, and I'd knock on your door and stomp your ass.

    > Why so much hate-fueled bile? This is just repulsive.

    Look up Message-ID: from this
    thread. He claims to describe others who post on this group, while actually
    giving a description of himself: "fat creeps living in welfare projects
    collecting 'checks' (direct deposits from the U.S. Treasury) for mental
    disablilities. They almost never leave their stinking 'apartments' and don't
    have any friends and couldn't harm a fly if their lives depended on it."

    I seem to recall he actually used a similar description for himself
    years ago when explaining the reasons for his actions on Usenet.
    This is really all he has got. He is probably more pathetic than rm.

    - Kurt

  13. Re: Top Gun (was: Msmtp)

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:04:18 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    > But making it to Australia is not a problem. I have access to a plane that
    > would have to stop but once, at Hawaii, for fuel. It's very fast.

    Uh-huh. It also has missiles and two 20mm cannons, and "US Navy"
    stenciled on the fuselage. Your radar-intercept officer's nickname is
    Goose. You look great in aviator-style sunglasses, and you always get
    the girl.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  14. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On 2008-02-04, Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-02-04, Chick Tower wrote:

    Score -9999 killed article
    Score -9999: /var/spool/slrnpull2/score:13
    Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.slackware
    From: Chick Tower
    Subject: Re: Top Gun (was: Msmtp)

    Thanks for letting me and the world know that I was right about you.

    That's sort of juvenile behavior proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that
    you are a troll.

    If you weren't, you would just have ignrored my post and killfiled me.

    Tom

  15. Re: Top Gun (was: Msmtp)

    is he coming out here is he? i missed that post, i ignore most of his
    drivel, if he comes out i hope he lets me know because ill gladly meet the
    ****er and show him that he cant treat people the way he does without
    serious consequences.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  16. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > If you weren't, you would just have ignrored my post...

    I doubt if many are ignoring your posts, the level of ineptitude coupled
    with incoherent rage is rather amusing, annoying, but somehow amusing.

    The high rate of response to your posts must be gratifying to one such
    as yourself, in addition to bringing mild amusement to those
    responding. You seem to have failed to realise that most of this group
    is laughing at you.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  17. Re: Msmtp

    Hallo, Two,

    Du meintest am 05.02.08:

    > Tom Newton wrote:

    [nonsense]

    >> If you weren't, you would just have ignrored my post...

    > I doubt if many are ignoring your posts, the level of ineptitude
    > coupled with incoherent rage is rather amusing, annoying, but somehow
    > amusing.

    Welcome to my filter - you feed this troll on and on.

    I'm interested in slackware. Not in trolls and troll feeders.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  18. Re: Msmtp (was: Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt)

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Tom Newton wrote:
    >
    >> If you weren't, you would just have ignrored my post...

    > I doubt if many are ignoring your posts, the level of ineptitude coupled
    > with incoherent rage is rather amusing, annoying, but somehow amusing.
    >
    > The high rate of response to your posts must be gratifying to one such
    > as yourself, in addition to bringing mild amusement to those
    > responding. You seem to have failed to realise that most of this group
    > is laughing at you.

    most? ... MOST? ... OK who is not laughing at him put your hand up

    "...hit the squirrel..."
    nooooooooooooooooo well so long as its not the squirrel I fly :P

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  19. Re: Top Gun (was: Msmtp)

    Chick Tower :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHklGtW3rwU

    --
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.

    www.websterscafe.com

  20. Re: able to retrieve but not send email with elm, nail, and mutt

    loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:31:54 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
    >
    > > I have studied Slackware Linux Essentials and Running Linux, and I'm
    > > stuck.
    > >
    > > I have my 9.1 Slackware installation configured to start the sendmail
    > > server at boot and ps -acux shows that send mail is running.
    > >
    > > I have a solid broadband internet connection, and I can retrieve mail
    > > from my ISP using fetchmail.
    > >
    > > However, I can't send seem to SEND any email. I've tried sending
    > > messages in nail, elm and mutt without success.
    > >
    > > Both elm and mutt say "Mail sent!", but it doesn't get to my ISP
    > > (because I can't retrieve it with fetchmail).
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

    > Probably using an incomplete configuration ;-)
    > (OK, I know it's not absolutely helpul a remark)
    >
    > Could you please first check these simple tests that will
    > help us to have an idea about the type of error you have:
    >
    > as user:
    >
    > $ mail -H
    >
    > as root:
    >
    > # mail -H
    > # sendmail -bp -v -Ac
    > # sendmail -bp -v
    > # sendmail -bv -f yourlocaluser root
    > # sendmail -bv -f yourvaliduser@yourvaliddomain addressee@aoutsidevaliddomain
    >
    > post the integral results (for the 'mail -H' an excerpt will be enough
    > in case you have zillion bounces :-)

    Thank you, Loki, for your advice and your patience. It took me a
    while to do the tests, because I'm still learning everything about the
    Linux environment. Here is the out put :
    as user:

    $mail -H
    >O 1 lou@manhattanhandy Sun Feb 3 22:28 123/3645 test sending from 8500 6:

    U 2 lou@manhattanhandy Mon Feb 4 06:53 129/3803 test message from
    8500 Mo
    U 3 lou@manhattanhandy Mon Feb 4 10:26 130/3950 TEST MESSAGE FROM
    8500 MO
    O 4 MAILER-DAEMON@jupi Mon Feb 4 21:55 72/2686 Warning: could
    not send m

    as root:

    #mail -H
    >O 1 lou@manhattanhandy Sun Feb 3 22:28 123/3645 test sending from 8500 6:

    U 2 lou@manhattanhandy Mon Feb 4 06:53 129/3803 test message from
    8500 Mo
    U 3 lou@manhattanhandy Mon Feb 4 10:26 130/3950 TEST MESSAGE FROM
    8500 MO
    O 4 MAILER-DAEMON@jupi Mon Feb 4 21:55 72/2686 Warning: could
    not send m

    #sendmail -bp -v -Ac
    /var/spool/clientmqueue is empty
    Total requests: 0

    #sendmail -bp -v
    /var/spool/mqueue (13 requests)
    -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -Priority- ---Q-Time--- --------Sender/
    Recipient--------
    m14MbjN8001401* 48 4080500+Feb 4 17:37

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m11DW0wc002606 15 17130517+Feb 1 08:32

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m11D8Hwc002573 47 17220548+Feb 1 08:08

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m11DAMwc002585 47 17220549+Feb 1 08:10

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m11D9Wwc002580 49 17220553+Feb 1 08:09

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m11Cqowc002509 35 17310476+Feb 1 07:53

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m11CKcwc002462 30 17400548+Feb 1 07:20

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m112jTwc002063 25 19470509+Jan 31 21:45

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m0VMpgwc001864 1869 20372503+Jan 31 17:51

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    manhattanhandyman.com.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with manhattanhandyman.com.)
    m0VMFrwc001771 25 20460369+Jan 31 17:16

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    manhattanhandyman.com.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with manhattanhandyman.com.)
    m0VMIKwc001776 39 20460371+Jan 31 17:18

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m0VMODwc001787 16 20460518+Jan 31 17:24

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    m0VM4Jwc001732 28 20490342+Jan 31 17:04

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with
    manhattanhandyman.com.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with manhattanhandyman.com.)

    (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx.lnh.mail.rcn.net.)
    Total requests: 13

    #sendmail -bv -f hinman root
    root... deliverable: mailer local, user root

    #sendmail -bv -f hinman@obliqueuniverse.org slack@rcn.com
    slack@rcn.com... deliverable: mailer esmtp, host rcn.com., user
    slack@rcn.com

+ Reply to Thread