[OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm - Slackware

This is a discussion on [OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm - Slackware ; For all the *vi* fans, here's a file manager that uses vi keybindings and is very quick. I built it from source. Only problem I had was that the first time I ran the configure script it failed because it ...

  1. [OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm

    For all the *vi* fans, here's a file manager that uses vi
    keybindings and is very quick.

    I built it from source. Only problem I had was that the first
    time I ran the configure script it failed because it was
    expecting to find one or more files in /usr/share/automake-1.7/
    and 12.0 uses 1.9. So I just did cp -a .../1.7 to .../1.9 and all
    went well.

    It has very few dependencies:

    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7ee0000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7d9e000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7d9a000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f2a000)

    After stripping the executable it's only 112K.

    http://vifm.sourceforge.net/

    Got great reviews on several sites I scanned while googling for a
    better file manager. Pretty new app. Nice looking in an 'xterm'.

    Has special stuff for vim users.

    Tom

  2. Re: [OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm

    On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:

    > I just did cp -a .../1.7 to .../1.9 and all

    Oops. That's backwards.

    Tom

  3. Re: [OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:21:12 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    >> I just did cp -a .../1.7 to .../1.9 and all

    > Oops. That's backwards.

    Story of your life, eh Alan (Connor)?

    --
    "Tom N" ("Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  4. Re: [OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm

    On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:

    > After stripping the executable it's only 112K.
    >
    > http://vifm.sourceforge.net/

    Yea, but what about the all important resources. It's much smaller than mc,
    but less flexible, fewer options yet uses only 25% fewer resources than mc.

    Where's the advantage.

    ken

  5. Re: [OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm -update

    On 2008-02-01, Tom Newton wrote:
    > For all the *vi* fans, here's a file manager that uses vi
    > keybindings and is very quick.
    >
    > I built it from source. Only problem I had was that the first
    > time I ran the configure script it failed because it was
    > expecting to find one or more files in /usr/share/automake-1.7/
    > and 12.0 uses 1.9.

    > So I just did cp -a .../1.7 to .../1.9 and all went well.

    That's backwards ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > It has very few dependencies:
    >
    > linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    > libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7ee0000)
    > libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7d9e000)
    > libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7d9a000)
    > /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f2a000)
    >
    > After stripping the executable it's only 112K.
    >
    > http://vifm.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Got great reviews on several sites I scanned while googling for a
    > better file manager. Pretty new app. Nice looking in an 'xterm'.
    >
    > Has special stuff for vim users.

    Been talking to the developer, Ken. He's porting it to Windows XP (I didn't
    tell him I thought that sucked) right now and is going to try to add midnight
    commander's "quickview" feature (display file contents in the opposite window automatically).

    Sent him the link to mc's sourcecode.

    The more I play with vifm, the more I like it. It's a file manager/browser, not
    a would-be desktop environment that takes a college course to master, like mc.

    (I believe that mc was what gnome grew out of, which doesn't surprise me at all.)

    He'll have a slack package for the next release, with my help. Or preferably, with
    the help of someone here who can do the slackbuild script thing...

    Tom

    --
    If artificial eyes are for people who have lost their eyes.
    And artificial limbs are for people who have lost their limbs.

  6. Re: [OT] VI File Manager -- Vifm -update

    Tom Newton wrote:

    > He'll have a slack package for the next release, with my help. Or
    > preferably, with the help of someone here who can do the slackbuild
    > script thing...

    The above presumably meaning you'd like some of the credit but haven't
    the knowledge or experience to assist in creating a "slack package"
    or "slackbuild script thing".
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."