OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console? - Slackware

This is a discussion on OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console? - Slackware ; Hi again: I have left some small files on an Ubuntu box that I can connect to with my Slackware laptop. How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop using only ssh? ...

  1. OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console?

    Hi again:

    I have left some small files on an Ubuntu box that I can connect to with my
    Slackware laptop.

    How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop
    using only ssh?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console?

    CD Baric wrote :

    > How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop
    > using only ssh?

    From the command line you can use 'scp'.

    From KDE it can be done using Konqueror.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console?

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:20:20 +0000, CD Baric wrote:

    > I have left some small files on an Ubuntu box that I can connect to with my
    > Slackware laptop.
    >
    > How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop
    > using only ssh?

    man scp

  4. Re: OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console?

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:20:20 +0000, CD Baric wrote:

    > Hi again:
    >
    > I have left some small files on an Ubuntu box that I can connect to with my
    > Slackware laptop.
    >
    > How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop
    > using only ssh?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As others have said you can use sftp or scp, but if you
    prefer to use just ssh this works.

    ssh username@youbox cat filename > filename

    hint: use tar to copy directories.

    stonerfish

  5. Re: OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console?

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > CD Baric wrote :
    >> How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop
    >> using only ssh?

    > From the command line you can use 'scp'.

    That worked perfectly.

    Thanks

  6. Re: OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console?

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:20:20 +0000, CD Baric wrote:
    >> How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop
    >> using only ssh?

    > man scp

    scp file 192.168.1.11:/home/blazar/file

    Just enter the password and all is well!

    My problem is if I don't use it, I lose it.

    Thanks

  7. Re: OT: How to cp/mv files over ssh console?

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:20:20 +0000, CD Baric wrote:
    >> How can I copy or move a file from the Ubuntu box to my Slackware laptop
    >> using only ssh?

    > As others have said you can use sftp or scp, but if you
    > prefer to use just ssh this works.

    > ssh username@youbox cat filename > filename

    > hint: use tar to copy directories.

    Thanks stonerfish, that is very cool.