A very, very,small slackware router - Slackware

This is a discussion on A very, very,small slackware router - Slackware ; I managed to get a router working at home on an old asus tx97 with 64 Mb ram, no monitor or keyboard. I just boot it and it links me up with my wireless, and routes and firewalls for me. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. A very, very,small slackware router

    I managed to get a router working at home on an old asus tx97 with 64
    Mb ram, no monitor or keyboard. I just boot it and it links me up with
    my wireless, and routes and firewalls for me. Using a SLAX Frodo
    Edition v 5.1.8, and a few scripts added as modules.

    The trouble is it uses 60 Mb ram (only 4 free) and takes maybe 3
    minutes to boot. It freezes after a time, probably out of space for
    log files.

    I deleted a lot of stuff, and got it down to 54 Mb in ram, does not
    freeze anymore, but even so, ages to boot.

    So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    Something like coyote, or brazilfw, which have tons of features and
    fit in only a fraction of the ram ? (but do NOT support wireless, the
    drivers are all outdated and broken, and the development packages are
    absolute tripe, impossible to use )

    Any ideas ?

  2. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    Shadow wrote:
    > So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    > to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    > modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    What you really is asking is this:

    "Would it be possible to create my own custom live CD distribution
    starting with Slackware?"

    The answer is yes. With a little work you can create your own Linux
    distribution and Slackware is a good start for creating new distributions.

    > Something like coyote, or brazilfw,

    If it is worth the time to create your own distribution or if you would be
    better off spending that time searching other distributions like freesco,
    floppyfw or something else is up to you. Creating your own live CD is a
    good learning experience and would be fun. If you want to save yourself
    some time and use another distribution http://distrowatch.com/ is a good
    place to start.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

  4. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On 2008-01-31, Shadow wrote:
    > I managed to get a router working at home on an old asus tx97 with 64
    > Mb ram, no monitor or keyboard. I just boot it and it links me up with
    > my wireless, and routes and firewalls for me. Using a SLAX Frodo
    > Edition v 5.1.8, and a few scripts added as modules.
    >
    > The trouble is it uses 60 Mb ram (only 4 free) and takes maybe 3
    > minutes to boot. It freezes after a time, probably out of space for
    > log files.
    >
    > I deleted a lot of stuff, and got it down to 54 Mb in ram, does not
    > freeze anymore, but even so, ages to boot.
    >
    > So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    > to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    > modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?
    >
    > Something like coyote, or brazilfw, which have tons of features and
    > fit in only a fraction of the ram ? (but do NOT support wireless, the
    > drivers are all outdated and broken, and the development packages are
    > absolute tripe, impossible to use )
    >
    > Any ideas ?

    I'm running 12.0 here, with X up, a window manager with 9 full
    screen windows. Firefox, slrn and mutt and two invocations of vi,
    one of less, as well as scripts running repetitions in several of
    those windows, and dhcpcd and a packet logger on eth0.

    I'm using 47M of RAM.

    Something is REALLY wrong with your setup. I don't know what, though.

    I'd suggest posting the output of ps aux and taking a look at what's
    going on with lsof.

    Tom

  5. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:45:02 +0100, Henrik Carlqvist
    wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >> So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    >> to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    >> modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    >What you really is asking is this:
    >
    >"Would it be possible to create my own custom live CD distribution
    >starting with Slackware?"
    >
    >The answer is yes. With a little work you can create your own Linux
    >distribution and Slackware is a good start for creating new distributions.
    >
    >> Something like coyote, or brazilfw,

    >If it is worth the time to create your own distribution or if you would be
    >better off spending that time searching other distributions like freesco,
    >floppyfw

    Neither freesco or floppyfw or coyote or brazilfw support my
    wireless drivers (I need the latest ralink rt61 drivers, the old ones
    are no-go.). Any of these would be fantastic if I could compile my own
    drivers, but then I would need to have access to the kernel sources
    and .config file.
    Like I said, brazilfw offers the kernel source for download,
    but there are no docs and I tried for a week to compile the drivers,
    and when I managed they would not load at all, version conflicts. (the
    sources are obviously broken)
    > or something else is up to you. Creating your own live CD is a
    >good learning experience and would be fun. If you want to save yourself
    >some time and use another distribution http://distrowatch.com/ is a good
    >place to start.

    I've gone the linuxfromscratch way, but it would take me ages
    to build a working system.
    I would rather a "bare" system I could just add stuff to.
    Maybe 4-6 hours work involved. If floppyfw has kernel source, it would
    just be a matter of compiling the modules. It has wireless tools, no
    sources that I could find though.

    BTW, I find it amazing that ralink, one of the most
    linux-friendly wireless-chip manufacturers are totally ignored by most
    distribs. Up-to date drivers with the wlan0 interface and monitor mode
    have been available for ages, but everyone insists on using the old,
    and broken ra0 sources ....

    >regards Henrik

    ty

  6. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On 2008-01-31, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > On 2008-01-31, Shadow wrote:
    >> So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    >> to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    >> modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    > Yes, but I don't see what you would gain from that. Simply install
    > Slackware to the hard drive and be done with it. You can setup a swap
    > partition as well to give yourself more virtual RAM.

    To piggyback here a little, you can mount many of the filesystems
    read-only. This won't defeat a real cracker, but might trip up a script
    kiddie, if you're hoping to run a live CD to prevent mangling your
    filesystems (permanently anyway).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Creating your own live CD is a good learning experience and would be
    > fun. If you want to save yourself some time and use another
    > distribution http://distrowatch.com/ is a good place to start.

    Frozentech is probably easier if all you're looking for is Live CD
    Distributions. http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  8. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:15:21 -0200, Shadow wrote:

    > I managed to get a router working at home on an old asus tx97 with 64
    > Mb ram, no monitor or keyboard. I just boot it and it links me up with
    > my wireless, and routes and firewalls for me. Using a SLAX Frodo
    > Edition v 5.1.8, and a few scripts added as modules.
    >
    > The trouble is it uses 60 Mb ram (only 4 free) and takes maybe 3
    > minutes to boot. It freezes after a time, probably out of space for
    > log files.
    >
    > I deleted a lot of stuff, and got it down to 54 Mb in ram, does not
    > freeze anymore, but even so, ages to boot.
    >
    > So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    > to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    > modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?
    >
    > Something like coyote, or brazilfw, which have tons of features and
    > fit in only a fraction of the ram ? (but do NOT support wireless, the
    > drivers are all outdated and broken, and the development packages are
    > absolute tripe, impossible to use )
    >
    > Any ideas ?

    First choice: Get a better "obsolete" computer, one with at least 128M RAM
    and a P6 class CPU. These are commonly found on EBay, university surplus,
    etc. This probably will have the side effect of quicker boot times. Long
    boot times can be really frustrating.

    Next choice: Setup directly using the packages necessary for your router.
    The Slax live CD is consuming your RAM, perhaps for no good reason. I
    think 64M RAM is enough to run as a router _directly_ with Slack 12. There
    was a thread yesterday on the topic of running within 64M RAM. I think it
    is possible, and as I wrote there, the only trick is probably setting
    it up in the first place.

    This could actually be an interesting exercise for VMWare. It would be
    informative to know for sure that 64M is actually still enough. The
    test would include a 2.6.x modular kernel and the base Slackware 12.0
    packages (out of the box). Let me know if you want me to run the test.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  9. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    Shadow wrote:
    > So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    > to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    > modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    As far as I can see, a live CD takes more time to boot than a `real'
    installation. It is also much less responsive. I second +Alan Hicks+
    that a 2.4 kernel might be a better choice than a 2.6 one. You may want
    to try DSL to check how it works.
    One more thing to try is to recompile the kernel stripping out everything
    it doesn't need. Besides this, "cleaning" scripts in /etc/rc.d by
    commenting all checks that make no sense for your installation, can
    save a few seconds more.

    Just my 2 cents :-)

    Mikhail

  10. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    Shadow wrote:
    > I would rather a "bare" system I could just add stuff to.
    > Maybe 4-6 hours work involved.

    If you find your time valuable you might find it cheaper to buy a hardware
    firewall/router for less than 50 euro. However, bying instead of building
    would spoil all thefun :-)

    I know what can happen when you start building something. A few years ago
    I started a project described at http://poolhem.se/video/ , that project
    has been almost finished for a few years now. Maybe next weekend...

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  11. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:18:52 -0200, Shadow wrote:

    > I would rather a "bare" system I could just add stuff to.

    Take a look at

    http://slackwiki.org/Linux_From_Slack

    which gives minimal package lists.

    > Maybe 4-6 hours work involved. If floppyfw has kernel source, it would
    > just be a matter of compiling the modules. It has wireless tools, no
    > sources that I could find though.

    I doubt that the ra61 driver is working well under 2.4 kernels, is that
    an issue.

    > BTW, I find it amazing that ralink, one of the most
    > linux-friendly wireless-chip manufacturers are totally ignored by most
    > distribs. Up-to date drivers with the wlan0 interface and monitor mode
    > have been available for ages, but everyone insists on using the old, and
    > broken ra0 sources ....

    It's partly because they were very slow getting the drivers out, and
    partly because they went backwards on licensing, starting with GPL
    drivers for the rt2500 and rt2570, then putting closed firmware blobs in
    the rt61 and rt73 drivers.

  12. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:56:46 GMT, +Alan Hicks+
    wrote:

    >On 2008-01-31, Shadow wrote:
    >> So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    >> to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    >> modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    >Yes, but I don't see what you would gain from that. Simply install
    >Slackware to the hard drive and be done with it. You can setup a swap
    >partition as well to give yourself more virtual RAM.

    1) I don't have a spare HD
    2) If I'm hacked its just a matter of pressing the reset
    button. That is what I love about liveCds, I can undo hours and hours
    of crackers efforts with a push of a button

    >I might recommend Slackware 11.0 for this over 12.0, just because of
    >the RAM constraints. The 2.4 kernel will save you an appreciable
    >amount here.

    If I had a HD I'd just make a 128MB swap on it. And the 2.6
    kernel is much more stable/updated when it comes to wireless.
    I had no luck compiling the ralink sources against kernel 2.4
    (brazilfw), under 2.6 there are no errors at all.

  13. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:13:04 +0100, Henrik Carlqvist
    wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >> I would rather a "bare" system I could just add stuff to.
    >> Maybe 4-6 hours work involved.

    >If you find your time valuable you might find it cheaper to buy a hardware
    >firewall/router for less than 50 euro. However, bying instead of building
    >would spoil all thefun :-)
    >
    >I know what can happen when you start building something. A few years ago
    >I started a project described at http://poolhem.se/video/ , that project
    >has been almost finished for a few years now. Maybe next weekend...

    Exactly .....

    >regards Henrik

  14. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:04:06 +0000 (UTC), Tom Newton
    wrote:

    >I'm running 12.0 here, with X up, a window manager with 9 full
    >screen windows. Firefox, slrn and mutt and two invocations of vi,
    >one of less, as well as scripts running repetitions in several of
    >those windows, and dhcpcd and a packet logger on eth0.
    >
    >I'm using 47M of RAM.

    Your operating system and all programs are also mounted in
    that 47 Mb of ram ? If so I am very interested.
    Remember, this is a complete system using ram as a HD, no swap
    at all ....

    >Something is REALLY wrong with your setup. I don't know what, though.

    Um

    >I'd suggest posting the output of ps aux and taking a look at what's
    >going on with lsof.
    >
    >Tom

  15. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 05:56:52 +0300, Mikhail Zotov
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:15:21 -0200
    >Shadow wrote:
    >> So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    >> to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    >> modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    >As far as I can see, a live CD takes more time to boot than a `real'
    >installation. It is also much less responsive. I second +Alan Hicks+
    >that a 2.4 kernel might be a better choice than a 2.6 one. You may want
    >to try DSL to check how it works.
    >One more thing to try is to recompile the kernel stripping out everything
    >it doesn't need. Besides this, "cleaning" scripts in /etc/rc.d by
    >commenting all checks that make no sense for your installation, can
    >save a few seconds more.

    What I did, and is how I got it from 60Mb to 54 Mb big, in
    ram. I can probably cut out some more. But you must agree that to work
    UP is probably more efficient than working DOWN

    >Just my 2 cents :-)

    ty

    >Mikhail

  16. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On 2008-02-01, Shadow wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:04:06 +0000 (UTC), Tom Newton
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I'm running 12.0 here, with X up, a window manager with 9 full
    >>screen windows. Firefox, slrn and mutt and two invocations of vi,
    >>one of less, as well as scripts running repetitions in several of
    >>those windows, and dhcpcd and a packet logger on eth0.
    >>
    >>I'm using 47M of RAM.

    > Your operating system and all programs are also mounted in
    > that 47 Mb of ram ? If so I am very interested.
    > Remember, this is a complete system using ram as a HD, no swap
    > at all ....

    Which, as you have been informed already, is not the way to go about
    doing this.

    Tom

  17. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On 2008-02-01, Shadow wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 05:56:52 +0300, Mikhail Zotov
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:15:21 -0200
    >>Shadow wrote:
    >>> So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    >>> to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    >>> modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    >>As far as I can see, a live CD takes more time to boot than a `real'
    >>installation. It is also much less responsive. I second +Alan Hicks+
    >>that a 2.4 kernel might be a better choice than a 2.6 one. You may want
    >>to try DSL to check how it works.
    >>One more thing to try is to recompile the kernel stripping out everything
    >>it doesn't need. Besides this, "cleaning" scripts in /etc/rc.d by
    >>commenting all checks that make no sense for your installation, can
    >>save a few seconds more.

    > What I did, and is how I got it from 60Mb to 54 Mb big, in
    > ram. I can probably cut out some more. But you must agree that to work
    > UP is probably more efficient than working DOWN

    I read here a while back that there are instructions for installing slaxon the harddrive on their website.

    That would be the thing to do.

    Tom

  18. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    Shadow wrote:
    > So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    > to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    > modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    It now occurs to me that the easiest way to create a live CD from
    Slackware might be to start with the Slackware installation CD. I have
    done some work in customizing the installation CD myself. When I did that
    work I used a Makefile which among other things were able to use a
    customized initrd.

    The complete Makefile looks like this:

    -8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
    PACKAGE_DIRS = $(shell find ../slackware/ \( -type d -o -type l \) \
    -exec basename {} \;| \
    grep -v slackware | grep -v PACKAGES.TXT )
    KERNELS = $(shell find kernels/ \( -type d -o -type l \) \
    -exec basename {} \;| \
    grep -v kernels | sort | xargs echo )

    /huge/henca/tmp/dvd_install.iso: nfs_install.iso isolinux/setpkg.nfs \
    /huge/henca/tmp $(wildcard slackware/*/*)
    cd isolinux && ln -sf setpkg.dvd setpkg && cd ..
    mkisofs -o $@ \
    -R -J -V "SBD Slack120 Install `date +%y%m%d`" \
    -hide-rr-moved -f\
    -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
    -sort isolinux/iso.sort \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    -x initrd_src \
    -A "SBD Slack120 Install DVD" .
    echo $@ created

    /huge/henca/tmp:
    mkdir -p $@

    nfs_install.iso: isolinux/isolinux.cfg \
    isolinux/message.txt \
    isolinux/initrd.img \
    isolinux/setpkg.nfs \
    $(wildcard isolinux/*.img isolinux/*.dsk)
    cd isolinux && ln -sf setpkg.nfs setpkg && cd ..
    mkisofs -o $@ \
    -R -J -V "SBD Slack120 NFS Install `date +%y%m%d`" \
    -hide-rr-moved -f\
    -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
    -sort isolinux/iso.sort \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    -x slackware \
    -x nfs_install.iso \
    -x initrd_src \
    -A "SBD Slack120 NFS Install CD" .

    isolinux/isolinux.cfg: isolinux/isolinux.cfg.start isolinux/message.txt
    cp $@.start $@
    for KERNEL in $(KERNELS); do \
    echo "label $$KERNEL" >> $@; \
    echo "kernel /kernels/$$KERNEL/bzImage" >> $@; \
    echo -n "append initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1 " >> $@; \
    echo "prompt_ramdisk=0 rw SLACK_KERNEL=$$KERNEL" >> $@; \
    done

    isolinux/message.txt: isolinux/message.txt.start kernels \
    $(wildcard kernels/*/bzImage)
    cp $@.start $@
    echo $(KERNELS) | fold -s >> $@

    isolinux/initrd.img: initrd_src $(shell find initrd_src -type d -o -type f )
    cd $< && find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../$@

    initrd_src:
    ifeq ($(shell whoami),root)
    mkdir $@ && cd $@ && gzip -d < ../isolinux/initrd.img | cpio -i
    else
    @echo Run \"make initrd_src\" as root! && false
    endif
    slack_dirs:
    find slackware -type l -exec $(RM) {} \;
    cd slackware && \
    ln -s $(foreach DIR, $(PACKAGE_DIRS), ../../slackware/$(DIR)) .
    -8<-----------------------------------------------------------------

    The most interesting parts for you are probably the initrd_src and the
    isolinux/initrd.img targets. My CDs and DVDs were built from directories
    with symbolic links to other directories containing custom and standard
    Slackware packages, but you don't want to make an installation disk. You
    want a live CD with an initrd in RAM containing your root directory.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  19. Re: A very, very,small slackware router

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 01:35:17 +0100, Henrik Carlqvist
    wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >> So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    >> to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    >> modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?

    >It now occurs to me that the easiest way to create a live CD from
    >Slackware might be to start with the Slackware installation CD. I have
    >done some work in customizing the installation CD myself. When I did that
    >work I used a Makefile which among other things were able to use a
    >customized initrd.
    >
    >The complete Makefile looks like this:

    ....... will do manually.......

    >The most interesting parts for you are probably the initrd_src and the
    >isolinux/initrd.img targets. My CDs and DVDs were built from directories
    >with symbolic links to other directories containing custom and standard
    >Slackware packages, but you don't want to make an installation disk. You
    >want a live CD with an initrd in RAM containing your root directory.

    Yes, that's the way I'll try to do it. I will have to make a
    slack install somewhere else with development packages to compile the
    wireless nic modules, and probably recompile the kernel, the rest is
    available on the slackware install cd.
    Just a note, this is my brazilfw memory usage. A wireless
    would need wireless tools, but would NOT need DHCP or setserial or
    even the remote administration utilities.
    brazilfw# free
    total used free shared buffers
    Mem: 63116 6200 56916 0 0
    Swap: 0 0 0
    Total: 63116 6200 56916
    (serving 3 computers on a dialup ... it uses busybox on a 2.4
    kernel, but even so under 20Mb MUST be possible ...)

    >regards Henrik

    ty
    PS the whole family is using the router ATM, I will try this out after
    the carnival holidays ...

  20. Re: A very, very,small slackware router Done !

    Done !!!

    Adapted a BrazilFW, and after a lot of swearing at old floppy drives,
    discovering that the older ralink drivers are better because they
    don't need hotplug, and other stuff, I have a read-only, firewalled,
    boot in 30 seconds router running on a CDrom in my old K6-2 400 Asus

    Built with slackware 10 (2.4 kernel)
    Small kernel !!! (MAC addresses intentionally knackered)

    ROUTER# free
    total used free shared buffers
    Mem: 62648 7044 55604 0 0
    Swap: 0 0 0
    Total: 62648 7044 55604

    ROUTER# ifconfig

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55
    inet addr:192.168.1.4 Bcast:192.168.1.255
    Mask:255.255.255.0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:75973 (74.1 KiB) TX bytes:750602 (733.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:778 (778.0 B) TX bytes:778 (778.0 B)

    ra0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55
    inet addr:172.31.0.3 Bcast:172.31.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    collisions:72 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:2931460 (2.7 MiB) TX bytes:78112 (76.2 KiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xd000

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:15:21 -0200, Shadow wrote:

    >I managed to get a router working at home on an old asus tx97 with 64
    >Mb ram, no monitor or keyboard. I just boot it and it links me up with
    >my wireless, and routes and firewalls for me. Using a SLAX Frodo
    >Edition v 5.1.8, and a few scripts added as modules.
    >
    >The trouble is it uses 60 Mb ram (only 4 free) and takes maybe 3
    >minutes to boot. It freezes after a time, probably out of space for
    >log files.
    >
    >I deleted a lot of stuff, and got it down to 54 Mb in ram, does not
    >freeze anymore, but even so, ages to boot.
    >
    >So I'm wondering, would it be possible to install a minimum slackware
    >to a disk, compile and add my ethernet and wireless drivers as
    >modules, (using checkinstall), and then burn the whole to a live cd ?
    >
    >Something like coyote, or brazilfw, which have tons of features and
    >fit in only a fraction of the ram ? (but do NOT support wireless, the
    >drivers are all outdated and broken, and the development packages are
    >absolute tripe, impossible to use )
    >
    >Any ideas ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast