A very, very,small slackware router - Slackware

  2. Re: A very, very,small slackware router Done !

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:27:00 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
    wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >> Done !!!
    >>
    >> Adapted a BrazilFW, and after a lot of swearing at old floppy drives,
    >> discovering that the older ralink drivers are better because they
    >> don't need hotplug, and other stuff, I have a read-only, firewalled,
    >> boot in 30 seconds router running on a CDrom in my old K6-2 400 Asus

    > Now.. repeat it with a 386DX/20, and we'll talk.
    >
    > BL.

    With a math coprocessor ? That would be cheating !!
    Those were the days !!! :P
    Yes, I'm that old ...... See link for new, up to date ideas

    http://www.textfiles.com/computers/386486.txt

  3. Re: A very, very,small slackware router Done !

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:15:54 -0300, Shadow wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:27:00 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
    > wrote:

    >>Shadow wrote:
    >>> Done !!!
    >>>
    >>> Adapted a BrazilFW, and after a lot of swearing at old floppy drives,
    >>> discovering that the older ralink drivers are better because they
    >>> don't need hotplug, and other stuff, I have a read-only, firewalled,
    >>> boot in 30 seconds router running on a CDrom in my old K6-2 400 Asus

    >> Now.. repeat it with a 386DX/20, and we'll talk.
    >>
    >> BL.

    > With a math coprocessor ? That would be cheating !!

    I think you'll find 386DX referred to a 32-bit model rather than the 386SX
    which had a 16bit bus interface...

    > Those were the days !!! :P

    Yes, anybody after a '387 chip? I have a Cyrix one in the cupboard somewhere

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  4. Re: A very, very,small slackware router Done !

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:27:00 +0000, A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > Shadow wrote:
    >> Done !!!
    >>
    >> Adapted a BrazilFW, and after a lot of swearing at old floppy drives,
    >> discovering that the older ralink drivers are better because they don't
    >> need hotplug, and other stuff, I have a read-only, firewalled, boot in
    >> 30 seconds router running on a CDrom in my old K6-2 400 Asus

    > Now.. repeat it with a 386DX/20, and we'll talk.

    BIOS for a 386 machine won't boot off of a CD-ROM.

    Richard James

    --
    If you find yourself suddenly facing a GUI because you accidentally ran
    startx, don't panic. Just press the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key combo and

  5. Re: A very, very,small slackware router Done !

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> Done !!!
    >>
    >> Adapted a BrazilFW, and after a lot of swearing at old floppy drives,
    >> discovering that the older ralink drivers are better because they
    >> don't need hotplug, and other stuff, I have a read-only, firewalled,
    >> boot in 30 seconds router running on a CDrom in my old K6-2 400 Asus

    > Now.. repeat it with a 386DX/20, and we'll talk.

    Why specify a friggin' supercomputer? A 386SX/16 is more computer
    than anyone could possibly need. SIXTEEN MILLION instructions per
    second! WTF could you possibly need done that can't be done in
    16,000,000 instructions or less?

    BTW, it would be a Very Good Thing to put up a web page somewhere
    explaining how to recreate that very, very,small slackware router...

  6. Re: A very, very,small slackware router Done !

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:44:39 +0000, nobody@home.today wrote:

    >BTW, it would be a Very Good Thing to put up a web page somewhere
    >explaining how to recreate that very, very,small slackware router...

    I could post it to you, its only a 1.7Mb compressed iso image.
    It's pruned to use a ne2k-pci ethernet (to my PCs) and a ralink
    rt61(to the internet). You will have to rebuild any modules that
    don't match yours.
    Static IP, MAC spoofing, duh, you can always rebuild it to do
    what u want ...., or even telnet into it , port 22 ssh, and
    reconfigure it on the fly.
    PS, the router needs no monitor or keyboard, u can manage it
    remotely.
    FWIW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2