The OODE Manifest - Slackware

This is a discussion on The OODE Manifest - Slackware ; The OODE (Other Other Desktop Environment) is the answer to this resource hog and artificial user harnessing interface ODE. Those are the laws of OODE: You shall not use aliases because they are a waste of resources. You shall only ...

  1. The OODE Manifest

    The OODE (Other Other Desktop Environment) is the answer to this
    resource hog and artificial user harnessing interface ODE. Those
    are the laws of OODE:

    You shall not use aliases because they are a waste of resources.

    You shall only use the commandline for entering commands. You are
    allowed to use TAB-Completion, but only twice a day so you can
    learn to spell the names of your apps correctly.

    You shall use ed as your editor and you shall not have any editor
    beside him.

    You may use X, but TWM is the only window manger allowed, and you
    are not allowed to use more than one xterm. Stay away from menus
    in TWM.

    You shall not use scripts may it be your own or someone elses,
    because that makes you lazy and prevents you from learning your
    system. Any program that is a script has to be entered line by
    line, so you gain a good understanding of your system. The only
    exception are the init scripts, but you must cut them down to the
    bare minimum.

    You may use pipes an redirection to accomplish more complicated
    tasks, but only if it is not possible to achieve the same result
    by doing it one command at a time.

    You shall not use regular expressions or wildcards, because they
    make life easier and life is not easy.

    You shall use a terminal application whenever possible. Avoid any
    documents you can't read or tasks you can't accomplish with
    terminal apps. You don't need them because their contents is
    heretic.

    You shall not use any package manager or any packages. The source
    is the only way to enlightment.

    The OODE is the true and only way to use a UNIX/Linux/BSD system
    because it repesents the true spirit of pure and clean computer
    use. Anybody using something diferent is an evil troll who won't
    be able from bullying me out of this group. I won't see their
    posts anyway, since my super-hyper filters combined with my C/R
    mail system will automatically detect any message that makes fun
    of me. I will respond though, since I read the stuff in google
    groups instead, after all I need to know what the evil trolls,
    which are only sock puppets of that uber-troll "Dan C", are
    saying about me.

    The creators of OODE
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  2. Re: The OODE Manifest

    Joerg wrote:
    > The OODE (Other Other Desktop Environment) is the answer to this
    > resource hog and artificial user harnessing interface ODE. Those
    > are the laws of OODE:
    >
    > You shall not use aliases because they are a waste of resources.

    lol.

    This is why I don't understand what Tom's friggin problem is.

    If I have a machine with lots of HP and want KDE and eye candy, then let
    me use it. If I have a machine that isn't as fast and want to use only
    telnet, then let me use it.

    I don't force you to use KDE, don't force me to use YOUR setup.

    that's what I refer to as the beauty and nightmare of Linux: choice.

    Don't like lilo? Use grub.
    Don't like KDE? Use xfce.
    Don't like emacs? Use vim.
    Don't like bash? Use csh.
    And so on...

    but methinks mr tom is just looking to fight, so I just ignore him now.

    Ray

  3. Re: The OODE Manifest

    Ray wrote:

    > but methinks mr tom is just looking to fight, so I just ignore him now.
    >
    > Ray

    Oh no, the whole of this NG is just too scared to "debate him" (as he
    likes to say, over and over again, lol), we all cower to you Tom, yes
    you are the best at debating and you win this and all debates forever.

    Message to Tom: Now STFU and die pls kthx, I hope they cremate you with
    your 80386 and ODE.

+ Reply to Thread