Email Server Geek rates? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Email Server Geek rates? - Slackware ; This isn't a job offer (unless somebody wants to bid) I just want to find out what to expect to pay a consultant. The boss at the company where I sit wants am email server on our "server", which is ...

  1. Email Server Geek rates?

    This isn't a job offer (unless somebody wants to bid) I just want
    to find out what to expect to pay a consultant.

    The boss at the company where I sit wants am email server on our
    "server", which is basically a Slack 11.0 box configured as a
    router, gateway, Apache server and Samba server.

    I've determined that I have no clue, and it would take me about
    a year to learn how to do it, so the task is to find somebody
    who can either come in, or telecommute, set up an email server on
    our box. BTW, we have a static IP, so no worries there.

    There are several "rent-a-geek" kind of outfits in the phone book,
    So my question is, what should I expect to pay?

    Would telecommuting work for a job like that? If so, what kind of
    warranty and stuff would I get?

    We're in Whittier, CA, if that makes a difference.

    Thanks,
    Rich

  2. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

  3. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On Jan 30, 4:40 pm, Rich Grise wrote:
    > This isn't a job offer (unless somebody wants to bid) I just want
    > to find out what to expect to pay a consultant.
    >
    > The boss at the company where I sit wants am email server on our
    > "server", which is basically a Slack 11.0 box configured as a
    > router, gateway, Apache server and Samba server.
    >
    > I've determined that I have no clue, and it would take me about
    > a year to learn how to do it, so the task is to find somebody
    > who can either come in, or telecommute, set up an email server on
    > our box. BTW, we have a static IP, so no worries there.
    >
    > There are several "rent-a-geek" kind of outfits in the phone book,
    > So my question is, what should I expect to pay?
    >
    > Would telecommuting work for a job like that? If so, what kind of
    > warranty and stuff would I get?
    >
    > We're in Whittier, CA, if that makes a difference.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rich

    Check out http://www.inter7.com, I have used them before and have
    found them to be great....

  4. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:26:22 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.slackware.]
    >> This isn't a job offer (unless somebody wants to bid) I just want
    >> to find out what to expect to pay a consultant.

    > I'll consider doing it.
    >
    > http://www.ctsmacon.com/

    I'll send you an email to the address you list on your site, OK?

    Thanks,
    Rich

  5. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:07:07 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:26:22 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.slackware.]
    >>> This isn't a job offer (unless somebody wants to bid) I just want to
    >>> find out what to expect to pay a consultant.

    >> I'll consider doing it.
    >>
    >> http://www.ctsmacon.com/

    > I'll send you an email to the address you list on your site, OK?

    I just want to say that I whacky-parsed the subject line as "Email Server
    Greek Rates", and I started wondering why it costs differently to run a
    server that handles greek email....

  6. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:18:47 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    >>> I'll consider doing it.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ctsmacon.com/

    >> I'll send you an email to the address you list on your site, OK?

    > I just want to say that I whacky-parsed the subject line as "Email Server
    > Greek Rates", and I started wondering why it costs differently to run a
    > server that handles greek email....

    Well, I don't know - so far, this email server stuff has been all Greek
    to me. ;-)

    Cheers!
    Rich

  7. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    Mark South wrote:

    > and I started wondering why it costs differently to run a
    > server that handles greek email....

    Extra care must be taken to ensure they are secured due to their well
    known backdoor vulnerabilities.

    with kind regards

    Chu

  8. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:39:17 +0900, ChuMaiFat wrote:

    >> and I started wondering why it costs differently to run a
    >> server that handles greek email....

    > Extra care must be taken to ensure they are secured due to their well
    > known backdoor vulnerabilities.

    Damn, that's two funnies from a Win-droid, in only two days. Bravo!

    Perhaps I've underestimated them... Hmmm....

  9. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    ChuMaiFat wrote in news:47a1fa50$0$9717$5a62ac22
    @per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> and I started wondering why it costs differently to run a server that
    >> handles greek email....

    > Extra care must be taken to ensure they are secured due to their well
    > known backdoor vulnerabilities.
    >
    > with kind regards
    >
    > Chu

    Subtle, very subtle. Thanks for the laugh.

    --
    The email address, above, is most certainly munged. Perhaps you
    might reply to the newsgroup, instead? Thanks!

  10. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On 2008-01-30, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.slackware.]
    >> This isn't a job offer (unless somebody wants to bid) I just want
    >> to find out what to expect to pay a consultant.

    > I'll consider doing it.
    >
    > http://www.ctsmacon.com/

    http://www.slackbook.org/html/book.html

    An excellent job, Alan. Much appreciated.

    For the mail thing, there are some big companies out there, like
    megamailservers.com (used by clearwire), but they aren't as
    flexible and innovative and responsive as your company would be,
    to put it mildly.

    I'd pay a little more for your services without question. Be
    well worth it.

    Tom

  11. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On 2008-01-31, Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:07:07 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:26:22 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.slackware.]
    >>>
    >>> I'll consider doing it.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ctsmacon.com/

    >> I'll send you an email to the address you list on your site, OK?

    > I just want to say that I whacky-parsed the subject line as "Email Server
    > Greek Rates", and I started wondering why it costs differently to run a
    > server that handles greek email....

    Good thing you read that wrong. Greek rates are exZorbatant.

    Tom

  12. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On 2008-01-31, Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-01-30, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.slackware.]
    >>> This isn't a job offer (unless somebody wants to bid) I just want
    >>> to find out what to expect to pay a consultant.

    >> I'll consider doing it.
    >>
    >> http://www.ctsmacon.com/

    > http://www.slackbook.org/html/book.html
    >
    > An excellent job, Alan. Much appreciated.
    >
    > For the mail thing, there are some big companies out there, like
    > megamailservers.com (used by clearwire), but they aren't as
    > flexible and innovative and responsive as your company would be,
    > to put it mildly.
    >
    > I'd pay a little more for your services without question. Be
    > well worth it.
    >
    > Tom

    Yeh Yeh. We've had our conflicts in the past, but this is business.

    From a business perspective, I don't care how you behave on the Usenet,
    just how well you do your job. And I know that you are a real pro.

    Tom

  13. Re: Email Server Geek rates?

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:41:38 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    >> I'd pay a little more for your services without question. Be
    >> well worth it.

    > From a business perspective, I don't care how you behave on the Usenet,
    > just how well you do your job. And I know that you are a real pro.

    Quit replying to your own posts, Alan. Err, Tom. Err, whatever name
    you're using today. It's the classic indicator of a worthless troll.

    > Tom

    You mean "Alan Connor", right?

    --
    "Tom Newton" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

+ Reply to Thread