Need help rearranging hard drives - Slackware

This is a discussion on Need help rearranging hard drives - Slackware ; Hello, I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. ...

  1. Need help rearranging hard drives

    Hello,

    I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently
    I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd
    which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. hdc is
    my CD writer.

    I tried removing the older small disk - hdb - and put the larger
    disk in it's place. But then when I tried to reboot I got a whole
    mess of Lx's ( I forget what x was, 9 or 90 comes to mind ).

    Would someone kindly explain how to rearrange things so that hda
    remains win2k, hdb my large Slack and hdc stays CD writer. I intend
    to remove the small Slack disk. What files do I need to modify and
    how. I do remember editing fstab but I still got the Lx's stated
    above.

    It is my intent to start doing backups on my PC but I want the
    disk arrangement taken care of first.

    TIA

    = Paul =

  2. Re: Need help rearranging hard drives

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:55:32 -0500, MrMe wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently
    > I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd
    > which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. hdc is
    > my CD writer.
    >
    > I tried removing the older small disk - hdb - and put the larger
    > disk in it's place. But then when I tried to reboot I got a whole
    > mess of Lx's ( I forget what x was, 9 or 90 comes to mind ).
    >
    > Would someone kindly explain how to rearrange things so that hda
    > remains win2k, hdb my large Slack and hdc stays CD writer. I intend
    > to remove the small Slack disk. What files do I need to modify and
    > how. I do remember editing fstab but I still got the Lx's stated
    > above.

    For starters hard drives should be hda and hdc for best performance.

    You need to fix /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo to get rid of the Lx errors.

    How is slackware being booted instead of win2k, BIOS or /boot on hda?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: Need help rearranging hard drives

    MrMe@overhere.com wrote :

    > It is my intent to start doing backups on my PC but I want the
    > disk arrangement taken care of first.

    I would start making the backup first. But check out this Howto:
    /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs/Hard-Disk-Upgrade
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: Need help rearranging hard drives

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:27:40 +1100, Grant wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:55:32 -0500, MrMe wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently
    >> I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd
    >> which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. hdc is
    >> my CD writer.
    >>
    >> I tried removing the older small disk - hdb - and put the larger
    >> disk in it's place. But then when I tried to reboot I got a whole
    >> mess of Lx's ( I forget what x was, 9 or 90 comes to mind ).
    >>
    >> Would someone kindly explain how to rearrange things so that hda
    >> remains win2k, hdb my large Slack and hdc stays CD writer. I intend
    >> to remove the small Slack disk. What files do I need to modify and
    >> how. I do remember editing fstab but I still got the Lx's stated
    >> above.

    > For starters hard drives should be hda and hdc for best performance.

    So I must rearrange my CD-W and Slack hd on the ribbon ?

    > You need to fix /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo to get rid of the Lx errors.
    >
    > How is slackware being booted instead of win2k, BIOS or /boot on hda?

    Not sure what you mean. During boot process I get the option to boot
    win2k or Linux. So I guess that would be BIOS ( ? ) ...

    After correcting lilo.conf, do I then edit fstab ? Any others ?

    = Paul =

  5. Re: Need help rearranging hard drives

    MrMe wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:27:40 +1100, Grant wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:55:32 -0500, MrMe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I would like to rearrange my hard drive configuration. Currently
    >>> I have hda ( win2k ), hdb ( a small disk w/Slackware 11 ) and hdd
    >>> which is a larger disk ( also Slack 11 ) to replace hdb. hdc is
    >>> my CD writer.
    >>>
    >>> I tried removing the older small disk - hdb - and put the larger
    >>> disk in it's place. But then when I tried to reboot I got a whole
    >>> mess of Lx's ( I forget what x was, 9 or 90 comes to mind ).
    >>>
    >>> Would someone kindly explain how to rearrange things so that hda
    >>> remains win2k, hdb my large Slack and hdc stays CD writer. I intend
    >>> to remove the small Slack disk. What files do I need to modify and
    >>> how. I do remember editing fstab but I still got the Lx's stated
    >>> above.

    >> For starters hard drives should be hda and hdc for best performance.

    > So I must rearrange my CD-W and Slack hd on the ribbon ?
    >
    >> You need to fix /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo to get rid of the Lx errors.
    >>
    >> How is slackware being booted instead of win2k, BIOS or /boot on hda?

    > Not sure what you mean. During boot process I get the option to boot
    > win2k or Linux. So I guess that would be BIOS ( ? ) ...
    >
    > After correcting lilo.conf, do I then edit fstab ? Any others ?
    >
    > = Paul =

    that sounds like lilo is coming up but can't find your kernel.

    lilo is a really simple boot loader, when you "run" lilo, I believe all
    it does is note where the kernel is on disk, and when you boot, after
    you select linux it jumps to there and starts loading. Which, if you're
    swapping disks... isn't the same spot unless you used dd. So, you need
    to run lilo after editing lilo.conf.

    Hopefully that makes sense. I am assuming here the select OS screen is
    LILO (it usually says so) and not the NT boot loader screen.

    Ray

  6. Re: Need help rearranging hard drives

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:01:35 +0000, Ray wrote:

    > MrMe wrote:

    >>> For starters hard drives should be hda and hdc for best performance.

    >> So I must rearrange my CD-W and Slack hd on the ribbon ?
    >>
    >>> You need to fix /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo to get rid of the Lx errors.
    >>>
    >>> How is slackware being booted instead of win2k, BIOS or /boot on hda?

    >> Not sure what you mean. During boot process I get the option to boot
    >> win2k or Linux. So I guess that would be BIOS ( ? ) ...
    >>
    >> After correcting lilo.conf, do I then edit fstab ? Any others ?
    >>
    >> = Paul =

    > that sounds like lilo is coming up but can't find your kernel.
    >
    > lilo is a really simple boot loader, when you "run" lilo, I believe all
    > it does is note where the kernel is on disk, and when you boot, after
    > you select linux it jumps to there and starts loading. Which, if you're
    > swapping disks... isn't the same spot unless you used dd. So, you need
    > to run lilo after editing lilo.conf.
    >
    > Hopefully that makes sense. I am assuming here the select OS screen is
    > LILO (it usually says so) and not the NT boot loader screen.
    >
    > Ray

    Yes. It is Lilo boot loader.
    Can you tell me what files I need to edit after rearranging my disk
    on the cable ( or rearranging the cable to my disks ). ?

    = Paul =

  7. Re: Need help rearranging hard drives

    MrMe wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:01:35 +0000, Ray wrote:
    >
    >> MrMe wrote:

    >>> So I must rearrange my CD-W and Slack hd on the ribbon ?

    >>> Not sure what you mean. During boot process I get the option to boot
    >>> win2k or Linux. So I guess that would be BIOS ( ? ) ...
    >>>
    >>> After correcting lilo.conf, do I then edit fstab ? Any others ?
    >>>
    >>> = Paul =

    >> that sounds like lilo is coming up but can't find your kernel.
    >>
    >> lilo is a really simple boot loader, when you "run" lilo, I believe all
    >> it does is note where the kernel is on disk, and when you boot, after
    >> you select linux it jumps to there and starts loading. Which, if you're
    >> swapping disks... isn't the same spot unless you used dd. So, you need
    >> to run lilo after editing lilo.conf.
    >>
    >> Hopefully that makes sense. I am assuming here the select OS screen is
    >> LILO (it usually says so) and not the NT boot loader screen.
    >>
    >> Ray

    > Yes. It is Lilo boot loader.
    > Can you tell me what files I need to edit after rearranging my disk
    > on the cable ( or rearranging the cable to my disks ). ?
    >
    > = Paul =

    /etc/lilo.conf

    in there you'll see something like:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    root=/dev/hdd1
    label=linux

    well, if you're going to be booting Linux of hdc1, you need to change
    the root line. then run lilo, which causes lilo to reread lilo.conf and
    apply the changes. The apply the changes part is where I think people
    get snookered - lilo only reads lilo.conf if you run lilo, not at boot.
    (lilo doesn't understand filesystems - it only does raw sectors.)

    Ray

+ Reply to Thread