[news] Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event - Slackware

This is a discussion on [news] Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event - Slackware ; The event was held in Mountain View, California Details in this blog http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/14690.html Patrick Volkerding was there Richard James...

  1. [news] Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    The event was held in Mountain View, California

    Details in this blog
    http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/14690.html

    Patrick Volkerding was there

    Richard James

  2. Re: [news] Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    Richard James wrote:

    > Patrick Volkerding was there

    Big deal.

    Both Sasquatch AND Xena will be attending the forthcoming ODE 1.0
    release event.

    With kind regards

    Chu

  3. Re: [news] Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:41:09 +0900, ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > Both Sasquatch AND Xena will be attending the forthcoming ODE 1.0
    > release event.

  4. Re: [news] Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:41:09 +0900, ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > Both Sasquatch AND Xena will be attending the forthcoming ODE 1.0
    > release event.

    LOL, now that's funny, right there. Even if it does come from a Win-droid.

  5. Re: [news] Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On 2008-01-30, Richard James wrote:
    > The event was held in Mountain View, California
    >
    > Details in this blog
    > http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/14690.html
    >
    > Patrick Volkerding was there

    Indeed he was. Here's my (short) writeup on it:
    http://blog.rlworkman.net/2008/01/kd...ase-event.html

    -RW

  6. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On Jan 30, 3:55 am, Richard James wrote:
    > The event was held in Mountain View, California
    >
    > Details in this bloghttp://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/14690.html
    >
    > Patrick Volkerding was there

    A lot of Slackers don't use KDE and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot
    pole.

    PV certainly doesn't need that artificial interface to run Slackware!

    I'd guess that he just used the conference as an excuse to take a
    little
    vacation. That way he could write all the travel expenses off his
    income taxes as business expenses.

    Tom

    Use this address. The other one is a spamtrap:
    calhobbit AT
    gmail DOT
    com

  7. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    Tom N (simpleman.s43@gmail.com) writes:
    > On Jan 30, 3:55 am, Richard James wrote:
    >> The event was held in Mountain View, California
    >>
    >> Details in this bloghttp://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/14690.html
    >>
    >> Patrick Volkerding was there

    > A lot of Slackers don't use KDE and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot
    > pole.

    Of course, lots of people stick mostly to real consoles, but have no
    problem with KDE or any of the other GUIs.

    Michael

  8. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    Tom N wrote:

    > A *lot of Slackers don't use KDE...

    By "Slackers" do you mean users of the Slackware« GNU/Linux
    distribution? What percentage of Slackware« users do not use KDE? How
    many slackware users are there? From whence have you obtained data to
    verify your contention?

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  9. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:41:40 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> A ┬*lot of Slackers don't use KDE...

    > By "Slackers" do you mean users of the Slackware® GNU/Linux
    > distribution? What percentage of Slackware® users do not use KDE? How
    > many slackware users are there? From whence have you obtained data to
    > verify your contention?

    Are we counting users or boxes here? I ask because I have two boxes(**)
    running Slack12 at my left elbox, both with Korporate Desktop Evilness
    [TM] installed.

    So you see that I need to know my evilnessitude rating.

    (**) One is the backup system. Even I can't break both boxes
    simultaneously.

    Evilly,
    Mark
    --
    Me: "Signature, main system is down! Fire up the backup system!"
    Signature: "I'm sorry, Master, that *was* the backup system."

  10. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    please dont feed the troll

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  11. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    Res wrote:

    > please dont feed the troll

    As he seems to be ignoring me I doubt that I am 'feeding' him. He may
    even have actually managed to work out how to 'Killfile' me.

    I would however like to learn what he means by "A lot of Slackers...",
    is that a lot of Slackware« users? How many is "A lot"? Where has he
    obtained his data from, is it verifiable?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  12. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    Two Ravens wrote in news:60e5i1F1q73e4U1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > Res wrote:
    >
    >> please dont feed the troll

    > As he seems to be ignoring me I doubt that I am 'feeding' him.

    He's probably saving you to play with later, after he becomes tired of
    pulling the wings off of flies and aggravating some others in the group.

    >He may
    > even have actually managed to work out how to 'Killfile' me.

    Never believe that for a minute. He has to read every word about him, no
    matter the source.

    > I would however like to learn what he means by "A lot of Slackers...",

    Good luck finding out.

    > is that a lot of Slackware« users?

    He doesn't know, doesn't care, and just throws out rhetoric and bile to
    see what comes back.

    The world is against him and refuses to acknowledge his greatness. His
    way is the One True Way and if only we all weren't blinded we would see.

    I haven't worked out yet if he's a man with a mental problem or a
    teenager simply trying to get the attention of people with more knowledge
    than he. I also don't really care which he is.

    > How many is "A lot"?

    Good luck finding out.

    > Where has he obtained his data from,

    Good luck finding out.

    > is it verifiable?

    Of course his assertions could be proven or disproven but the effort
    required to do so would be great and he hasn't the resources to effect
    that effort.

    So, no.

    --
    The email address, above, is most certainly munged. Perhaps you
    might reply to the newsgroup, instead? Thanks!

  13. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Res wrote:
    >
    >> please dont feed the troll

    > As he seems to be ignoring me I doubt that I am 'feeding' him. He may
    > even have actually managed to work out how to 'Killfile' me.

    nah, he reads it, he screams slapping himself in the head and goes red'r
    than a tomato for not being able to bring himself to reply to us all (I
    say us all, since he;s told 99% of teh group hes filtered us') which makes
    me question his sanity even further, after all if you have everyone
    filtered why post, oh oops how remiss of me, thats a qualification for
    'troll'

    But as Dan C pointed out in a recent post this morning, it shows the
    ****snap does read it, but he couldnt reply to us anyway because we all
    know hes full of ****, and has already burnt all the bridges.

    > I would however like to learn what he means by "A lot of Slackers...",

    he wouldnt know since he only apparently recently started using it

    > is that a lot of Slackware« users? How many is "A lot"? Where has he
    > obtained his data from, is it verifiable?

    Alan, oops sorry, I mean Tom, would quantify 'a lot' as being more then
    he can count to, which in his case is as many fingers as he has on one hand.

    In a poll we ran last year, in the desktop market, Slackware did not score
    so well, but neither did two of the other well known 10 yr distros, but
    in servers it topped the poll, if you look at the desktop results, bare in
    mind, most of the respondants are network staff, sys admins, IT staff etc,
    from industry lists that consists of list members from all over the world,
    running small 3 pc networks to large corporations/isp/telcos etc, and as we
    left it up, also whoever else came accross it and voted since.

    desktop poll - http://polls.ausics.net/v1.php
    server poll - http://polls.ausics.net/v7.php

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  14. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    Res wrote:

    > Alan, oops sorry, I mean Tom, would quantify *'a lot' as being more
    > then=20 he can count to, which in his case is as many fingers as he
    > has on one hand= =2E

    But we must be charitable and at least give him a chance to make his
    case that his contention is based on solid data. I won't hold my breath
    though.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  15. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Two Ravens wrote:

    > I won't hold my breath though.

    I'm glad As it will be a long long wait

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  16. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:49:18 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Res wrote:
    >
    >> Alan, oops sorry, I mean Tom, would quantify *'a lot' as being more
    >> then=20 he can count to, which in his case is as many fingers as he has
    >> on one hand= =2E

    > But we must be charitable and at least give him a chance to make his
    > case that his contention is based on solid data. I won't hold my breath
    > though.

    He doesn't want to. Because he works on vaporous ideas. If ideas are
    vaporous they can't be contended, this is the way Trolling works. He
    isn't interested in solid facts because they can actually be argued. He
    isn't interested in arguments because he can't win them. So he makes
    everything vaporous like FUD, half a lie and half a truth. You can't have
    an argument with someone who isn't willing to ever concede defeat because
    they will keep on making up ways in which in their eyes they win and you
    lose.

    It is a psychological game he is playing. And he is not playing it with
    you or anyone else. He is playing with himself. It might seem he is
    toying with us but in reality he is just rearranging things in his mind
    to make himself feel "something". That "something" might be "self worth"
    or "superiority", who knows?

    I don't really know because I can't read his mind I can just read his
    posts. But from my experience this is approximately what is going on.

    Richard James

  17. Re: Slackware attends KDE 4.0 Release event

    Hallo, Richard,

    Du meintest am 01.02.08:

    [Tom N]

    >> But we must be charitable and at least give him a chance to make his
    >> case that his contention is based on solid data. I won't hold my
    >> breath though.

    > He doesn't want to. Because he works on vaporous ideas.

    No - it's a troll. Why do you feed it?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut