ODE -- Helpful Script - Slackware

This is a discussion on ODE -- Helpful Script - Slackware ; ODE The Other Desktop Environment For those of you who refuse to be harnessed by artificial user- interfaces like KDE, here's a helpful little script that allows you to keep a watch on traffic through your Internet interface. It's written ...

  1. ODE -- Helpful Script

    ODE

    The Other Desktop Environment

    For those of you who refuse to be harnessed by artificial user-
    interfaces like KDE,
    here's a helpful little script that allows you to keep a watch on
    traffic
    through your Internet interface.

    It's written for eth0, but that can easily be changed to ppp0 or
    whatever.
    The regular expression for grep can changed at will, too.

    In this case it looks for SYN packets (attempts to connect to your box
    and
    any responses your box makes) by default, but if you kill it with Ctrl-
    it will show all the traffic, and then revert back if you kill it
    again.

    From the command line, you can enter this, substituting the name of
    your
    favorite x-terminal emulator (the options and args are standard):

    #rxvt -geometry 145X54 +sb -cr white -bg white -title teth -e teth.sh
    &

    (better to have it come up with startx using your window
    manager - change the geometry if required 'stty size' will tell
    you the geometry of a window in lines and columns)

    This requires the ethereal package, available on linuxpackages

    http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=7920

    This works fine on 12.0.

    You'll need to create this file in /tmp, and change its permissions:

    #echo AAA > /tmp/teth.sh-file
    #chmod a+rw /tmp/teth.sh-file

    Put this in /usr/local/bin (without the column of # on the left)
    calling it teth.sh and running:

    #chmod ug+rwx /usr/local/bin/teth.sh

    ##!/bin/bash
    #
    #while : ; do
    #if ifconfig | grep [e]th0 &>/dev/null
    #then
    #if test `cat /tmp/teth.sh-file` = AAA
    #then echo "BBB" > /tmp/teth.sh-file
    #tethereal -t a -i eth0 | grep SYN
    #else echo "AAA" > /tmp/teth.sh-file
    #tethereal -t a -i eth0
    #fi
    #else echo -e "\neth0 interface is down" && sleep 5
    #fi
    #done
    #

    To kill the script, kill the window.

    From the developers of ODE, the Other Desktop Environment.

    Yes, that's a joke of sorts. But no more than KDE. Both are
    just collections of applications.

    ODE is for those seeking power and control, rather
    than those who want to be dependent on the yuppy geeks
    at KDE and their cutesy eye-candy and bull****.

    Here are some useful links:

    http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/docs/linux/ar01s03.html
    http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/
    http://www.onlamp.com/linux/cmd/
    http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/guru.shtml
    http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml
    http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/shortcut/index.php
    http://www.laynetworks.com/linux.htm

    You can use any window manager for ODE, but it should allow you
    to run it with the keyboard for the most part, allow you to
    configure it to bring up windows at startx with the same name
    and number every time, provide as uncluttered a workspace as
    possible, and have no exotic dependencies.

    Ratpoison is my choice. It's available like so:

    #wget -c http://www.sekurity.com/packages/12....i486-1_dxt.tgz

    Ratpoison also has the advantage of being based on GNU screen, which
    is a console
    mode window manager that allows you attach to remote screen sessions
    just
    as you can to remote X sessions.

    So you can basically master both apps at the same time, allowing you
    to work
    in the console and X environments at will.

    Tom
    Use this address. The other one is a spamtrap:
    calhobbit AT
    gmail DOT
    com

  2. Re: ODE -- Helpful Script

    On Jan 29, 10:42 pm, Tom N wrote:
    > ODE
    >
    > The Other Desktop Environment
    >
    > For those of you who refuse to be harnessed by artificial user-
    > interfaces like KDE,
    > here's a helpful little script that allows you to keep a watch on
    > traffic

    > through your Internet interface.

    Added note: Put this at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.S:

    #echo AAA > /tmp/teth.sh-file # this is for /usr/local/bin/teth.sh

    (without the leading #)

    This will make it start in the right mode.

    Tom
    Use this address. The other one is a spamtrap:
    calhobbit AT
    gmail DOT
    com

  3. Re: ODE -- Useless crap from a lunatic

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:42:10 -0800, Tom N wrote:

    > So you can basically master both apps at the same time, allowing you
    > to work in the console and X environments at will.

    I can already do that, n00b.

    > Tom

    You mean "Alan Connor".

    > calhobbit AT
    > gmail DOT
    > com

    calhobbit@gmail.com ?
    simpleman.s43@gmail.com ?

    Those are both spamtraps, now. LOL

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  4. Re: ODE -- Helpful Script

    Tom N wrote:
    > ODE
    >
    > The Other Desktop Environment
    >
    > #rxvt -geometry 145X54 +sb -cr white -bg white -title teth -e teth.sh
    > &
    > This requires the ethereal package, available on linuxpackages
    >
    > http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=7920
    >
    > This works fine on 12.0.
    >
    > You'll need to create this file in /tmp, and change its permissions:
    >
    > #echo AAA > /tmp/teth.sh-file
    > #chmod a+rw /tmp/teth.sh-file
    >
    > Put this in /usr/local/bin (without the column of # on the left)
    > calling it teth.sh and running:
    >
    > #chmod ug+rwx /usr/local/bin/teth.sh
    >
    > ##!/bin/bash
    > #
    > #while : ; do
    > #if ifconfig | grep [e]th0 &>/dev/null
    > #then
    > #if test `cat /tmp/teth.sh-file` = AAA
    > #then echo "BBB" > /tmp/teth.sh-file
    > #tethereal -t a -i eth0 | grep SYN
    > #else echo "AAA" > /tmp/teth.sh-file
    > #tethereal -t a -i eth0
    > #fi
    > #else echo -e "\neth0 interface is down" && sleep 5
    > #fi
    > #done
    > #
    > To kill the script, kill the window.

    Tom

    Thanks very much for making your script available. I don't have much
    experience with bash but I am hoping to change that in the future.

    I followed your instructions and managed to get it going (sort of) but I
    think I must be doing something wrong. It does work, however I think I
    stuffed up the bit with the terminal right at the start, and
    consequently it looks fairly ****ty compared to the rest of my desktop.

    I know you haven't actually released ODE yet, and I shouldn't expect
    support at this stage but I've taken a screen shot and was wondering
    whether you could have a look and see where I went wrong?

    http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...bc1fd3d927.png

    With kind regards

    Chu

  5. Re: ODE -- Helpful Script

    ChuMaiFat writes:

    > http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...bc1fd3d927.png

    Is there ANY way we can make that image a modquote? :-)

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  6. Re: ODE -- Helpful Script

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:32:33 +0900, ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > I know you haven't actually released ODE yet, and I shouldn't expect
    > support at this stage but I've taken a screen shot and was wondering
    > whether you could have a look and see where I went wrong?
    >
    > http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...bc1fd3d927.png

    Beautiful!

    best

    Paul