Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.? - Slackware ; I'm looking at a (almost) new laptop. Is the current version of Slack as multi-media and wi-fi "up to date" as say Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS or Mepis? Or are there a number of items I will have to install for ...

  1. Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    I'm looking at a (almost) new laptop. Is the current version of Slack as
    multi-media and wi-fi "up to date" as say Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS or Mepis?
    Or are there a number of items I will have to install for access via
    wi-fi, EVO or EDGE, and to view mpeg/wmv video, etc.

    Debian requires you to download some codecs files. Does current Slack?

    A few distros have a 'script' that you can run that will grab (from a
    repository) all the files that they can't include because of either
    social contracts or GPL, etc.

    So where is Slackware on the issue of being multi-media ready out of the
    box?

    Thanks,

    AC

  2. Re: Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    You have to download codecs in ubuntu as well, neither of these
    distros come with proprietary media codecs. For wifi, just use
    ndiswrapper for both distros, since linux drivers for some cards (esp
    Broadcom) are not up to par with windows drivers in terms of range and
    speed. Check out linuxpackages.net to get an idea of the pre-compiled
    binaries available on slackware systems.

    Jack

  3. Re: Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    ANC wrote:
    > I'm looking at a (almost) new laptop. Is the current version of Slack as
    > multi-media and wi-fi "up to date" as say Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS or Mepis?
    > Or are there a number of items I will have to install for access via
    > wi-fi, EVO or EDGE, and to view mpeg/wmv video, etc.
    >
    > Debian requires you to download some codecs files. Does current Slack?

    This is done for legal purpose; so it would be the same for Slackware.
    For t(he wifi; you might have to compile the driver on your own (this is
    generally not difficult).

    > A few distros have a 'script' that you can run that will grab (from a
    > repository) all the files that they can't include because of either
    > social contracts or GPL, etc.

    check http://www.slackbuilds.org

    This site is provided good quality build script (and is recommended by
    Patrick Volkerding, the maintener of Slackware (in RELEASE_NOTES). It
    include these codecs.

    > So where is Slackware on the issue of being multi-media ready out of the
    > box?

    I don't think Slackware philosophy is to be ready "out of the box".
    Software are installed without patches and the distribution itself is
    kept simple in order to be easy customised.

    Olive

  4. Re: Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 04:47:36 +0000, ANC trolled:

    > I'm looking at a (almost) new laptop. Is the current version of Slack as
    > multi-media and wi-fi "up to date" as say Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS or Mepis?

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

  5. Re: Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    ANC wrote:

    > So where is Slackware on the issue of being multi-media ready out of the
    > box?

    I found things worked much better downloading a chunk of codecs.

    Before you get on one of your things about Slackware being doomed unless
    Pat listens to you, let me point out Gentoo is out, Unbutoo is in, and
    Slackware is still there. It will be there when Unbutoo is out, and some
    other new fad is in....

    - Kurt

  6. Re: Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    On 2008-01-31, ~kurt wrote:

    > Before you get on one of your things about Slackware being doomed unless
    > Pat listens to you, let me point out Gentoo is out, Unbutoo is in, and
    > Slackware is still there. It will be there when Unbutoo is out, and some
    > other new fad is in....

    You fool! If we can convince him that Slackware is in fact dead, maybe
    he'll go away!

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:12:49 -0800, Keith Keller wrote:

    > On 2008-01-31, ~kurt wrote:
    >>
    >> Before you get on one of your things about Slackware being doomed
    >> unless Pat listens to you, let me point out Gentoo is out, Unbutoo is
    >> in, and Slackware is still there. It will be there when Unbutoo is
    >> out, and some other new fad is in....

    > You fool! If we can convince him that Slackware is in fact dead, maybe
    > he'll go away!

    OK Slackware is dead. Ubuntu can play DVD media out of the box[0]. No-one
    in their right mind is installing Slackware on desktops today. Slackware
    was doomed from the start. There is no such thing as a market niche. In
    other news the IPO for the GParted distro has failed due to the fact it
    cannot play DVD's.

    Richard James
    [0] DVD must ISO9660 or UDF formatted

  8. Re: Is Slackware as mulit-media ready as Ubuntu et. al.?

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > You fool! If we can convince him that Slackware is in fact dead, maybe
    > he'll go away!

    Ah crap.

    - Kurt

+ Reply to Thread