[OT] Silly Computer Users - Slackware

  2. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    * Tom Newton wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On 2008-01-31, Loki Harfagr wrote:
    >> Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:53:20 -0800, Tom N did cat*:

    >>> I have no idea what you are talking about there.

    >> Curious, that wass easy though:
    >> ACDC: "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" - 1976
    >> Status Quo: "Whatever you want" - 1979

    > My tastes in music are different than yours.
    >
    >>> Except that I know bull**** when I see it.

    >> Highly doubtful as until then it seems you don't
    >> even know bull**** when you write it.

    > Many Slackers don't use KDE or Gnome (etc.) and wouldn't touch them
    > with a ten foot pole.
    >
    > As well as many people who use other linux distros. And unix distros.
    >
    > Yet we do run X and window managers and can do anything that can
    > be done with KDE, with a fraction of the system resources KDE
    > requires. We can do MORE.
    >
    > Since that's all I've been saying, and it isn't bull**** at
    > all...
    >
    > ODE (the Other Desktop Environment) is simply running Linux from
    > the command line, in the console or the X environments.

    http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/581/

    Right up your alley

    --
    David

  3. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    On 2008-01-31, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > Sorry guys, I normally don't reply to the troll, but I just couldn't
    > help it.
    >
    > On 2008-01-31, Tom Newton wrote:
    >> Many Slackers don't use KDE or Gnome (etc.) and wouldn't touch them with a ten
    >> foot pole.

    > alan@raven:~$ ten-foot_pole
    > alan@raven:~$ set
    >
    > ten-foot_pole() {
    > touch /home/alan/kde
    > touch /home/alan/gnome
    > }

    Yet another idiotic response here. From yet another Slacker who doesn't
    want to discuss the relative merits of KDE/Gnome (etc.) and running
    Slack from the commandline.

    So far, the impression of anyone following these related threads must be
    that KDE/Gnome (etc.) users are a bunch of morons. Seriously.

    I don't care if you use KDE or the like. I don't. And I can do anything
    you can do, with a tiny fraction of the system resources reuired by
    monstrosities like KDE and Gnome.

    And because my OS is simpler and smaller, it is more stable and more
    secure. And I can use all those system resources for something other
    than eye-candy and the illusion of user-friendliness.

    My "ODE" is also a complete user interface, which KDE/Gnome are not.

    And I can teach any real newbie (someone new to computers) how to
    run Linux from the command line within the X environment, like I
    do, in less time than it would take them to learn KDE.

    But I'm not posting this for you and the other Windows-clone interface
    addicts and promoters. You aren't going to engage me in an honest
    debate because I'd win. And you know it.

    This is for all the people who monitor this group and don't post
    here because they are afraid of being assaulted by you and your
    buddies.

    ODE the Other Desktop Environment. The command line. With or
    without X.

    You can point-and-click like a monkey, or type like a human being.

    Tom

  4. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    On 2008-01-31, Tom Newton wrote:
    > On 2008-01-31, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>
    >> alan@raven:~$ ten-foot_pole
    >> alan@raven:~$ set
    >>
    >> ten-foot_pole() {
    >> touch /home/alan/kde
    >> touch /home/alan/gnome
    >> }

    > Yet another idiotic response here.

    I guess you won't be hiring Alan's firm after all.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  5. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:13:14 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    >> ODE (the Other Desktop Environment) is simply running Linux from
    >> the command line, in the console or the X environments.

    > http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/581/
    > Right up your alley

    Oh, great. Now you did it. That's gonna set the ODE project back a bit.
    This one is already much more polished than ODE 2.0 or even 3.0 would have
    been. What the **** is Alan Connor gonna do now? His idea has already
    been done!

    This is more "up his alley":
    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/headsup.jpg

    --
    "Tom N" (or "Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  6. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:13:14 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    >> ODE (the Other Desktop Environment) is simply running Linux from the
    >> command line, in the console or the X environments.
    >>

    > http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/581/

    What about stumpwm it's the successor to ratpoison
    http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/screenshot.png

    It's based on EMACs

    Richard James

  7. Re: GODE and KODE (was: [:alnum:]+)

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:19:32 +0000, Tom Newton wrote:

    > And because my OS is simpler and smaller, it is more stable and more
    > secure. And I can use all those system resources for something other
    > than eye-candy and the illusion of user-friendliness
    >
    > My "ODE" is also a complete user interface,

    Jayce, please, don't do all this again, last time you were
    out many good people died, laughing, just at reading your drivels
    against the many conspiracies against your "MultiDeskOS" and
    most of the other died a bit later when you published the "manpages"
    (sort of) of the successive versions an releases of the ubiquitous
    and self-curing+pan-repairing MultiDeskOS.

    Eventually you abandoned us all as the world was not ready yet
    for the quant hick leap your were bringing down and out to the
    vile.

    It is my sad duty to have to prepare you to hear the dull words
    again, the world is *not ready yet* once again and it'll be a better
    use of your energy to prepare the next sequel.

    Failing to find the capacities in you to do so will probably mean
    that the world has already been captured by X3nU or Kruiz3 and
    in this case praise BoB to save the KeyB!

    as you used to say in another dream: ``G'nite Wanda'' ,-)

  8. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    * Richard James wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:13:14 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    [...]

    > What about stumpwm it's the successor to ratpoison
    > http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/screenshot.png
    >
    > It's based on EMACs
    >
    > Richard James

    Yeah, that article (The Anti Desktop) is quite old I rememeber reading it
    when it was first published almost 5 years ago. I didnt realize ratpoison
    had a successor. I checked the site today (ratpoison) and it seemed to have
    been updated in the last six months or so. Thanks for the tip.

    --
    David

  9. Re: ODE and KDE

    On 2008-01-31, Richard James wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:13:14 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >>> ODE (the Other Desktop Environment) is simply running Linux from the
    >>> command line, in the console or the X environments.
    >>>

    >> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/581/

    > What about stumpwm it's the successor to ratpoison
    > http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/screenshot.png
    >
    > It's based on EMACs
    >
    > Richard James

    I checked out the site and downloaded the source (?)

    stumpwm-0.0.5
    stumpwm-0.0.5/AUTHORS
    stumpwm-0.0.5/user.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/stumpwm.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/stumpwm.asd
    stumpwm-0.0.5/sample-stumpwmrc.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/primitives.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/package.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/kmap.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/input.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/core.lisp
    stumpwm-0.0.5/VERSION
    stumpwm-0.0.5/README
    stumpwm-0.0.5/NEWS
    stumpwm-0.0.5/ChangeLog
    stumpwm-0.0.5/COPYING
    stumpwm-0.0.5/stumpwm.texi

    After reading the README, I'd guess it's not actually source, but
    a bunch of files that send directives to the lisp interpreter.
    Which I don't have. The tarball is very small, 40K, but that's
    an illusion. Once you intall lisp and the CLOCC ports package,
    it's a whole lot larger than that.

    Ratpoison is only 132K with no exotic dependencies.

    Nice idea, but ratpoison works fine, and I'm not an emacs person
    so I don't have lisp and don't want it.

    In that screenshot it looks like the screen is split. I do that
    all the time with rp. Just Ctrl-t s and Ctrl-t Q to get back
    to normal. Very handy. Or you can split the screen vertically
    with Ctrl-t S (and it gets a lot fancier than that).

    I have a custom keybinding that splits the screen and brings
    up ~/.clipboard in my editor in the bottom half, which I
    use mostly for copying stuff too and from webpages. I keep
    a list of passwords and usernames there, and such. When
    I close the editor the screen reverts to normal.
    The keybinding (Ctrl-t Alt-a) calls this script:

    ##!/bin/sh
    #
    #rp=/usr/local/bin/ratpoison
    #
    #RP_call ()
    #{
    # $rp -c "$*"
    #}
    #
    #RP_call split
    #RP_call shrink
    #RP_call focusdown
    #RP_call exec rxvt -ls -bg darkgreen -fg white -cr yellow -title CB -sl 0 -e vi + ~/.clipboard
    #while :; do
    #if ! /usr/bin/ps ax | grep "\.clipboard" &>/dev/null
    #then
    #RP_call remove
    #RP_call focusup
    #exit 0
    #fi
    #done

    Good thought, Richard. Someone who had lisp for another
    reason could probably make good use of it.

    I'd imagine it would work as well as ratpoison. The idea is to have full sized
    windows (most of the time) that are uncluttered, and keyboard control. And the
    ability to have them come up with startx in the same order with the same name
    each time.

    Tom

  10. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    On 31 Jan 2008 10:17:00 GMT,
    Richard James wrote:

    > ...Normally I like to have conversations
    > with normal human adults or even children but you want to act
    > like a moron. I don't want to talk to a moron so we are not
    > going to ever have that conversation.

    Errmmmm... I think you misspelled maroon.

    Helpfully,

    --
    Theodore (Ted) Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

  11. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE

    Theodore Heise wrote:
    > On 31 Jan 2008 10:17:00 GMT,
    > Richard James wrote:
    >
    >> ...Normally I like to have conversations
    >> with normal human adults or even children but you want to act
    >> like a moron. I don't want to talk to a moron so we are not
    >> going to ever have that conversation.

    > Errmmmm... I think you misspelled maroon.
    >
    > Helpfully,

    He's Canadian.

    With kind regards

    Chu

  12. Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O)

    Loki Harfagr wrote:

    > Highly doubtful as until then it seems you don't
    > even know bull**** when you write it.

    I seldom actually laugh out loud while reading this group. Thanks.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  13. Re: ODE and KDE (was: Re: OKDEE/DODEE (was: Re: Silly K/O))

    james wrote:

    > There's nothing to "debate". Trimming inittab so that only one console
    > is run requires less resources than running the default 6. Runlevel 1
    > takes even less. Runlevel 4 takes more. Gnome and KDE use more
    > resources than an X background and a single xterm. That is also true of
    > most, if not all, window managers.
    >
    > So what?

    So what? So what!? So that's just insanely _rational_! That's what!

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  14. Re: KDE/ODE (was: Re: Silly Computer Users)

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > Don't you think it's a waste of resources to use an alias when you could
    > just type
    >
    > fir[TAB]&[Enter]
    >
    > and accomplish the same thing? Damn, your ODE is such a resource hog!

    Screw that.
    ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/f
    Once and forever. 24 bytes.

    In the minimalist world, ODE just sucks.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  15. Re: KDE/ODE (was: Re: Silly Computer Users)

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > Don't you think it's a waste of resources to use an alias when you could
    > just type
    >
    > fir[TAB]&[Enter]

    This requires too many keystrokes. I just type "!se" to start seamonkey.
    Sure, at some point in time I had to actually type in "seamonkey&"

    - Kurt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2