installing two versions of gcc - Slackware

This is a discussion on installing two versions of gcc - Slackware ; Some softwares (qemu for example) requires gcc 3.x to be compiled. gcc 3.x is still present in the pasture directory of Slackware but is it possible to install two versions of gcc safely? It seems that both packages contains a ...

  1. installing two versions of gcc

    Some softwares (qemu for example) requires gcc 3.x to be compiled. gcc
    3.x is still present in the pasture directory of Slackware but is it
    possible to install two versions of gcc safely? It seems that both
    packages contains a lot of conflicting files (so just renaming gcc won't
    be sufficient) Anyone has an idea?

    Olive

  2. Re: installing two versions of gcc

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:06:14 +0100, Olive wrote:

    >Some softwares (qemu for example) requires gcc 3.x to be compiled. gcc
    >3.x is still present in the pasture directory of Slackware but is it
    >possible to install two versions of gcc safely? It seems that both
    >packages contains a lot of conflicting files (so just renaming gcc won't
    >be sufficient) Anyone has an idea?

    google turned up: http://www.tellurian.com.au/whitepapers/multiplegcc.php
    and many more for searching "installing two versions of gcc"

    I've not had the need to try it out though...

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: installing two versions of gcc

    On 2008-01-29, Olive wrote:
    > Some softwares (qemu for example) requires gcc 3.x to be compiled. gcc
    > 3.x is still present in the pasture directory of Slackware but is it
    > possible to install two versions of gcc safely? It seems that both
    > packages contains a lot of conflicting files (so just renaming gcc won't
    > be sufficient) Anyone has an idea?

    http://slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/gcc34/

    -RW

  4. Re: installing two versions of gcc