The ODE Protocol - Slackware

This is a discussion on The ODE Protocol - Slackware ; The ODE protocol, version 1.0 The purposes of ODE, the Optimal Desktop Environment, are: 1. To make Linux accessible to everyone in the world, not just the minority middle-class with the latest hardware and fast connections to the Internet. While ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. The ODE Protocol

    The ODE protocol, version 1.0

    The purposes of ODE, the Optimal Desktop Environment, are:

    1. To make Linux accessible to everyone in the world, not just
    the minority middle-class with the latest hardware and fast
    connections to the Internet.

    While working very well for those who do have all of those things.

    The idea is make the most efficient use of your computer's
    resources and your time.

    2. To encourage true computer literacy, rather than dependence
    upon an artificial user-interface, with the control and freedom
    that true computer literacy brings.

    To free you from dependence on the technocrats.

    Don't let them disinform you: Learning enough bash to very effectively
    run your Linux box is not difficult. It's also fascinating.

    Google the subject. There are dozens of tutorials and free
    courses on the Web.

    If you are using KDE (etc.) at present, start studying the shell
    and practicing on an x-terminal-emulator (I'm sure that KDE and
    the like have a fancy name for the one included in their cutesy
    collections of applications).

    Try this:

    bring up your xterm
    enter "firefox" # without the quotes

    firefox will open in a new window.

    Kill firefox

    Then put this in your /etc/profile:

    alias ff='firefox &'
    alias al='alias'

    (the "&" puts it in the background, freeing up the prompt)

    Then enter:

    .. /etc/profile

    and then enter:

    ff

    Firefox will come up in a new window.

    Enter:

    al

    to see what aliases you have created so far.

    The technocrats want you to believe that you have to click on a
    cutesy icon with your mouse in order to run applications, but that's
    just nonsense. You can enter "ff" faster than you click on an
    icon if your hands are aleady on the keyboard, which they generally
    will be.

    You have to learn how to touch type. It takes a while, but you'll
    never come close to mastering the computer without this skill.
    And the technocrats don't want you to learn this skill. They want
    you to be lost if you can't click on a cutesy icon.

    Tom N

    Mail me here. The other address is a spamtrap.
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  2. Re: The ODE Protocol

  3. Re: The ODE Protocol

    Tom N wrote:
    > The ODE protocol, version 1.0

    would you please just **** OFF?

    Linux lets you run what you want.

    So, **** off and run bash. Don't run KDE. Just please **** off.

    You're ruining the internet for the rest of us.

  4. Retarded (was Re: The ODE Protocol)

    Tom N wrote:
    > The ODE protocol, version 1.0

    http://oldcomputers.net/pics/attache-right.jpg (Tom's New Computer For
    which ODE is designed for)

  5. Re: Retarded (was Re: The ODE Protocol)

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:41:33 +1100, Jim Sawyer wrote:

    >> The ODE protocol, version 1.0

    > http://oldcomputers.net/pics/attache-right.jpg (Tom's New Computer For
    > which ODE is designed for)

    Heh.

    Here's one that wasn't up to the task of running the ODE beta version:

    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/meltedmonitor.jpg

    Looks like it's a pretty serious resource hog.

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  6. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Jan 28, 12:04 pm, Tom N wrote:
    > The ODE protocol, version 1.0
    >
    > The purposes of ODE, the Optimal Desktop Environment, are:
    >
    > 1. To make Linux accessible to everyone in the world, not just
    > the minority middle-class with the latest hardware and fast
    > connections to the Internet.
    >
    > While working very well for those who do have all of those things.
    >
    > The idea is make the most efficient use of your computer's
    > resources and your time.
    >
    > 2. To encourage true computer literacy, rather than dependence
    > upon an artificial user-interface, with the control and freedom
    > that true computer literacy brings.
    >
    > To free you from dependence on the technocrats.
    >
    > Don't let them disinform you: Learning enough bash to very effectively
    > run your Linux box is not difficult. It's also fascinating.
    >
    > Google the subject. There are dozens of tutorials and free
    > courses on the Web.
    >
    > If you are using KDE (etc.) at present, start studying the shell
    > and practicing on an x-terminal-emulator (I'm sure that KDE and
    > the like have a fancy name for the one included in their cutesy
    > collections of applications).

    Technocrats come in all shapes. On this group you'll see some of
    the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel.

    Nasty little men who get off lording their limited computer knowhow
    over those who know less than they do. Who use their knowledge
    like a whip.

    So they love to push KDE because that means the newbie will
    have to turn to them for help, constantly, because KDE is
    quite limited and only _seems_ to be a full-featured user-interface.

    They absolutely don't want the newbies to learn how simple
    running Linux from the commandline really is.

    Because then they won't have to grovel before them for help
    with their computers and endure the insults that they so love
    to post.

    The local schoolyard bully technocrats don't want to engage in an
    intelligent and honest debate over the relative merits of running
    Linux from the commandline or with KDE.

    I mean, they REALLY don't want to debate me.

    That's fine. Their response to these posts just proves to
    anyone with half-a-brain that they know they would lose
    that debate.

    Makes my case for me.

    Thanks, baby technocrats.

    Tom N

    Mail me here. The other address is a spamtrap.
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  7. Re: Retarded (was Re: The ODE Protocol)

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:41:33 +1100, Jim Sawyer wrote:

    > Tom N wrote:
    >> The ODE protocol, version 1.0

    > http://oldcomputers.net/pics/attache-right.jpg (Tom's New Computer For
    > which ODE is designed for)

    Oh, now I understand ...

    ODE = One Doorstop for Everyone!

    Hooray!

  8. Re: Retarded (was Re: The ODE Protocol)

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:22:58 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > Here's one that wasn't up to the task of running the ODE beta version:
    >
    > http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/meltedmonitor.jpg
    >
    > Looks like it's a pretty serious resource hog.

    To be fair, this happened while trying to display Tom's list of people
    whose posts he does not read.

  9. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:52:30 -0800, Tom N wrote:

    > So they love to push KDE because that means the newbie will

    I prefer Xfce, myself. Used to be a Gnome fan too. Can't stand KDE.

    > I mean, they REALLY don't want to debate me.

    Correct. Absolutely nobody wants to talk to you, for any reason.

    > Tom N

    You meant to say "Alan Connor".

    > Mail me here. The other address is a spamtrap.
    > calhobbit at gee mail dot com

    You mean: calhobbit@gmail.com ?

    Why would anyone want to email you, Alan Connor? Do you have a
    Challenge/Response system running on that email address?

    Oops, I hope the spambots don't harvest that email address...

    calhobbit@gmail.com
    calhobbit@gmail.com
    calhobbit@gmail.com

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:
    http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/fga.shtml
    calhobbit@gmail.com

  10. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:52:30 -0800, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> So they love to push KDE because that means the newbie will

    > I prefer Xfce, myself. Used to be a Gnome fan too. Can't stand KDE.
    >
    >> I mean, they REALLY don't want to debate me.

    > Correct. Absolutely nobody wants to talk to you, for any reason.
    >
    >> Tom N

    > You meant to say "Alan Connor".
    >
    >> Mail me here. The other address is a spamtrap.
    >> calhobbit at gee mail dot com

    > You mean: calhobbit@gmail.com ?
    >
    > Why would anyone want to email you, Alan Connor? Do you have a
    > Challenge/Response system running on that email address?
    >
    > Oops, I hope the spambots don't harvest that email address...
    >
    > calhobbit@gmail.com
    > calhobbit@gmail.com
    > calhobbit@gmail.com

    I hope they do, you know why? because that way he *would*
    actually get *some* personal email

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  11. Re: The ODE Protocol

    ok, I'm confused. Is his email calhobbit@gmail.com?
    or mailto:calhobbit@gmail.com?

  12. Re: The ODE Protocol ( calhobbit@gmail.com )

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:58:36 +0000, Ray wrote:

    >> Oops, I hope the spambots don't harvest that email address...
    >>
    >> calhobbit@gmail.com
    >> calhobbit@gmail.com
    >> calhobbit@gmail.com

    > ok, I'm confused. Is his email calhobbit@gmail.com?
    > or mailto:calhobbit@gmail.com?

    The first one:

    calhobbit@gmail.com

    In case you didn't get that one, here it is one more time:

    calhobbit@gmail.com

    I also added it to the subject line, just to be sure.

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:
    http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/fga.shtml
    calhobbit@gmail.com

  13. Re: Retarded (was Re: The ODE Protocol)

    Dan C wrote:

    > http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/meltedmonitor.jpg
    >
    > Looks like it's a pretty serious resource hog.

    Heh, or one of those Linux installs in the earlier days when monitors would
    allow you to set their scan rates too high....

    - Kurt

  14. Re: The ODE Protocol

    Tom N writes:

    > The local schoolyard bully technocrats don't want to engage in an
    > intelligent and honest debate over the relative merits of running
    > Linux from the commandline or with KDE.
    >
    > I mean, they REALLY don't want to debate me.

    Well, given that you "killfile" all those who disagree with you, and
    claim not to read their posts, debate is rather difficult, wouldn't you
    say?

    > That's fine. Their response to these posts just proves to
    > anyone with half-a-brain that they know they would lose
    > that debate.

    How do you know how they respond if you can't see their posts?

    > Makes my case for me.

    Wishful thinking Tom, wishful thinking.

    The O.D.E actually sounds like the outline of a good idea - but what we
    need to see is some detail, some scripts, some actual deployment of that
    bash expertise you prize so highly. That, and that alone, is what will
    make your case. It may well be that lots of us run something rather like
    that anyway, and would be interested to see how *you* develop this.

    That being said there is nothing wrong with KDE, especially for users who
    just want to be that - users. Here we run Sawfish (because it is
    stylish, minimal and above all, Lisp!) and KDE for the family who want to
    read their email, browse the web and do their homework. Why not?

    Within the ODE what window manager set-up do you propose to use?

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  15. Re: The ODE Protocol

    Hallo, Glyn,

    Du meintest am 29.01.08:

    [****]

    >> I mean, they REALLY don't want to debate me.

    > Well, given that you "killfile" all those who disagree with you, and
    > claim not to read their posts, debate is rather difficult, wouldn't
    > you say?

    "Tom N" is a troll - why do you feed it?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  16. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Jan 28, 4:52 pm, Tom N wrote:

    For those who are strangers here, I should note that some of the
    regulars
    on aols, the truly knowledgable members, are extremely nice and
    helpful people. They don't have anything to do with the trolling or
    the
    bullying.

    That's one of the things I'm learning here: To use my killfile and the
    advanced group search feature at googlegroups to just cut the
    bullies and trolls out of my life.

    I haven't read a single reply on this thread because I know who the
    posters are, and that they have nothing to say worth reading.

    (I don't read from googlegroups, I just post from here.)

    They've been posting garbage to me every since I arrived on the
    group. But I'm still here and still post what I have to say and every
    day I get better at shutting the trolls and bullies out.

    But they don't even notice that their malicious blabbing has no
    significant effect on me. The truth is, I don't think they even read
    my posts. Or
    anyone's posts.

    What they are doing is projecting their self-loathing on others and
    then trying to destroy it by trying to destroy those people.

    Unfortunately, that doesn't work in any medium, and on the
    Usenet it is just laughable.

    They are like juvenile gangsters with guns that are shooting blanks
    who
    think they are shooting real bullets. So they jump out from behind a
    car and fire away at their target and then run off with their tails
    between
    their legs, congradulating themselves for shooting someone in the
    back.

    The fact that they have just attempted to do something utterly immoral
    and illegal and despiccable doesn't even cross their minds.

    Because they are sociopaths.

    Tom

    > On Jan 28, 12:04 pm, Tom N wrote:
    >

    > > The ODE protocol, version 1.0

    > > The purposes of ODE, the Optimal Desktop Environment, are:

    > > 1. To make Linux accessible to everyone in the world, not just
    > > the minority middle-class with the latest hardware and fast
    > > connections to the Internet.

    > > While working very well for those who do have all of those things.

    > > The idea is make the most efficient use of your computer's
    > > resources and your time.

    > > 2. To encourage true computer literacy, rather than dependence
    > > upon an artificial user-interface, with the control and freedom
    > > that true computer literacy brings.

    > > To free you from dependence on the technocrats.

    > > Don't let them disinform you: Learning enough bash to very effectively
    > > run your Linux box is not difficult. It's also fascinating.

    > > Google the subject. There are dozens of tutorials and free
    > > courses on the Web.

    > > If you are using KDE (etc.) at present, start studying the shell
    > > and practicing on an x-terminal-emulator (I'm sure that KDE and
    > > the like have a fancy name for the one included in their cutesy
    > > collections of applications).

    > Technocrats come in all shapes. On this group you'll see some of
    > the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel.
    >
    > Nasty little men who get off lording their limited computer knowhow
    > over those who know less than they do. Who use their knowledge
    > like a whip.
    >
    > So they love to push KDE because that means the newbie will
    > have to turn to them for help, constantly, because KDE is
    > quite limited and only _seems_ to be a full-featured user-interface.
    >
    > They absolutely don't want the newbies to learn how simple
    > running Linux from the commandline really is.
    >
    > Because then they won't have to grovel before them for help
    > with their computers and endure the insults that they so love
    > to post.
    >
    > The local schoolyard bully technocrats don't want to engage in an
    > intelligent and honest debate over the relative merits of running
    > Linux from the commandline or with KDE.
    >
    > I mean, they REALLY don't want to debate me.
    >
    > That's fine. Their response to these posts just proves to
    > anyone with half-a-brain that they know they would lose
    > that debate.
    >
    > Makes my case for me.
    >
    > Thanks, baby technocrats.
    >
    > Tom N

    Mail me here. The other address is a spamtrap.
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  17. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:01:19 -0800, A. Sphincter wrote:

    **plonk**

    again

  18. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:04:40 -0800, Tom N wrote:

    [SNIP]

    > Try this:
    >
    > bring up your xterm
    > enter "firefox" # without the quotes
    >
    > firefox will open in a new window.
    >
    > Kill firefox
    >
    > Then put this in your /etc/profile:
    >
    > alias ff='firefox &'
    > alias al='alias'
    >
    > (the "&" puts it in the background, freeing up the prompt)
    >
    > Then enter:
    >
    > . /etc/profile
    >
    > and then enter:
    >
    > ff
    >
    > Firefox will come up in a new window.
    >
    > Enter:
    >
    > al
    >
    > to see what aliases you have created so far.

    Dude! Seriously! Do you really think this is the appropriate NG for
    advanced **** like that? My head is spinning!

    Kevin

  19. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:01:19 -0800, Tom N wrote:

    Hey dickmunch. Now that you're posting from Google Gropes, you've given
    out another little piece of the puzzle that helps to confirm you're
    actually "Alan Connor" (or "Bruce Burhans"), whichever it is.

    Hint: IP address in your headers...

    LOL

    Bugger off and leave, wanker.

    calhobbit@gmail.com
    simpleman.s43@gmail.com

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:
    http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/fga.shtml
    calhobbit@gmail.com

  20. Re: The ODE Protocol

    On Wed, 29 Jan 2008, Kevin Curran wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:04:40 -0800, Tom N wrote:
    >
    > [SNIP]
    >

    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> bring up your xterm
    >> enter "firefox" # without the quotes
    >>
    >> firefox will open in a new window.
    >>
    >> Kill firefox
    >>
    >> Then put this in your /etc/profile:
    >>
    >> alias ff='firefox &'
    >> alias al='alias'
    >>
    >> (the "&" puts it in the background, freeing up the prompt)
    >>
    >> Then enter:
    >>
    >> . /etc/profile
    >>
    >> and then enter:
    >>
    >> ff
    >>
    >> Firefox will come up in a new window.
    >>
    >> Enter:
    >>
    >> al
    >>
    >> to see what aliases you have created so far.
    >>

    > Dude! Seriously! Do you really think this is the appropriate NG for
    > advanced **** like that? My head is spinning!

    Advanced? WTF? Sorry, any 14yo kid can set up basic stuff like this

    --
    Cheers
    Res

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast