hdparm and drive spindown Q - Slackware

This is a discussion on hdparm and drive spindown Q - Slackware ; I see hdparm -y or hdparm -Y can spindown my hard drive, but how do I query the drive to see if it's spinning without causing it to spin up? hdparm -S sets the timeout, is there something in /proc ...

  1. hdparm and drive spindown Q

    I see hdparm -y or hdparm -Y can spindown my hard drive, but how do I
    query the drive to see if it's spinning without causing it to spin up?

    hdparm -S sets the timeout, is there something in /proc to see if the
    drive is spinning?

    I looked in /proc/ide/hda/settings but there's nothing in there to
    indicate if the drive has spun down - or at least not on the machine I'm
    looking at...

  2. Re: hdparm and drive spindown Q

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 04:46:56 GMT, Ray wrote:

    >I see hdparm -y or hdparm -Y can spindown my hard drive, but how do I
    >query the drive to see if it's spinning without causing it to spin up?
    >
    >hdparm -S sets the timeout, is there something in /proc to see if the
    >drive is spinning?
    >
    >I looked in /proc/ide/hda/settings but there's nothing in there to
    >indicate if the drive has spun down - or at least not on the machine I'm
    >looking at...

    But you didn't RTFM --> man hdparm:

    -C Check the current IDE power mode status, which will always be one of
    unknown (drive does not support this command), active/idle (normal oper-
    ation), standby (low power mode, drive has spun down), or sleeping (low-
    est power mode, drive is completely shut down). The -S, -y, -Y, and -Z
    flags can be used to manipulate the IDE power modes.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: hdparm and drive spindown Q

    Grant wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 04:46:56 GMT, Ray wrote:
    >
    >> I see hdparm -y or hdparm -Y can spindown my hard drive, but how do I
    >> query the drive to see if it's spinning without causing it to spin up?
    >>
    >> hdparm -S sets the timeout, is there something in /proc to see if the
    >> drive is spinning?
    >>
    >> I looked in /proc/ide/hda/settings but there's nothing in there to
    >> indicate if the drive has spun down - or at least not on the machine I'm
    >> looking at...

    > But you didn't RTFM --> man hdparm:
    >
    > -C Check the current IDE power mode status, which will always be one of
    > unknown (drive does not support this command), active/idle (normal oper-
    > ation), standby (low power mode, drive has spun down), or sleeping (low-
    > est power mode, drive is completely shut down). The -S, -y, -Y, and -Z
    > flags can be used to manipulate the IDE power modes.
    >
    > Grant.

    whoops.

    hdparm --help shows it, but it had scrolled off the screen.

    aargh.

+ Reply to Thread